Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Custom model idea...

cliffenstein

I think it would be totally killer if Epiphone made a Les Paul Custom that was specifically marketed to the "no muss, no fuss" players of this world (believe me, there are plenty of us). We like our guitars to look classic, but we don't care about having a myriad of tonal options to choose from. We play wide open, bridge pickup only and don't want anything to get in our way.

With that in mind, this special LPC would only have the bridge pickup hooked up to one standard volume knob. The other three knobs would be there, but only for looks. The neck pickup and toggle switch would be there as well, but neither would be hooked up and would serve only as visual elements. The bridge pickup would be a Gibson 498T and the neck pickup could be anything since it would only there for looks.

The fretboard would be rosewood dyed black to have the appearance of Ebony. The frets would be plekked jumbo frets and the strings would be 11's, not the 10's Epiphones normally come with.

Colors options would be black, blue, cherry red, torquoise, white and antique ivory. Like most LPC models, these would be simple, solid colors.

All hardware would be nickel or chrome including the pickup covers. This LPC would be outfitted with good thumb wheel locking tuners (Gotoh, Grover, Hipshot, Sperzel, etc).

Finally, this would feature Epiphone's take on the open book headstock utilized on their 1989 models.

This LPC could be called the Punk Rock Paul or the Les Paul Custom Lite (ala Gibson) or something along those lines.

specifically marketed to the "no muss, no fuss" players of this world (believe me, there are plenty of us). We like our guitars to look classic, but we don't care about having a myriad of tonal options to choose from. We play wide open, bridge pickup only and don't want anything to get in our way.

I hear you on the "no muss, no fuss" thing. These days I mostly play a stock Mexi Standard Tele through a Blues Jr. Too many "tonal options" does my head in.

But if you're asking Epi to make stuff, I have to say I'm just waiting for the day when they'll finally make a decent Firebird (reverse or non-reverse)... [rolleyes]

Oh, and hello from the Shenandoah, by the way...

Playing live I nearly always used the bridge pickup alone with the tone all the way up. Extra options usually led to an unexpected mix that didn't blend well or couldn't be heard. So I have strong sympathies for the setup that you're suggesting. But I don't think you'll find a lot of support around here for such a minimal rig. Even I have learned to (somewhat) use a more subdued tone from the neck pickup or a mix.

However, I was just recently considering what innovations could Gibson/Epiphone come up with that would be better than adding auto-tuners and then taking them off again. This could be it. Gretsch painted fake F holes, I don't see why Gibson couldn't add a dummy pickup. It would be a hybrid of the LP Jr and LP Custom.

At some point the design gurus might find themselves short on ideas, and viola, here come's 'your' guitar. Jr Custom!

Playing live I nearly always used the bridge pickup alone with the tone all the way up. Extra options usually led to an unexpected mix that didn't blend well or couldn't be heard. So I have strong sympathies for the setup that you're suggesting. But I don't think you'll find a lot of support around here for such a minimal rig. Even I have learned to (somewhat) use a more subdued tone from the neck pickup or a mix.

However, I was just recently considering what innovations could Gibson/Epiphone come up with that would be better than adding auto-tuners and then taking them off again. This could be it. Gretsch painted fake F holes, I don't see why Gibson couldn't add a dummy pickup. It would be a hybrid of the LP Jr and LP Custom.

At some point the design gurus might find themselves short on ideas, and viola, here come's 'your' guitar. Jr Custom!

LPJC...awesome!

I do like your idea.

I would do away with the neck pickup altogether, retain one set of volume and tone pots in the positions of the existing volume controls. Real ebony fingerboard, vintage fretless wonder frets, trapeze tailpiece and some locking tuners.

I don't mind the Epi headstock and I would name it the Custom Custom.

I imagine it to look very much like a LP Custom, with only two knobs (and maybe two dummy knobs), minus a toggle switch (or move it one of the knob locations) and only one working pickup.

Yea, I see, it could be called The Dummy model. [tongue]

It would definitely confound some people, wondering why they can't get that other pickup to come on.

Ebony fretboard would be a bonus. Has Gibson still not recovered from the Gov't sting/frame job? Martin uses them.

Might have to face it, Cliffenstein, you're probably going to have to keep making your own.

so basically, you want Epiphone to make you a signature model.

Yes...I've sold a few records and am known in punk rock circles across the world, but 200,000 units moved in a career isn't exactly high profile enough to move them to make a signature model instrument. Plus, I really don't like signature models per se. I think this idea is good enough for them to do as a standalone model. I think real gigging musicians would be into it.

Yes...I've sold a few records and am known in punk rock circles across the world, but 200,000 units moved in a career isn't exactly high profile enough to move them to make a signature model instrument. Plus, I really don't like signature models per se. I think this idea is good enough for them to do as a standalone model. I think real gigging musicians would be into it.

yeah, I'm into single pickup guitars too. I don't think any guitar company would spend the money on having pickups that are not hooked up in a guitar.

I don't think any guitar company would spend the money on having pickups that are not hooked up in a guitar.

Well, it's a novel idea and, hey, it would be a great way to put all those leftover Alnico Classics to "use." Haha. The Gibson 498T is an excellent pickup but is the most generic, readily available Gibson pickup in existence so using that as the bridge pickup should be easy and low cost enough.

The real thing here is the fact that many live players would want the look of a full scale LP Custom, but only care about the usability of an LP junior. This bridges that gap in a special and upscale way.

Rock N Roll remains a decidedly fashion over function affair for a great many people.

Johnny Ramone was that way. Angus Young is that way. Plenty of live players, myself included, are that way as well.

Hey Epiphone could use a good burst of newness in their line. Rout the body for two humbuckers but the neck would have only a cover, no pickup. Cost = minimal. Put some road wear on the finish (Gibson\Epi doesn't do this now) and you've got a not too expensive punk rock machine!

Sure there would be plenty of players who would mod it and add a pickup and extra working knobs but that's the fun. I like this. We need jobs as 'out of the box consultants'! It doesn't have to sell millions to make money.

So do you think all those extra non-functioning parts are gonna be free? Sounds like a waste of money to me.

I do not think those extra non-functioning parts are going to be free. Design elements always cost money, but they make products look better which is why those design elements are there in the first place.

I do not think those extra non-functioning parts are going to be free. Design elements always cost money, but they make products look better which is why those design elements are there in the first place.

True. Or why would anyone use a 7 layer binding?

An empty pickup cover would cost a couple bucks. Negligible.

I agree that Epiphone could probably make and sell a model like you describe for what you paid for your Custom. Or less. But they would have to work a little harder to create a market. I guess you'll just have to keep creating your one of a kind guitars for now.

I agree that Epiphone could probably make and sell a model like you describe for what you paid for your Custom. Or less. But they would have to work a little harder to create a market. I guess you'll just have to keep creating your one of a kind guitars for now.

Indeed...and I will continue doing just that!

Well the fake burglar alarms on houses have a function other than looking good.

But we all care about appearances to some extent. Especially our guitars. Zemaitis/Greco guitars seem to be as much an art form as they are guitar.

Archived