Gibson Brands Forums

Great Day

Silvercrow

So today was our 24th wedding anniversary! Part of our present to each other was a trip to NYC. We did a lot of what we like to do most; wander around Hell's Kitchen, people watch, visit an antique jewelry place, eat at a pretty authentic German/American pub! (Hallo Berlin- high marks from two expert eaters! They specialize in various wursts and having lived in Deutschland for 2 years in the late 70s- I vouch it is very authentic!)

Beautiful weather- not super crowded. I had not realized that Manny's Music had "left town" permanently [thumbdn] BUT a trip to Guitar Center on 44th was an unexpected joy! We were there just as they opened for the day- I talked guitar with a knowledgeable salesman! He had pics of his personal guitars on his iPhone! GAS!

They really do have some awesome pieces; original '59 Tele (5-digit price tag), some "knock me out" [wub] Gibson Custom offerings, a drool-laden "used" section and to top it off- apparently they bought Clapton's "Blackie" and have it displayed in a thick security / climate controlled display "cube" right next to a Gibson Hollow Body he owned and apparently never gigged! I did not note the prices paid but Linda (my wife) said she thought the plaque said it was over a half mil for each! (Later research revealed over $900,000. USD just for Blackie...)

I showed her some superior offerings as to fret work and ction and she actually appreciated it (or played along well...)- along with some PRS ten-top offerings and dazzling wood/finish combinations from just about all major manufacturers.

The highlight of the day was seeing the play "Amazing Grace". WOW! Superior singing, unbelievable live special effects, just an all around outstanding play! Highly recommended!

Anyways-thanks for letting me share! HAPPY 4TH TO ALL- stateside and worldwide!

Brian

Congrats Brian. I need to take my bride there someday. I was there for business around 35 years ago. I didn't get to see much but I remember the prostitute on the corner dressed like a little girl in nightclothes and pigtails licking a huge lollipop. It was pretty bizzare to say the least. Enjoy!

Congrats Brian. I need to take my bride there someday. I was there for business around 35 years ago. I didn't get to see much but I remember the prostitute on the corner dressed like a little girl in nightclothes and pigtails licking a huge lollipop. It was pretty bizzare to say the least. Enjoy!

[lol][lol][omg] !!

IMO THE best place to "people-watch", bar none!

@ FZ- I hear ya! We drive to a bus terminal about 20 minutes from our house, take a round trip on Bieber Bus for $38.00 per. Drops off at Penn Station...IMO the only way to fly. No parking hassels, tunnel traffic / regular traffic, etc. etc. Coming back they run every 20-25 minutes from 4PM up to 10PM. Perfect for a day trip.

This last trip was "quiet" in respect to 'people peeping': we saw the "Naked Cowboy" who now has some kind of amp built in to his acoustic; his tone used to be better. Underware still as white as ever!

There was a small group of 'punk femme' dressed to the punk 9s, loud and cutting a swath throught the crowd as they walked and talked...

We were sitting outside the theater on a stoop and a "Rastie" lookin' guy tried to sell us some pain killers. I looked at him and said "Business is bad, huh?" He rolled his eyes and walked on...

On Times Square there were folks dressed up like characters representing local plays, getting pictures taken with tourists for a few bucks. I told one (turned out to be a guy) "You gotta be roasting in that outfit..." He said he was counting the minutes to happy hour...

I REALLY DO [love] N.Y.!!

Thanks everybody!!

Brian

Archived