Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Custom

Bozz

I am about ready to treat myself to a new guitar. I am thinking of going with a rosewood short scale, so I'm seriously considering a J45 Custom. Does anyone out there have one? Or have an opinion on them?

I am unable to find a new one nearby to actually get my hands on. The only 5 Star Gibson dealer in my home state recently closed its doors and the next closest one is down the interstate about 10 hours. The local Guitar Centers don't stock anything higher than J45 Standards, or Hummingbird Pro's, so buying online seems to be my only realistic option. But, dropping nearly $3K on a guitar I have never touched or even seen, frankly scares the heck out of me. Any suggestions on a good way to go about an online purchase will be appreciated.

I see Sweetwater posts actual photographs and even the weight of specific guitars that you can choose from. I like that a lot. They also offer 24 months of interest free payments which I like as well. Guitar center offers 18 months interest free, but they don't post any photo's. Any thoughts on those types of dealers?

I have a j35 that is light as a feather which I love. Is there a tonal difference between a light weight guitar and a heavy one?

Enough questions. Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Bozz,

The 45 Custom is a great guitar, I have no doubt that you would be thrilled with one. As far as a correlation between weight and sound some may say yes and some may say no. Every guitar will be different. The 45 custom will weigh more than the J-35 primarily from the rosewood. The two guitars will compliment each other very well.

JM

These online retailers all have good reps, show pics of the actual guitar for sale (not stock advert pics), they check the guitar over before shipping, and have a decent return policy. I have purchased instruments from all of them.

Sweetwater . (Fort Wayne, Indiana)

The Music Zoo . (Roslyn, New York)

Wildwood Guitars . (Louisville, Colorado)

Rainbow Guitars . (Tucson, Arizona)

Excellent rep -

Fullers Vintage Guitar - . (Houston, Texas) . can't advertise Gibsons online, but will work with you through email and phone.

Boss, I was fortunate to be able to purchase a new J45C (in Koa) about 10 months ago. It soon became, and remains to this day - my favorite. I really love my other 2 guitars, but I like my J45C way more. I'm sure you'll feel as strongly when you get yours. And, I got it from Rainbow in Tucson, adjusted the action to my specs and put on my choice of strings. Well packed, shipped that day. Super service. G'Luck.

Hi Bozz. I also own a J45 Custom and it has become my favorite acoustic guitar. I can't help but think you will love one as well. I also will testify that I have purchased from both Rainbow Guitars in Tucson & Wildwood Guitars too. Both are very reputable dealers and will take very good care of you. Good luck with your decision & hopefully with the acquisition of a Gibson J45 Custom soon! [thumbup]

I am about ready to treat myself to a new guitar. I am thinking of going with a rosewood short scale, so I'm seriously considering a J45 Custom. Does anyone out there have one? Or have an opinion on them?

I recently purchased a J-45 Custom RW and I really like this guitar. It's got a soul made of gold and it's worth the money. I played four different ones (well, one was a mystic) and they did all sound a bit different. I feel I'd not be disappointed in owning any of th ones I played even though I did get to choose from several.

This particular J-45 model is really special sounding. It's got a depth of character I rarely encounter.

Greetings Bozz,

Though I don't have the J-45 RW Custom, I did an on-line purchase of a Wine Red Limited Edition J-45 three weeks ago, from Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, Colorado. I had never made such a purchase on-line before, and I must say that this particular dealer (I dealt with the owner, Steve Mesple) was graciously accommodating, and understanding in addressing my particular concerns. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and will not hesitate to deal with them (Wildwood) in the future.

Best of luck in your own search!!!

David

I had a bit of trouble finding a dealer with a J-45 Custom in stock. I found J-45 Standards, Limiteds, Collectors, Deluxes, New Vintage, True Vintage, Blue ones, red ones, black ones, etc, etc. But no Customs. I tried Fullers, Wildwood, Rainbow and Music Zoo and a few others and nobody actually had one hanging on a wall, or even sitting in the back room. I ended up picking one out and ordering from Sweetwater. Hopefully it sounds a nice as it looks. It should be sitting on my lap by the middle of next week.

Thanks for all the good feedback.

I had a bit of trouble finding a dealer with a J-45 Custom in stock. I found J-45 Standards, Limiteds, Collectors, Deluxes, New Vintage, True Vintage, Blue ones, red ones, black ones, etc, etc. But no Customs. I tried Fullers, Wildwood, Rainbow and Music Zoo and a few others and nobody actually had one hanging on a wall, or even sitting in the back room. I ended up picking one out and ordering from Sweetwater. Hopefully it sounds a nice as it looks. It should be sitting on my lap by the middle of next week.

Thanks for all the good feedback.

Congrats Bozz! Please keep us posted and share your impressions when it arrives. I always love the excitement when someone scores a Gibson Acoustic of this stature. Looking forward to any pictures you want to share as well. Be prepared to hear angels sing. :) [thumbup]

Archived