Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Small Body Guitar Association..........

onewilyfool

A '36 is seven years too old to be an LG-anything. The standard table for distinguishing between the '30s-era L-00' date=' L-0, L-1, and L-2 can be found HERE. Given the fact that Gibson is Gibson, there's not always a well-defined answer to the question "What model is this?", but you should find the info helpful.

-- Bob R

Well Bob, thanks to your link I've (nearly) identified my guitar, and even cooler, validated the story I was told by the guy in NY.

per that link:

Back to the L-00. In 1937 things kind of reversed themselves, and the L-00 got back binding and shortly thereafter the L-0 lost back binding. So in 1937, the only difference between L-00 and L-0 was the finish, with one having a sunburst and the other black (but, this switched, too). See the table below to determine which flavor you have. (The biggest difference between the models is back body binding and the color.)

Pretty much exactly what he told me about the high and low end models flip-flopping features in the mid-30's.

11936gibsonlg00.jpg

I am assuming this is the large sunburst, as it fits that description. The top and back are both bound, and it's a 14 fret model with dot inlay fret markers.

Thus it's either a 1936 L1 or L0, or it's a 1937 L00. Because it's a large sunburst, I believe this is a 1937 L00. It fits this description the best:

Sunburst black bridge pins

pickguard

"large" sunburst

bound back

14 frets clear L-00 1937-1945

Sadly the S/N is unreadable save for 2 numbers - the rest is faded out.

Also odd is that it's a large sunburst, but not "clear" - the black is really black. Hmmm...and no mention of the sound-hole inlay as an indicator.

Ah well - I love her, so I guess with love being blind it doesn't really matter what she is, but I'd sure like to nail it down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... Does anyone know of a guitar company making acoustics the size of LGs? I've about decided that's the best size for me.

Well, there's always Gibson. While there's no LG-size/shaped guitar currently in production, they've built them (limited editions) in the recent past and will be happy to build one for you if you have your dealer ask them to. Also, Dan Roberts, formerly of Gibson/MT and SCGC, is building an LG-2-like guitar: see this thread on the UMGF and/or his Facebook page for more info.

-- Bob R

Thank you. I'm afraid a custom build is beyond me. It is surprising that no one is building this size. Have a good weekend.

Don't turn away from the custom guitar, I have seen some John How guitars for sale recently at very reasonable prices. There was one for sale on the Acoustic Guitar Forum very recently for a good price. You never know what you are going to find.

I dont' see how custom orders can be that expensive. The dealer doesn't have to shell out anything, no wall hanging expenses and overhead.....just a paper order....I would get quotes for your desired specifications from 3 or 4 dealers.

I dont' see how custom orders can be that expensive. The dealer doesn't have to shell out anything, no wall hanging expenses and overhead.....just a paper order....I would get quotes for your desired specifications from 3 or 4 dealers.

• 8 months later...

I think the mods should lock this thread. There are many sad people out there recovering from GAS.

I am one of them. I think I have just regressed 12 steps!!! There are so many beauties on here

I dont know which I want the most....I ll start with the mahogany 12 fret Nick Lucas....may be a L-00.

Or WOFs L-20...I ve got to go..

I thought I would join in with my small body guitars. Only one is a Gibson, but it's a really good one. The three guitars are a 1896 Washburn, the Gibson L-00 Legend, and a Collings C-10. All really nice guitars. All the exact same body size. The Washburn is Rosewood, the other two are Mahogany.

Anne

three-amigos.jpg

L-00.jpg

I thought I would join in with my small body guitars. Only one is a Gibson, but it's a really good one. The three guitars are a 1896 Washburn, the Gibson L-00 Legend, and a Collings C-10. All really nice guitars. All the exact same body size. The Washburn is Rosewood, the other two are Mahogany.

Anne

Yes, very nice, Anne, thanks for posting them - I've never seen an L-00 set up left-handed - how do you like your Legend?

My Legend is probably the best guitar I've ever heard. Everything about it is perfect. I love the neck, the size and the sound of it. I had a pick up put in and I play it out a lot and it always sounds great, no matter what type of music I'm doing. Last year in Bozeman Ren said it was the best sounding new L-00 he'd heard.

Anne

My Legend is probably the best guitar I've ever heard. Everything about it is perfect. I love the neck, the size and the sound of it. I had a pick up put in and I play it out a lot and it always sounds great, no matter what type of music I'm doing. Last year in Bozeman Ren said it was the best sounding new L-00 he'd heard.

Anne

Anne as I remember that guitar....it had some pretty nice figured mahogany didn't it??? PICS????

I've played catch and release with many, but this one is my sole surviving member of this Association. (Photographed at just the right distance to hide its MANY repair scars).

lg-2029.jpg

I don't have any personal pics yet, but I just bought one of these Nick Lucas copies on ebay (for way less than the price listed in the link). I'm having fun with it. Though not made by Gibson in Bozeman, a lot of Gibby spirit definitely went into it. See, http://www.fox-guitars.com/Fox_-_Nick_Lucas_Special.html

Anne

You obviously flipped those pictures around otherwise the pickguards are on the wrong side and they are all strung up incorrectly [flapper][confused][biggrin]

Archived