Gibson Brands Forums

bought a new les paul, should i have played it an hour and half when it came in?

Brown Rug

so i'm from Vancouver, the weather outside is maybe around 2 outside and i finally cracked open the shipping box to my 1960 gibson les paul custom shop VOS after an hour and a half of it arriving inside. afterwards i played it for a good half hour, though i am told that i should have climatized it before i played. did i potentially screw up my guitar? i also used some gibson pump polish, should i have not done so after that amount of time out of the box?

also, what kind of things should i be noticing that would let me know that my guitar was indeed damaged due to me not climatizing it?

just worried... never had a VOS or custom shop guitar before! very excited!

I think you dodged a bullet by opening the case...here's what Gibson says:

Never open a cold case in a hot room, and vice versa. If you do encounter extremes in temperature and humidity, leave the instrument in its case so that it can slowly acclimate to the change. Opening a case in a heated room after it's spent a few hours in the unheated trunk of a car could have the same effect on lacquer as pouring boiling water into a cold glass. It will crack right before your eyes. the proper acclimation time depends on the severity of the change. When you decide to remove the instrument, gently crack the case open for a time to allow for a gradual change in temperature.

As for cleaning your VOS finish check out this forum: http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=4752

You waited 90 minutes' date=' what's the problem here?

I'm guessing you're a teenager and this is your first LP. Take it easy with the polish.

There's no need to polish a guitar that's only been out of the box for 30 minutes.[/quote']

You will regret polishing it too much. Creates all these nasty little swirl marks.

1) the nitro gibson uses now is very check resistant. i have left my R9 outside in single digit weather for hours and then exposed her to a hairdryer.....several times. and nothing.

2) if the finish had checked, it would be awesome. it doesnt affect the tone, just makes your guitar look older. instant mojo.

3) polishing it will remove the VOS gunk eventually. i took virtuoso polish and cleaner to my R9 immediately to remove the VOS. now i use the gibson pump polish. been using it for years; you have no worries.

congrats on your new guitar.

Oh no..you're one of those guys...

lol i am a little bit. i think weather checking is absolutely sweet looking. i'm not going to drop my keys on her or take a razor blade to her, but a slight aged look is cool by me. i've already got some buckle rash going and some dings and scratches from being playin' her hard. and the neck binding is quite pink.

i guess i figure that i'll never play gigs, so i wont ever get to own a guitar with lots of mojo.

Your guitar should be fine as long as the finish did not crack. You may notice that in a few weeks or so that the nitro finsih may bleed into the binding. This isnt due to temperature change or anything its just what happens with the VOS models due to the nitro finish they use.

Archived