Gibson Brands Forums

Blues King vs. L-00 Pro (vs. Martin 00-18V)

SC_Wannabe

I've got the Gibson small body bug and have been looking on the internet at the Blues King. Then yesterday I also saw there was a Guitar Center special run called the L-00 Pro that looks to be about the same guitar minus the sunburst. Can anyone compare and contrast these two guitars? I know the earlier Blues Kings had bubinga back/sides, but I am looking at later hog versions.

Also, the L-00 Pro lists a modified V neck profile. I have an 00-18V that doesn't get played because I can't tolerate the wide mod-v neck. I also had a D-18V I sold partly because I didn't like the mod-v neck (it was narrower than the 00-18V neck). Can anyone tell me how the Gibson neck compares? The Blues King lists a "comfort contour" neck, but it seems I recall reading it also has the modified v. Can anyone set me straight on that?

Blues King

L-00 Pro

And one more request... Can anyone tell me how to search this forum for "blues king" without pulling up every post made by BluesKing777?!?!

Ha Ha hysterical.

If you look at your heading, the name is not the same - you are looking at a Blues KLing with an L [tongue] and mine is BluesKing777 - if you look for the special comments I made about the BK and the size if the neck - it is somewhere in the 4, 576 odd posts I have made if you want to look....

I have the bubinga BK and have never seen the other 2 guitars in question, so I wasn't going to reply with non helpful comments, but now my name is being dragged around, well....... [mellow]

The Mod V Martin neck is one of my faves too! They are all different and need to be played, but my BK neck is the standard Gibson acoustic neck with 1.725 nut. I doubt they actually make my model anymore, but still list it in case someone wants one?????

BluesKing777.

OK, thanks. I fixed the type in the thread title. And I actually finally got the search to find only posts with "blues king" in the post titles. I'm pasting the link to the advanced search function here for posterity:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

(there is a "search titles only" check box)

I enjoy your do posts, BK777, and like a lot of your soundcloud offerings that you post (esp. ...weeps), but it was really maddening trying to search for posts about the Blues King. Your posts kept popping up, along with anything that had the word "blues" in it, or even words that have "king" in them (working, looking, etc).

Maybe I was confused about the Blues King having a mod-v neck. Good to hear it doesn't. I'd really rather have the sunburst BK anyway, but the Pro comes with a nice case. I've read that the BK has a slightly shallower body than the traditional L-00, so I am wondering if the Pro has the same body depth.

Also, is the L-00 body roughly the same dimensions as the Martin 00? Or is it more like the 0?

Thanks to anyone who has some input.

I have a Bubinga Blues King with a C neck, and CEO-7 Martin with a modified V and a Waterloo with the modified V. The Waterloo has been my go to guitar since I got it but the others have features that are quite nice. The Waterloo sounds louder than the BK but not as warm as the CEO-7. Actually the weakest link in the BK for volume and warmth but it does not sound bad, it just doesn't have the pop or presence of the other two. When recording it sounds absolutely great and when playing it is like butter. It plays better than the other two with it's 1-11/16 neck it is a bit tight but adjustments can be made at least by me. Something about spreading out to the 1-3/4 gives my hand a break though.

All there are great guitars. In their own time they all speak to me and lead me to different takes on the blues or rags or whatever I am playing. All three have some mojo that works while the BK doesn't shout, it can be heard.

Not really the same guitars as you inquired about but this should help some.

I have a Bubinga Blues King with a C neck, and CEO-7 Martin with a modified V and a Waterloo with the modified V. The Waterloo has been my go to guitar since I got it but the others have features that are quite nice. The Waterloo sounds louder than the BK but not as warm as the CEO-7. Actually the weakest link in the BK for volume and warmth but it does not sound bad, it just doesn't have the pop or presence of the other two. When recording it sounds absolutely great and when playing it is like butter. It plays better than the other two with it's 1-11/16 neck it is a bit tight but adjustments can be made at least by me. Something about spreading out to the 1-3/4 gives my hand a break though.

All there are great guitars. In their own time they all speak to me and lead me to different takes on the blues or rags or whatever I am playing. All three have some mojo that works while the BK doesn't shout, it can be heard.

Not really the same guitars as you inquired about but this should help some.

The neck on mine is 1.725 which to me plays pretty much like a 1-3/4 nut. I think the early Blues Kings (mid-90's?) did have a 1-11/16 nut.

I'm kind of jealous! Wish I could go along with you and play some stuff. They are really cool guitars.

I used to own a Martin 00-18V. Great guitar. I don't regret trading it, but I do miss it. It was a great friend to me, and perhaps one day I will regret it.

However, I've never played an L-00 or a Blues King or anything related, except an LG-2 AE (which I loved), so I don't know if I can be much help. But if you have any 00-18V questions, I can sure take a stab.

Thanks for the responses guys. The Blues King is probably the best choice for me because of the neck, and I really want something with a burst.

BK777 - Thanks for setting me straight on the Gibson nomenclature. I never could figure out what all of those 0s and 1s meant.

WK - It almost sounds like the BK has a bit of a straight braced sound, which is actually what I prefer. If they sound anything like the demos 12Radius has on youtube, then that would suit me fine.

CBP - I think you're correct in that the older ones had a 1-11/16" nut. I really like Gibson's in-between size 1.725" nut. The 1-3/4 on my 00-18V is just too wide for me.

Jesse - You're plenty welcome to come along, as I'll most likely be doing all this from my living room via the internet. I can post all of the links... I have an 00-18V I'm thinking of selling to fund this purchase. The only thing that gives me pause is that if I also sold my 000-28, then that would put me within reach of a vintage J50 or used Bird. I'm not sure I want to do that though.

Jesse - You're plenty welcome to come along, as I'll most likely be doing all this from my living room via the internet. I can post all of the links... I have an 00-18V I'm thinking of selling to fund this purchase. The only thing that gives me pause is that if I also sold my 000-28, then that would put me within reach of a vintage J50 or used Bird. I'm not sure I want to do that though.

Sorry about that. I got so excited that I missed like half your post! I am just a sucker for little guitars, even though my playing works better on big guitars. I do have a Martin 7-28 which is a little guitar with a big sound, though. It's funny because I have the opposite problem as you--I like the Gibson in-between nut and string spacing, but I find the 1-11/16" too tight at the nut and too tight at the bridge! I have wanted an 000-28 for years, and that's what's kept me away. Doesn't sound like you truly want to let go of yours, though. That is hard. I am in the same process, letting go of my D-28P, an electric I paid $117 for that is now worth $400-1000 (!), and trying to decide whether I can let my D-18P go as well. Neither here nor there. (And if I can, does that mean I can buy another Gibson?? Just because I have the funds, doesn't mean I could/should...)

Anyway, it sounds to me like that 00-18V must go, though, and you are going to have a ball picking out a small Gibson and even more of a ball owning and playing one. Totally different sound, really, so similar but so different. I am really excited for you.

On the other hand, would you rather have a J-50 or a Hummingbird instead? Or maybe even find some way to swing both? Could get an LG-2 and a J-15. Okay, I know, you want burst. :) Nothing wrong with that.

Gonna be a fun time, especially for us, because we get to live vicariously without having to actually sell things or worry about it. Wish I could try out your 000-28 though. They're impossible to find, and there are hardly even many on YouTube.

These are great questions, and I can't answer any of them.

but here is the ironic part... BluesKing777 is the guy who probably has all three guitars and can speak eloquently about them :)

Happy to watch this thread...

Eloquent??? Yes, of course....

Here are my similar babes - Gibson BK, Martin CEO7 and 37 Gibson L-0.

I don't think they make the BK anymore, the Martin CEO7 has the Mod V neck and the L-0 hasn't been made for quite a bit! (though it is customised with a new ebony fretboard, bridge, bone nut and saddle, tuners, ebony headplate, neck reset and more I can't remember.)

ThreeElls1_zpsznd9b5hi.jpg

BluesKing777.

Man, just looking at the 2016 model year, there are a few to choose from (L-00 Vintage, woo doggy! A 12-fret L-00 is there too and even an L-1). Selling an 00-18V should bring maybe $1500-2000? Which puts the standard well within reach and maybe even the 12 fret red spruce. Ooooh.

Of course, non-2016 can be had used. I wonder if the Keb Mo model has been considered.

I was also going to mention the new L-00 Standard. Can't go wrong with a Blues King though, I've really liked the ones I've played.

I owned the L-00 Pro model for a couple years. Wonderful guitars, but keep an eye out for the laminated bridges... mine had a bridge that was visibly made from a laminated piece of rosewood, not a solid piece. And yes, it actually started to delaminate on me. Eventually got a bridge replacement. That was unfortunate, but it sure sounded good!

After reading this thread and then adding to it, today I got out my L-00 Blues King. It sure is a fine guitar with a special sound. I got mine off of CL and ti had been upgraded to bone nut and saddle, as I said before has Bubinga back and sides, but it sounds great. Back to playing it just thought I'd share those thoughts.

Thanks again for the input - I've been out of the loop for a couple of days...

BK999 - That's a great collection you have there! Thanks for the family shot.

Jesse - I was actually hoping to go used and stay in the $1000-1200 range and pocket the rest, but if I could get enough out of my 00-18V, who knows. If I'm sinking $2K into a guitar then I'm probably going J50-ADJ or Hummingbird.

Jjunk - Thanks a lot for reminding me about the laminated bridges (and fingerboards). I need to check the time frame on when those were out.

Rmabler - Thanks for the date on the long scale. I'm looking for something more recent with short scale an mahogany back/sides.

Willie King - Yeah, I wish I could find something close enough to try out. My local CL never really seems to have much in the way of high end guitars.

Sounds like a Hummingbird is what you really want... :) Mine is looking at me patiently but contentedly and really sounds great with John Pearse Pure Nickel lights!

Hard to beat having a really nice little short-scale around, though. I love my Martin 7-28, and in a perfect world, I might have a little deep-body Gibson to go along with it.

I actually traded in an OM-18V to get an L-00 Pro a couple years back. I loved the OM-18V, but that mod V neck was hurting my hand. I can attest that the L-00 Pro neck is nothing like the OM-18V. The L-00 Pro is very easy on my hands and I play it all the time. There is a huge difference in the tone of these two guitars, though. The OM-18V is very rich and full, while the L-00 Pro offers a very snappy, midrangy tone. I was completely comfortable with the difference, because when playing fingerpicked blues, I could hear the notes just pop out of that Gibson. Also important to consider - the L-00 Pro is an excellent guitar to use solo or with another instrument, but if you try to use it in a band context, it doesn't have quite the power you might want. The OM-18V, to me, was an incredibly versatile guitar, but I just couldn't deal with my fretting hand aching afterward. The short scale of the Gibson also really helps out with those issues. Hope this helps.

Oh, one more thing. The L-00 Pro comes with a baggs Element pickup. I never use it, though, because the one I have is way out of balance. It sounds great on the low E and A, but the high E and B strings barely come through and have a very annoying echoing tone. It's the one thing I don't like. One day I am going to replace it with a K&K, because I really like the guitar. If I use it at a gig, it's when I play solo and I just mic it.

Archived