Gibson Brands Forums

Sweetwater Got Slow ?

Murph

What's up with Sweetwater? I did an online order Thurs the 24th, and got an email yesterday the 30th saying it shipped? Just some strings and picks and fingerease. I figured it would ship Fri, Monday at the LATEST.......

I wasn't in a hurry, but that's pretty bad.

What's up with Sweetwater? I did an online order Thurs the 24th, and got an email yesterday the 30th saying it shipped? Just some strings and picks and fingerease. I figured it would ship Fri, Monday at the LATEST.......

I wasn't in a hurry, but that's pretty bad.

Hey Murph-

Recently; I had the same problem with Musicians Friend about a month ago. Smaller / lighter items are going out by UPS/MI (United Parcel Service, Mail Innovations) and a similar program with DHL. Neither is "innovative" or efficient, IMO. What happens is packages / envelopes are "trayed" in bulk and given to UPS/MI or DHL/USPS. They take them and give them to the post office "hub" which may or may not be close to your mail delivery area. Then USPS (US Mail) sorts them, distributes them to THEIR distribution points, which eventually (hopefully) get to your local P.O. and carrier. A package from Musicians Friend, 2 sets of strings, strap lock buttons and dunlop picks, took 13 days to be delivered. Tracking took 3 days to show up and when UPS handed off to USPS tracking was lost altogether. Heres the geography, as told to me later- Kansas to Maryland; then to New Jersey, New Jersey to Philadelphia, Philadelphia to Horsham (Pa.) Horsham Pa. to my home town in Sellersville Pa.

I'll not bore you more but another similar package from a printer via DHL took 11 days! It was four bumper stickers! Stock- not custom.

USPS regular mail is usually two days in the zones I'm talking about. And cheap! The size and weight of the package from the printer retailer would have cost $1.78 - they had charged me $6 and change- for shipping / handling.

WOW- that was long- but to say as I spoke afterward with a CSR from Musicians Friend (Josh- )he said to phone small orders in and specifically request UPS ground. They will still ship for free...just have to ask.

I'd call Sweetwater and express concerns- they may offer similar advice for future orders. Plus I think it's important to let our retailers know how inconvenient/ convoluted this is. Personally- I'd rather pay a reasonable shipping fee that wait two weeks to get a product...JMHO.

Brian

They must be getting a helluva discount using this convoluted service!

Like the boss who said to me, "Life isn't Fair." in reply to my query about not being treated the same as other employees. I had to swallow hard and look for another job in the same organization because I had a lot invested in the pension plan. I felt trapped where I was.

So, look for a supplier who promises prompt delivery and keeps his word.

I've been getting incredibly prompt, respectful and honest service from some smaller outfits these days. I keep going back to Sweetwater out of habit for a good price, but I am finding much better pricing consistently from Wildwood in Colorado, and an outfit out of Pittsburgh called Nstuff Music. Both places offer great pricing, same day shipping with a full set up included in their pricing.

I recently bought a nice Martin from Nstuff that came in more than $150.00 lower than Sweetwater's lowest price.

Wildwood is not as cheap, but they are still far more responsive and ship far faster than any of the big guys. And I have to add that both places set ups have been almost perfect. There's always some minor tweaking that needs to be done to personalize a set up, but that's to be expected.

Both have great and knowledgable folks who really know their stuff. Both also have several informative and well produced YouTube gear reviews as well so that you actually can get a good feel for product. Where I live now there are no reliable music shops for miles around and I really have come to depend on these guys YouTube reviews, and have not been disappointed in any way by either shop. I can honestly say that as yet I have had no trouble of any kind with either Wildwood or Nstuff.

I can also say that in my dealings with them that I am totally confident that if there ever was any sort of issue that they would deal with it promptly, courteously and effectively.

I still have to turn to MF or Zzounds for exclusives, but for regular purchases I have given up on Sweetwater, MF, and GC is simply no longer on my radar at all.

I know this sounds like a big commercial, but I am in no way affiliated with either of these businesses other than being a very satisfied customer.

I have done orders for MF and Sweetwater, but nothing from Sweetwater in a few years. MF ships me any guitars I have order from them over night with free shipping too.

I have the phone number to one of the two guys that runs the warehouse in KS. I haven't placed a direct order to MF in many years.

Archived