Gibson Brands Forums

E-Journey

Cougar

It really has been a journey to get this piece into some sort of recording shape, namely about 4 months of fairly steady practice, along with an unplanned, fairly complete revamp of the home studio. I've recorded a lot of multitrack keyboard stuff in the past (underground amateur). This is my first serious recording playing an actual guitar* (rather than a synth that sorta sounds like a guitar) - my take on Jorma's Embryonic Journey instrumental from the Airplane's 1967 Surrealistic Pillow album....

https://soundcloud.c...ougar/e-journey

* Takamine GJ72CE 12-string

Good stuff - have you kept the keyboard version you did as well?

Was the Jorma album with Constanten any help after all?

I think it's great that you spent so much time on getting it down. Congratulations.

Thanks, all. I was really jazzed when I found that drum part, which I think really makes it with this piece. I was also thinking of adding a fretless bass part... Maybe I'll keep working on it... What's the trick on playing bass? :-k:rolleyes:

Good stuff - have you kept the keyboard version you did as well?

Thanks, jdmg - you kind of helped set this all in motion in that thread over a year ago by identifying that keyboard version, the name and source of which I could not recall to save my life. Here's the keyboard version, played from, like, a 30-40 year-old memory....

That album Jorma did with Constanten helped only insofar as inspiring me to work on this. Kottke's version was also pretty inspirational, although he plays it quite differently.

Once I tried it on the 12-string, there was no going back to a 6-string...

Thanks, all. I was really jazzed when I found that drum part, which I think really makes it with this piece. I was also thinking of adding a fretless bass part... Maybe I'll keep working on it... What's the trick on playing bass? :-k:rolleyes:

Thanks, jdmg - you kind of helped set this all in motion in that thread over a year ago by identifying that keyboard version, the name and source of which I could not recall to save my life. Here's the keyboard version, played from, like, a 30-40 year-old memory....

That album Jorma did with Constanten helped only insofar as inspiring me to work on this. Kottke's version was also pretty inspirational, although he plays it quite differently.

Once I tried it on the 12-string, there was no going back to a 6-string...

Covering Jorma's guitar work is difficult enough. Do you really want to try and channel Jack Casady ? lol. best of luck and God bless you ...

Archived