Gibson Brands Forums

Not Fade Away

BluesKing777

I did a solo acoustic/vocal version of Buddy Holly's 'Not Fade Away'

Good one to get things jiggly live I reckon.... [biggrin]

Technical: Hummingbird copy > vintage 50s DeArmond soundhole pickup > Fishman Aura Spectrum > TC Electronics Play Acoustic - Shure SM58 > TC Electronics Play Acoustic

>>>>>>>A&H mixer > iMac > Garageband.......

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/fade-hum777tc

BluesKing777.

Getting some nice sounds out of your gadgets BK. This sounds like an old vintage archtop or whatever that rock-a billy type sound comes from.Good recording as always.

Hummingbird copy?!...must have come before your lucrative IT career [smile].

Thanks FB.

Yes, sadly I am one of the few here that doesn't have a real Hummingbird!

And with the exchange rate, it won't be happening.

Though our new Great Leader and Crew may change things - we did have a Great One that gave us all a cash bribe a few years back.

BluesKing777.

Thanks Aero!

I have been looking for another file site - Soundcloud is not Mac and Safari friendly anymore. It plain old won't link on my iPad and on my Mac laptop it comes up with the graphics and text scrambled all over the page. I started another login as BK7 instead of BluesKing777 and it still happens, so it is p.c. friendly only. Grumble grumble....

BluesKing777.

I might admit to a touch of AF (Aquisition Fever) for a real Hummingbird after playing my H Copy.....

The copy is black/ebony, so if I bought a real black/ebony one, I doubt if the Princess would notice........ [smile] [smile] [smile]

Except I really like the look of the new H Vintage.... [blink]

BluesKing777.

I liked that a lot. It's a really cool sound you got and a very nice performance! Can you add more fuzz and distorsion with the equipment you are using? The question might seem weird, but I have been toying with the idea of merging the two types of tones/sounds/styles Neil Young is mostly know for, his fuzzy overdriven Crazy Horse style and his solo acoustic thing. I think it would make a pretty cool hybrid sound if done right. I just don't know what equipment to use since none of my acoustics have pickups. I have this Crazy Horse pedal (see below) that really gets close to his electric tone, but I can't hook up any of my acoustics to it. Any ideas?

Lars

I liked that a lot. It's a really cool sound you got and a very nice performance! Can you add more fuzz and distorsion with the equipment you are using? The question might seem weird, but I have been toying with the idea of merging the two types of tones/sounds/styles Neil Young is mostly know for, his fuzzy overdriven Crazy Horse style and his solo acoustic thing. I think it would make a pretty cool hybrid sound if done right. I just don't know what equipment to use since none of my acoustics have pickups. I have this Crazy Horse pedal (see below) that really gets close to his electric tone, but I can't hook up any of my acoustics to it. Any ideas?

Lars

Acoustic guitar > fuzz > Garage Bands of the 50s and 60s.......

Lars, a lot of guitarists couldn't afford a Les Paul or a Strat in those days and bought a soundhole pickup for their acoustic and plugged into a tube amp and got....distorted guitar.

These days, most people are trying for clean acousticky sounds, but not everyone.

The pickup I used in the recording above is now a bit of a collectors item - DeArmond soundhole pickups like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Circa-1940s-Dearmond-Acoustic-Sound-Hole-Guitar-Pickup-Excellent-Cond-/191673374064

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeARMOND-RHC-B-SOUNDHOLE-PICKUP-/121763554450

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DeARMOND-210-SOUND-HOLE-PICKUP-AMAZING-TONE-FREE-SHIPPING-/201432512684

I just bought a Fishman Blackstack which arrived yesterday - sort of a modern day version. I haven't got it set up properly yet, so can't really comment. But plug that sucker in to the acoustic, then in to a tube amp, or tube simulator like Line Pods I suppose, and distort away!!!!

http://www.fishman.com/product/blackstack-passive-soundhole-pickup

BluesKing777.

Thanks Aster1.

It is also a fun tune to play!

I always thought Bo Diddley wrote it, but I guess Buddy borrowed a riff here and there. On the recording above I played the chords with my bare thumb, up and down - glad I'm not playing tonight because I have a little cut on my thumb right in the spot I play and it sure wouldn't be as fun now.

I bought a Fishman Blackstack soundhole pickup, which is a modern version of the DeArmond on the tune above, without the weight, hiss and crackles and the broken wing and gaffa tape.... More the pickup for plugging in to a tube amp for some grunge. No more purist acoustica .....we have lost that fight ....[unsure]

BluesKing777

Archived