Gibson Brands Forums

Sudden GAS attack. A Strat.

btoth76

Thank You, Marcos!

Yes, it was the last at the regional distributor. They do have the red on stock, but that's priced approximately 140 USD higher.

The next plan (on a longer term) is, to replace the bridge with a Blade Runner unit. According to Donny, that's the best one.

I never been a fan of tremolo, but why not give it a try...

I set it up tomorrow, along with the LP Recording which needs a fret job, and the rest of the weekend will be spent with getting along with the Strat.

Cheers... Bence

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea,, definitely true with all the makers these days.

I may sound like I'm broadcasting my indifference due to age, but,,, when I started out, as a teen age kid trying to cut my teeth on this instrument, it was really quite simple.. a strat, was a strat, a tele was a tele. that was it. the only thing you had to figure out was what color over a handful of options, and what fretboard you desired,,

and that's even if you HAD the luxury to choose.

some what true for Les Pauls,, Standards, Deluxe, and Customs.... not a lot of cross breeding...

/ray

Yes, Ray. I kind of understand Your point, and agree with You. I'd prefer a transparent model palette too.

On the other hand, I could never buy a Les Paul Custom, if Gibson didn't introduce the Classic Custom model, at such a great price point.

Even though, my vision of the Les Pauls is the trinity of the classic Standard/Deluxe/Custom range, but it's hard to refuse a Classic, or a Traditional.

It is what it is. At least, we all can find what we are looking for.

Best wishes... Bence

What a BABE!

Stunning, Bence. Great Score!!!

[thumbup]

And of all the maple 'boarded Fenders I've owned over nearly 40 years the satin-finished one on my cheap-as-chips Squier is easily my favourite.

It has 'polished' up through use to be as comfy as an old pair of Levi's.

...but what's this?.....

The next plan is, to replace the bridge with a Blade Runner unit...

[scared]

That's akin to swapping out the low-impedance Recording p'ups for a set of EMG's!!

The 6-screw tremolo bridge is one of the best things a Strat has to offer!!!

Our friendship is teetering on the brink, Bence.......[crying]

Pip.

...but what's this?.....

[scared]

That's akin to swapping out the low-impedance Recording p'ups for a set of EMG's!!

The 6-screw tremolo bridge is one of the best things a Strat has to offer!!!

Our friendship is teetering on the brink, Bence.......[crying]

Pip.

Hello Pippy!

Uh oh! Pardon me! I didn't knew it was a sacred thing for Strat owners! [scared]

Maybe, it's Donny playing tricks with me. [sneaky]

Thank You, Pippy, for the compliment on the guitar, and the warning too!

Have a nice weekend... Bence

[laugh]

Nah, Bence. I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who likes things as they were before I was born...

And if anyone knows how to set up a Strat it's Donny. I miss the old Grouch!

Have a great weekend yourselves!

P.

Same Texas Special pickups, as in the Deluxe Roadhouse:

WP_20150612_11_03_33_Pro_zpsmwebqg9d.jpg

Very nice! Needs a setup - nothing unexpected about it. Surprisingly light instrument.

Cheers... Bence

STUNNING STRAT BENCE!!!!! [thumbup]

That guitar just oozes vintage mojo. I will be most anxious for your impression of the Texas Special pickups. You're going to have a blast playing that gorgeous guitar. Enjoy my friend!!! And when you float back to earth after reaching tonal nirvana - please share your impressions! She just looks very comfortable to play! Wow! Love it! I'm very happy for you!!! B)

Hi Bence!

Looks very nice - congratulations indeed!

A rock or blues guitarist must have a Strat!

There is a lot you can do to improve the stock tremelo performance and action before you go to fitting an expensive Blade-Runner or similar....there are several videos on uTube.

Best wishes; I think this guitar will inspire many new musical ideas!

BEAUTIFUL Bence! My two favorite Strat / Tele finishes are Tobacco Burst and Surf Green! As I've been a Fender guy most all my life, I predict you'll love that puppy!

Yeah- Fender is even more confusing to me, because of the various countries of manufacture. Fender does have a better price point, however manufacturing process for Fender vs. Gibson are quite different. Leo originally designed the Tele, and then the Strat, to be a "componentized" guitar, Bolt on neck, pups attached to pickguard etc. In my one Fender book they describe him as the "Henry Ford" of guitars! And yet prices back then (late 40s, early 50s)ran around $200.00 with case! That was a chunk of change back then! (From Duchossoir (spelling error?)book, Tele $169.00 and $39.00 for a case). Don't know hat Gibbys were going for back then, but I don't believe there was a comparable model, as Gibson used set neck, carved top, etc- very labor intensive.

ANYWAY- very good looking guitar! Let us know how you're liking it and what your mods will be! I'm glad you were able to score it for such a reasonable price!

Brian

Hehe! Back after a very busy weekend...

HPIM5816_zpspwuydxa4.jpg

I took it home on friday and gave it a very thorough inspection. The guitar is flawless. It wasn't setup, however Fender was smart enough to explain why, in the user's manual. Basically, action was too high, and the bridge was lifting too much. I've adjusted the string height and radius, and as a result of this the bridge went back to normal position.

The guitar was made in 2013. Probably, that's why it's price was lowered. But it's still a brand-new, unused guitar with all the foils and stickers.

After removing all the stickers, I plugged it in. What I immediately noticed, is the ergonomics of the guitar's body and the very smooth feel of the neck and fretboard. The second thing I have noticed: it is quiet, no 50-cycle hum!!!

The other surprise came, when I started to play it at higher gain. It not only screams, but it sustains like a Les Paul. I mean, it really does!

Even at lower gains, or played clean at higher volumes, the hot pickups push the amp into overdrive. I had to back off the volume a little bit. Bright sounding monster it is. Still, for some reason I feel it closer to my Gibson L6S (490R/498T pickups), than to my Tele (Hot AlNiCo pickups). It throws pinch harmonics so easily. I slightly lowered the treble side of each pickup, just by a hair. The neck pickup is muddy at higher gain. The in-between positions are very nice, in contrast with the bridge pickup's cutting, edgy sound.

The satin finish of the entire neck, is superb. Really comfortable. Encourages fast playing, makes the player confident hurrying up-and-down the fretboard. It doesn't sticks, nor it is slippery. Feels just perfect.

My conclusion, it is a very comfortable to play, metal machine. Just perfect for neo-classical shredding.

I love it, I keep it. :)

Cheers... Bence

Delighted you found a Strat which suits you to a T, Bence.

Have a Great Deal of Fun!

[thumbup]

P.

Hmmmm.........After rct's thread and now reading your report I think it's time to swich this thing off and drag out my own Strat...

BEAUTIFUL Bence! My two favorite Strat / Tele finishes are Tobacco Burst and Surf Green! As I've been a Fender guy most all my life, I predict you'll love that puppy!

Yeah- Fender is even more confusing to me, because of the various countries of manufacture. Fender does have a better price point, however manufacturing process for Fender vs. Gibson are quite different. Leo originally designed the Tele, and then the Strat, to be a "componentized" guitar, Bolt on neck, pups attached to pickguard etc. In my one Fender book they describe him as the "Henry Ford" of guitars! And yet prices back then (late 40s, early 50s)ran around $200.00 with case! That was a chunk of change back then! (From Duchossoir (spelling error?)book, Tele $169.00 and $39.00 for a case). Don't know hat Gibbys were going for back then, but I don't believe there was a comparable model, as Gibson used set neck, carved top, etc- very labor intensive.

ANYWAY- very good looking guitar! Let us know how you're liking it and what your mods will be! I'm glad you were able to score it for such a reasonable price!

Brian

Hello Brian!

According to a contemporary brochure the new Les Paul model costed $240 in 1952. I don't know whether the case was included or not. Of course, the philosophy behind these two brands are worlds apart.

That's why it is very hard compare it to a Gibson of the same price from the aspect of quality. Only as far as the product designation is concerned: it's the entry level U.S.-made Stratocaster. However, - because of the construction of Fender guitars -, the difference between an entry level and a standard range instrument is not that obvious at first sight, than - let's say - between a LPJ/LPM and a LP Standard.

I'd rather call this Strat a Traditional, than a Studio. It's a complete Stratocaster minus the contemporary features of the evolution of this instrument: no neck tilt, vintage-style tremolo, no Bi-flex truss rod, and comes only with gigbag.

If an American Standard costs $1.300, what I got for $832 (at current exchange rate) is lot!

Cheers... Bence

Hey Bence, why do you want to change the bridge?

I can't quite see from your pictures, but does your bridge float off the top of your guitar (The factory set up usually has a bout 1/8 of an inch space between the bottom of the bridge, and the top of the body) if that's the case,, you may want to do what a lot of us do and tighten the claw screws till it sits flat. Fender does this to allow up / down use on the trem (like a bigsby) but any pressure that your picking hand puts in the bridge will cause your pitch to go sharp. It'll drive ya crazy,, I lock all mine down... And if you use some lube on the nut and the saddles (big bends nut sauce for example), you'll probably find tuning is quite stable.

I know Donny likes to mod all his guitars, and he does know what he's doing, but seriously, IMHO, you don't need to swap out anything.

Just play it buddy! :)

Hello Ray!

No, I won't change the bridge. But I've come to this conclusion through a different path. I have installed the bar into the bridge unit. Tried it, only to confirm to myself that I don't need a vibrato system of any kind.

Tuning stability became perfect, as soon as I have set the action, and the bridge sunk back to it's normal position. Now, it's like 2 millimetres from sitting on the top, and that's fine for me.

I don't rest my hand on the bridge while picking, so I won't push it out of tune.

Oh! By the way: a little black spring fell out of the guitar. I don't know where did it came from. Do You happen to have any idea? It's a black, half inch long, 3 mm wide spring...

Thank You... Bence

Ok, I have found it on Fender's site. It's called the "tremolo arm tension spring"...so it came out of the hole where the bar goes.

Cheers... Bence

yep! that be it! it's not an all that critical part of the trem, but if you can manage NOT to lose it (most people do) then you're ahead of the game.

and well regarding using, that's a personal thing right? I use it rather like one would use a bigsgy (subtle..).. on occasion, if the mod strikes me, I'll grab it and give it a good "What For!" but usually it's just to add a bit of warble to sustained chords in quite/dynamic passages of songs..

so how are you getting along with the texas specials?

so how are you getting along with the texas specials?

Very well, so far. Somewhat the bridge unit reminds me of Gibson's 498T. It's only the neck pickup that I don't like at it's current setting. I will have to play with it's height and polepieces as well. It's muddy.

What immediately catched my eyes, that the pole-pieces are set in a very chaotic-looking fashion. (I never adjust them on Gibsons). However, not without reason, the dynamics are very well-balanced between the strings, thanks to this. So, people at Fender took their time, and preset the pickups as they thought it should be. And they did a very good job.

Also, this guitar is the first ever for me, that I will keep on using with 9-42 strings. The playing comfort is perfect, and the dynamic properties of the guitar simply do not call for heavier gauges.

So, Texas Special AlNiCo V pickups are great units in middle and bridge positions. I can't comment on it's neck placement, before I set it properly.

Cheers... Bence

Oh, yes. I'll get a nice black Fender Pro hardcase for it, and later I will replace the Tele's cheap Thomann case too with a Pro Tweed case.

The next month will be a bit harsh for me from financial point of view. I guess, in August I will be able to buy these accessories.

Cheers... Bence

Oh, yes. I'll get a nice black Fender Pro hardcase for it, and later I will replace the Tele's cheap Thomann case too with a Pro Tweed case.

The next month will be a bit harsh for me from financial point of view. I guess, in August I will be able to buy these accessories.

Cheers... Bence

sweet! enjoy that strat friend. nothing like a new axe to get your fingers dancing on the fret board!

Archived