Gibson Brands Forums

Show me an LP Deluxe, please

Junior Jr III

As of yesterday, I've owned this one for 42 years. I bought it used Oct 21st 1973. It was my first of a long line of Gibsons. It has a one piece body, no "Made in USA" stamp & no volute. First year in production for the Deluxe.

1969GibsonLesPaulDeluxe.jpg

Nice Gold Top, Grog! Glad you hung on to it! And, your's doesn't have the "goof rings" that

some of the early first year versions had. Cool!

I have an old Strat, that turns 52, in 2016! Still play it daily,

and, would never part with it!

CB

As of yesterday, I've owned this one for 42 years. I bought it used Oct 21st 1973. It was my first of a long line of Gibsons. It has a one piece body, no "Made in USA" stamp & no volute. First year in production for the Deluxe.

1969GibsonLesPaulDeluxe.jpg

Beautiful! And in all those years you've never had the urge to smash it into anything? Guess that's just Pete [laugh] Looks pristine. I'd display that one prominently too!

Now I'm really wanting to test out the mini's. I bought one to install in my Tele but that's not really the same. Maybe a test drive the next time I'm at GC.

Speaking of the issues with the mids on mini's; is this something that can be solved by rewinding the pickup / changing the magent / changing the wire used, etc? I'm a bit of a noob with the pickup side of things sometimes...just curious.

Another coincidence. I had that same exact strap.

This is freaking me out.

I have no idea where that strap came from. Seems like it appeared shortly after the LP was handed to me in '97...probably came with a guitar that I bought and I decided to use it with the LP. It's actually a Gibson (labeled) strap and is wide enough to distribute the weight of the Buick Roadmaster ---ERRR I meant Les Paul--- and does have that 70s vibe.

Just out of curiosity I've had a look to see how many DeLuxes are currently on eBay and there are a few - some of which are even nicely priced!

One interesting listing is a '75 (99 prefix serial number) which has the Les Paul DeLuxe rear-of-peghead waterslide but was one of the instruments factory-routed for full-size p'ups.

Obviously this puts it to 'Standard' specs (and it does indeed have a 'Standard'-engraved TRC) but it still counts as a DeLuxe in my books!

It's finished in Tobacco Sunburst, is in really fine condition and, at under £1,900, it seems to be a pretty good deal for anyone in the market for such a beast.

Pip.

• 1 month later...

My first proper electric was a 1971 Les Paul Deluxe, a gold top much like one of the first depicted at the top of this thread.

I bought it by saving up my paychecks from Hardee's.

It was awesome, but I was a no-talent dork, playing in a garage band.

I purchased it from a local music store (in 1976) for $700, and that price included a similar vintage Fender Twin Reverb amp.

When I joined the Army and went off to Flight School in 1978, I sold the guitar to a good friend and the amp to another good friend and garage-band mate.

I needed the money, and had no idea that Army pilots could still be Army pilots and play electric guitar.

The guitar is still alive and well, and still in the hands of that old friend.

He has replaced the neck once or twice.

(He's a hand-sweating kind of dude. Frets rust. Man.)

The Fender Twin Reverb blew up in the mid-1980's, and went off to the scrap heap.

I miss 'em.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

This is the DeLuxe that I bought new in 1980. I paid $800 Brand New out the door.

26A1F58A-670D-4F44-8DF0-19A8B4E1A184.jpg

761CDA08-E4A4-4541-926D-DF32CE874CC1.jpg

Ajay, your's has the sharper horn point (like mine), as well. I wonder what year that started? And, when it changed back, to a more rounded

horn tip, as it is currently? :-k Inquiring minds, want to know! [biggrin]

CB

Here's my '83... I guess in late '82 they returned to a solid body (no pancake) and made a few other changes. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the last year for the Deluxe until they started reissuing them in the 90's. The only thing that's been swapped out are the strap buttons. I love it but it weighs an ever loving ton!

83-LP-Deluxe.jpeg

If you look at the "horn," on all these, you'll notice that the horn on mine ('76 Cherryburst) is more pointed,

and less rounded, than the others! I've always wondered, when (what year) they changed, and/or when they

changed back?

Anyone know?

CB

Ajay, your's has the sharper horn point (like mine), as well. I wonder what year that started? And, when it changed back, to a more rounded

horn tip, as it is currently? :-k Inquiring minds, want to know! [biggrin]

CB

That's a good question. Also of note, is the body size varies, the "pointy" ones I think having a slimmer waist. Also, the knob placement.

Anyway, at one point I was wondering if it has to do with Nashville and Kalamazoo both making guitars at once, and if one "shape" came from one factory.

I never really found out, but still, a good question.

Thanks, Pippy!

And, here it is, once again: 1976 Vintage...

1ae53ac4-e1ed-47c6-a397-f234ff8333c4_zps7622db5f.jpg

All original parts electronics, and pickups, except the Grover Tuners!

But, I still have the stock "double ring" Kluson's, which could be

remounted, at some future point, if wanted/needed.

Very heavy, pancake body, as well. I use a "bass" neoprene strap, when I

play this one, at a gig!

CB

Very sharp CB

• 2 weeks later...

It's entirely possible that my 1980 DeLuxe is the first batch of Chibsons, and the pointy horn is the telltale heart! Who would have thought that the Chinese were sabotaguing our beloved gibsons 36 years ago. If You ask me, this means WAR! I will not put up with this! China, I'll be there in 18 hours, so look out! Dirty chinamen copying our beloved Gibsons will no longer be tolerated. Neither will the North Koreans setting off Hydrogen Bombs. Rambo is on the way!

Archived