Gibson Brands Forums

GAS for archtop

btoth76

Hello!

I was hoping that Gibson comes out with an affordable arch-top, as it was promised at NAMM '15. It didn't happen, unfortunately.

Yesterday, while picking picks at a local store, - in the corner of my eye - I noticed something very nice. I walked there. It was a Godin 5th Avenue with a P-90 pickup in the neck position. I was blown away. It was beautiful, it was simple.

As it turned out to be, the shop is an official Godin dealership. After having a chat with an employee of the shop, I've found out it has an all-acoustic version too.

68333_l.jpg

Canadian-made, from local materials. It has the impression of a very well made guitar. I couldn't find anything disappointing about it, except for the absence of hardcase. Not even gigbag is given with the instrument, but...

...it costs 519 USD (Sweetwater) / 589 EUR (Thomann) / 529 GBP (Guitarguitar)!

In Hungary: 150.000 Forints (510 EUR).

I will settle this thought down a bit, don't want to hurry buying it. I want to see whether the lust lasts for it.

Anyone of You have experience with this guitar? Is it as good, as it seems to be?

Cheers... Bence

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey Bence!

I don't think you can go terribly wrong with Godin's they seem to be quite well built.

there is also Eastman,

on a personal note, I have two production line Epiphones

a regent, (single pickup) and a broadway. Both are quite nice, play real good, sound nice and not all that bad on the wallet.

You can't find regents as they are disco'd but, broadways are still in production.

for example: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETBWNAGH

Hello Ray!

Yes, while there, I have noticed a red Epiphone Broadway too! Very nice, especially in natural, as in Your link!

But somehow, I got under the spell of the Godin, and couldn't really look at other guitars. :D

Cheers... Bence

I am a very big fan of arch tops, acoustic and electric. I own a few, and none of them are Godin.

The Godin is a well built guitar, for sure. The thing is that the best arch tops have punch and a good solid tone before you plug them in. Every Godin I have played, and especially in that price range is seriously lacking in that regard.

In the under $1,000 USD range, my pick is the Epiphone Broadway. It's got a truly solid build and tone to go with it. Not everyone likes the frequensator tailpiece, but I find that it adds a lot to the acoustic nature of the guitar, and really, an arch top is supposed to be a amplified acoustic.

You do have to tack on another hundred dollars or so for a good hardshell caee though.

With that in mind, I actually think that at about $300.00 USD more the D'Angelico EXL-1 can't be beat. And the price includes a nice case as well.

The guitar is beautiful to look it, it's unique tailpiece design is quite similar to frequensator in its performance, with its bass strings further from the bridge and nut for extra low response, and the guitar has tone coming out its wazoo.

It plays like a dream, And with flatwound strings it can sting like a hornet or be as sweetly soft as a lullaby.

It features a single floating humbucker so that unlike so many other arch tops, there is no extra hole cut for mounting the pick up, and your tone and volume controls are mounted on your pick guard so no extra holes are cut into its body for those either. In that way it truly is much more of am amplified acoustic, rather than a true electric guitar.

When I first got mine I was worried about the oversized headstock being heavy and therefore being tiring in a long performance setting.48 hours after getting mine I brought to an outdoor gig for a 5 hour workout and never once felt fatigued.

I play mine through an acoustic guitar amp which pulls even more of the 'wood' tone from the guitar.

The guitar is manufactured in Korea, and the company offers direct email for customer service.

I have written them a few times with service questions and have received direct replies from their head luthier each time within 4 hours of my writing.

Good luck whichever way you go!

Hello Ray!

Yes, while there, I have noticed a red Epiphone Broadway too! Very nice, especially in natural, as in Your link!

But somehow, I got under the spell of the Godin, and couldn't really look at other guitars. :D

Cheers... Bence

For the broadways, and even at the tail end of the production run of the regents, that's the only finish they are available they used to come in cherry and vintage burst.

and with these, buying new the case is not included as well.. -- sigh... so add another $90 USD,,

The Godin is a well built guitar, for sure. The thing is that the best arch tops have punch and a good solid tone before you plug them in. Every Godin I have played, and especially in that price range is seriously lacking in that regard.

Hello!

Thank You for Your opinion! [thumbup]

One thing that I have noticed about the Godin, that it sounds bright, indeed.

I try to avoid purchasing on impulse, so I'll give it a several tries. So far, even though I personally prefer mellower sounding instruments, I like it's tone, it's brightness isn't that harsh that couldn't live with it. I definitely don't expect it to be the very best sounding jazzbox at this price, but still it has an outstandingly great value for price ratio - as I see now.

Thank You again!

Cheers... Bence

For the broadways, and even at the tail end of the production run of the regents, that's the only finish they are available they used to come in cherry and vintage burst.

and with these, buying new the case is not included as well.. -- sigh... so add another $90 USD,,

That got me thinking...

...what was that Epiphone jazzbox I saw in red there then? :-k

I couldn't find it on Epiphone site, either.

Cheers... Bence

was this a current production model?

was it the swingster?

or a sorrento? (more like a casion with a single cutaway)

It might have been the Swingster, but some reason I remember it with PAF-like pickups. Anyways, I will take a second glance at it next time...

Cheers... Bence

the only thing that comes to mind with P90s was the EPI ES295,

but I think they were gold finished.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-es-295-electric-guitar-with-bigsby-vibrato

btw.. I have a swingster white royale as well as the regent and the broadway, great guitar, lots of fun, really good playability tone.

Godin are very well made as stated. I was looking at them when I was shopping for an archtop but was turned off by their weak sound un-plugged. Acoustically the sound was flat, dull, weak, however you want to put it. Everything else was great. Plugged in they sound as good as any. For me tho, it has to sound good by itself first.

Gibson, Heritage, were way to pricey for my budget. Eastmans, Ibanez and Epiphones models were good in different ways but when it came down to the purchase I went with a Peerless Cremona. It was a tough choice as there were several Peerless models, each a little different, to choose from. It finally came down to the Imperial or Cremona. Both carved solid tops, not laminates, either Spruce or Maple. The Cremona just sounded right. Not as high pitched as the laminates, (ie; Jazz City, Monarch, New Yorker), and livelier than the spruce top Imperial. Also, the Cremona had a nicer selection of finishes to choose from. The build quality is absolutely great. I find myself playing for hours at a clip without issue. And the sound acoustically or plugged in is simply fantastic.

Peerless are a bit pricier than the others but the level of craftsmanship is noticeably better, especially over the Epiphones.

If tyou are looking to spend a bit less the Ibanez are very well built and there are plenty of configurations to choose from. Seems like the Signature models come from Japan the rest from China according to an Ibanez rep I had a chance to speak with while shopping for a semi hollow body.

My only complaint on the Epiphone model archtops was the finish. If you are okay with bowling alley thick poly finishes then no problem. To me it sounded a bit dead and just did not feel right to the hand. Might not be the case on a top of the line unit.

Eastmans, no complaint, just did not give me the warm and fuzzies.

oh hey,, ya know while were on the Epi Fan Boy tirade, there is also the ES175 Premium. RCT has one.. he seems to dig it.

Well, in fact my dream jazzbox is the ES-175. I never even played one, Gibson or Epiphone! Just heard it's tone here and there, and it's just the perfect tone I can think of. Of any guitar!

I am like a driver after a car accident, having bad experiences with Epiphones, I am bit afraid of them. Also, the budget is tight. Still stacking pennies for that wonderful Palmer amp...

What a problems I have... :D

Cheers... Bence

When I was looking for a deep archtop, I looked at a few Godin 5th Ave (very nice) and few others, including Epi. I ended up with a Guild.

If you have a chance, take a look at Guild, Ibanez and Hagstrom.

Have fun hunting! .. B)

Wait a minute!

Did You say, RCT likes them?

[scared]

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!

Well, in fact my dream jazzbox is the ES-175. I never even played one,

then don't ever pick up and play a good Gibson ES175..

You will loose sleep over it. they'll suck you in.

I am like a driver after a car accident, having bad experiences with Epiphones,

My Broadway is killer, totally flawless, and plays really great.. I love it loads.

Well, as I see now, I got to learn a lot before making a final decision.

There is lot more out there than I thought.

Hm... :-k

I will visit my favorite shop and spend some time there.

Thanks to all of You!

Have a nice weekend!

Bence

production line Epi's from Korea have come quite a ways Bence.

I've had some not so great ones too, back from the early 90s or there abouts.

The newer ones, are quite good. Too bad we weren't neighbors, I'd show you my epi collection and you'd probably come away with a different overall opinion.

the best of the lot, without doubt is the Elitist Country Gent, the swingster, regent and broadway are great.. for some roll of the dice lucky chance, my broadway is one of the best players I've seen in these. bought that on line, and I was happily surprised with the fit finish action etc..

but it's often a crap shot.. so you're not wrong in your caution.

cheers bud! have a good weekend.

With an f-hole or archtop guitar you really do get what you pay for. Spend more and you will get a better guitar but that doesn't mean it will work/play for you.

My suggestion is to have a budget figure, find out what you can get for that in your area - Peerless and Ibanez have been mentioned, both impressive - but before you finally decide.......discover whether there are any good guitar makers near you.

If you can find one who makes archtop guitars (this is very different from building solid-bodies) ask what they would make you for the money.

However it could be a risk too - what happens if he makes it then you don't like it? So you have to know and specify details of what you want.

I did this in 1979. I was looking at ES175s which were about £500 at the time then I got an introduction to D*ck Knight, a highly reputable English guitar maker who - it turned out - lived not far away.

I ended up with 3 of his guitars.

With an f-hole or archtop guitar you really do get what you pay for. Spend more and you will get a better guitar but that doesn't mean it will work/play for you.

sage advice.

I went the low end route simply because I'm not by trade a jazz player... but I like to dabble, and I like the overall sound and feel of the larger body, but I can't justify the expensive models like the L4 or the L5 for example.

Ooops, I meant at about $300.00 MORE! I'll edit the change, thanks.

[thumbup]

btw,, those do look nice.. I was tempted when I bought my broadway to go that route,, but the price tag on the Epi was attractive!

I love mine, very high quality, only thing to complain about is the bridge posts that is a bit to long, i´m to lazy to do anything about that though [rolleyes]

Another thing, if you buy one, buy the hardcase too, the lightest and at the same time the sturdiest i´ve encountered.

And it cut through fine in a band setting, my little band did a recording on my Zoom camera thing a fun night, that Guitar sounds really nice.

Archived