Gibson Brands Forums

NGD and OGAD

MorrisrownSal

Congratulations Sal.

I tried to cure GAS by building a rack that would only hold 7 cases. Two are old guitars I've always had, so when I got the 0018H Geoff Muldaur I knew one of the 5 newer ones had to go, but much to my surprise I found the rack can hold 8 if you really try [thumbup]

Rich

My Hero!

By my count, Sal, you do have five guitars. The Gretsch Boxcar? Is that the Jim Dandy model? Those are toys. Really fun guitar toys! I've thought of bringing one home and leaving it out with my other laminates: a Washburn and an Epi Bird.

Since laminates don't count, I'm also thinking an Epi Texan and J160 might qualify as toys and not guitars and I could count them as similar to my Beatles drinking glasses and Trivial Pursuit game.

Right?

Awesome...enablers...

Let's count them out, and I won't include what I gave my sons.

D35BirdSJTVD15LG2-AEGretsch BoxcarCheap Gretsch bass.Pono cheap Uke.Mexi-Tele.

That's all she wrote! I like Smurfs math... The bottom four are cheap... They don't count! So that means five!

I'm thinking electrics don't count. Classicals don't count. Non-wood guitars don't count. Archtops don't count. Guitars that don't really look like guitars don't count.

By that reckoning, I'm down to only five guitars.

Time to go shopping!

I'm thinking electrics don't count. Classicals don't count. Non-wood guitars don't count. Archtops don't count. Guitars that don't really look like guitars don't count.

By that reckoning, I'm down to only five guitars.

Time to go shopping!

Ha! Shopping! Guitar shopping! 50s D28?

Gibson need to pick up their act or this could become the Official.....instead of Unofficial...

So I played my old Gibson L-0 for hours today - incredible really and more my style and size guitar for blues.... And the old 0-17 is just a dream for blues and ballads...

BUT......old mean looking guitars don't count in the accounting, do they? Only new, shiny numbers, isnt it? Strike the oldies off the list and we are quite lean.

The acoustic guitar shop in town has the standard D35, a used 1969 D35 (Braz) and the anniversary D35 and it occurred to me to try them out while they were all in the shop at the same time for curiosity's sake, but then I chickened out because I only like small guitars...... [mellow] Better go walk the doggie and keep away from guitar shops.

BluesKing777.

The acoustic guitar shop in town has the standard D35, a used 1969 D35 (Braz) and the anniversary D35 and it occurred to me to try them out while they were all in the shop at the same time for curiosity's sake, but then I chickened out because I only like small guitars...... [mellow] Better go walk the doggie and keep away from guitar shops.

Hey turn around and take that A/B - for the sake of D-35 science.

Looks great, Sal. The D35 is one of those guitars I've "had in mind" for several years now. Might have to bring it back to my buy list now that the flame is burning again. The big Martins definitely have their appeal and it's almost a shame not to own at least one Martin....I'm standing at 8 Gibson acoustics at the moment and a swarm of lesser guitars, giving a grand total of seventeen acoustics. Got an Epi J160 Lennon model a few months ago. Sounds like crap with that piezo when plugged-in, but a sweet little acoustic picker. My wife has grown used to my "guitars are like women: can't have too many" jokes and all the "just one more" pleas. I think what I need to do is start categorizing my guitars. How many rosewoods, hogs, etc. and where there's 2 or more guitars of the same wood, maybe one has to go. I don't really know what I'll do. I am sincerely out of room in my guitar room. No place left on the walls and the one closet is stacked with guitars in cases and empty cases. I really do have to make some decisions. The south wall is nothing but ukes, banjos, mandolins. All were under $350, so they don't count, right?.

I read this thread and I tend to think that maybe it's not as bad as it seems By using the authentic counting methods supplied here, I don't have seventeen guitars ( and about 40 folks instruments---banjos, ukes, dobros, mandolins). I've actually only got the eight Gibsons. Problem solved. You guys have saved me from a lot of trouble. For a while I was thinking that I'd have to sell something. Commonsense reigns in this place, and I'm sure my wife will agree with this new math.

MP,

You might only have 7-1/2 Gibsons. The AE-LG2 isn't a full-size, so shouldn't be counted as a full '1' but rather as a '1/2'.

Any guitar bought for less than 1K does not count. Inherited guitars can't count because you neither purchased them nor can sell them in good conscience. Same for any guitar that was gifted to you. It would be rude to sell or trade it.

Perhaps in the future, Sal could gift MP a D35 and MP could gift me a J160e and I could gift Dan a Sheryl Crow CW...only issue I see is that we wouldn't be allowed to ever trade or sell the guitars we are gifted.

Admittedly, there are some kinks in the system, but where there's a will...there's a relative.

Looks great, Sal. The D35 is one of those guitars I've "had in mind" for several years now. Might have to bring it back to my buy list now that the flame is burning again. The big Martins definitely have their appeal and it's almost a shame not to own at least one Martin....I'm standing at 8 Gibson acoustics at the moment and a swarm of lesser guitars, giving a grand total of seventeen acoustics. Got an Epi J160 Lennon model a few months ago. Sounds like crap with that piezo when plugged-in, but a sweet little acoustic picker. My wife has grown used to my "guitars are like women: can't have too many" jokes and all the "just one more" pleas. I think what I need to do is start categorizing my guitars. How many rosewoods, hogs, etc. and where there's 2 or more guitars of the same wood, maybe one has to go. I don't really know what I'll do. I am sincerely out of room in my guitar room. No place left on the walls and the one closet is stacked with guitars in cases and empty cases. I really do have to make some decisions. The south wall is nothing but ukes, banjos, mandolins. All were under $350, so they don't count, right?.

I read this thread and I tend to think that maybe it's not as bad as it seems By using the authentic counting methods supplied here, I don't have seventeen guitars ( and about 40 folks instruments---banjos, ukes, dobros, mandolins). I've actually only got the eight Gibsons. Problem solved. You guys have saved me from a lot of trouble. For a while I was thinking that I'd have to sell something. Commonsense reigns in this place, and I'm sure my wife will agree with this new math.

Hi MP!

Well you have it all sorted then! :mellow:

Only brand spanking new over $2000 counts then.

You may need an extension on the end of your music room though!

The ideal home recording room in the wife's mind of course would be this, but how is it possible?:

http://www.sadhanaweekly.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/7c6ce0dea6fc1cec3a65c4d089e218a224bf39ad.jpg

BluesKing777.

Hey turn around and take that A/B - for the sake of D-35 science.

No, no, no and no, Em7. [mellow]

I need to get another dread like a hole in my exhaust pipe. Besides, the nice people at the music shop would see me coming in and think their meal ticket has just walked in ....like last time. No, all orders of strings and guitar related items need to be over the inter web.....at risk of an audit at the moment - the Boss asked ....gulp....how many.....gulp....never asked that before.

So there are some very nice videos around of all those D35s...sorry, but I am not a flat picking dreadman any how, so no use for comparisonizing..... though I do love my HD28v..... [sleep]

BluesKing777.

Every acoustic I try I compare the sound to my HD28V and I never come away wishing I had bought something else.

It would be easy to get into Martin acoustic collecting, though, as they all offer something a bit different. The D35, for instance, has that killer bass going for it and the back sure is cool looking...

Smurfbird, good point. That little eagle only counts as half..........AND, you just made me think of something. I was counting the AJ my son is playing. So actually it's 6 and 1/2 guitars. Sounds to me like the collection is dwindling. Might have to do something about that.

Blues........an extension to the music room is a good idea, except for the fact my wife would use the extra space to build a gallows.

Seriously, the Martin legends are pretty cool. I'm not too big on all the new models they've come out with in the past several years, but the legendary names like D35, D28, D18 are right there near the top of the heap when it comes to guitars.[thumbup] If I found one of the Cash D35s at a fair price, I'd have a real difficult time saying "no."

So there are some very nice videos around of all those D35s...

There certainly is - Been checking a lot recently as mine just came up in standard tuning for the first time in 15 years.

WHAT ?! , , , couldn't really recognize the brave squire and had to compare with what was to be found on the Tube. Still happening.

Honestly - the guitar sounds and feels much better a half or a whole tone down. There it unfolds its real might and personality - there it becomes sympathetically invincible.

Will go under again, but right now needs a few summer weeks up in the sun.

Btw the top has grown so dark it almost shake hands with the sides/outer back pieces (the tougue is darker) and a cream-caramel-coloured nut.

This magnificent blend gets help from the classic yellowed bindings (neck-bindings for some reason remain white).

Wonder if the rose-back'n'sides have turned a little lighter too. Can rosewood change hue. . . . .

Archived