Gibson Brands Forums

Vox AC10 Guitar Amp Review

Rabs

Great 10 watt tube class A amp. What amazes me, and I just bought a class A amp, is the total depedence on the pick attack for a clean versus overdriven sound. When he played clean and had any attack, i heard sustain. Great sounding Vox.

You know, what I'd love to see, now...is a comparison demo, on the AC-10 to the AC-15.

Only 5 watts difference, and a 12 inch speaker, on the AC-15, at about a $100-150 price

difference. The AC-15 would have a larger cabinet, so "bigger" bottom end tone. Yet

would seem to be quite usable in bedroom to venue applications, as well. So...???

Which IS the better choice? [confused]:-k

CB

You know, what I'd love to see, now...is a comparison demo, on the AC-10 to the AC-15.

Only 5 watts difference, and a 12 inch speaker, on the AC-15, at about a $100-150 price

difference. The AC-15 would have a larger cabinet, so "bigger" bottom end tone. Yet

would seem to be quite usable in bedroom to venue applications, as well. So...???

Which IS the better choice? [confused]:-k

CB

I think actually that the speaker size makes a difference.. I have a Marshall Slash SL5 class A.... Its only 5w and I wasn't sure if it was going to be loud enough for jamming or gigging purposes.. The thing about this model is that it has a 12" Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker rather than the usual 10" speaker you would find in a 5w model... and I reckon it makes all the difference...

So I took it to a jam that I had with Farns when he came and tried my guitars out (hes playing through the Slash Amp throughout the vid)... And from what I remember the volume was on like 7 or 8 and it was more than loud enough to be heard over the drums and when I was playing too.... (and hes a loud drummer :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okn5zNSKlIY

Yeah, Rabs, I know you're right. But, I have a little Marshal AVT 20, with a 10" and it sounds much

deeper, bass wise, than my Blues Jr. Of course, the Marshall has a closed back, and slightly larger

cabinet, than the Blues Jr. So, there are lots of factors, regarding amp tone, and/or including voicing.

Still, it would be nice, if "The Captain," and "Chappers," would do a side by side, of the AC-10 and AC-15.

just to see what the "actual" differences are, if much? [biggrin]

CB

Still, it would be nice, if "The Captain," and "Chappers," would do a side by side, of the AC-10 and AC-15.

just to see what the "actual" differences are, if much? [biggrin]

CB

Well that's the thing about the world we live in today... You could always email them and suggest it :)

True...Might just do that?![biggrin]

In fact, I just DID...we'll see, if anything comes of it??? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Nice one.. Don't you just love technology (sometimes :))

Will be interesting to see if you get a reply...

I have an ORIGINAL Vox AC10 amp - just the amp, in a box like a rabbit hutch. 8 ohms only, fantastically thick tone. There is nothing thicker than an old Vox IMO.

I was given it in non-working condition. I've spent £££ on it and now it's going wrong again. I'm considering selling.

Trouble with the old Vox Class A was/is that they run 'full-on' all the time and so valves and components burn out quick.

I also had Vox bass gear - 2 of those 1 x 15" cabs which were built like brick sh*thouses, my God those things were heavy - and a 60w bass amp...which regularly blew for the same reason.

Now Vox is owned by Korg....ironic.

Archived