Gibson Brands Forums

2015 better then 2016

hoross

So people are so happy that Gibson went back with the 2016 to the classic sound from 2012-2013,well let put my 2 cents here i wanted to purchase a 2016 les paul traditional and i tried it.The pups were 57 classic and not the shredding kickass pups they had on 2014-2015 models.Also its weight relieved for a Traditional i dont get it?

Well since the 2015 went down with prices i purchased another traditional in honey burst really this guitar blows and i still will try to get the standard and studio in the near future.

It's down to personal voice but a lot of people did not like the changes made for the 2015 models, they were not selling in the shops with any remaining 2014 models getting sold over them. Personally I think it makes sense selling with 57 classics they cover a lot of basis are good quality and will appeal to a lot of people. As for weight relief again personal choice, for me a les Paul that weights 13 - 14 lbs is way too heavy.

Guest Farnsbarns

I still don't get the objection to traditional weight relief in the Traditional line. 32 years of weight relived Les Pauls. No one noticed for a number of years. No one can hear the difference. No one can see the difference (without x-rays).

Each to their own. I own a reissue just "because". I can accept not wanting weight relief, it's the non acceptance in the traditional line that I can't get my head around.

I really like the Mini-E-Tune (have it on my 70s Tribute) but my main concern in regards to the '15 models is the adjustable brass nut...I read quite a few negative comments on it..so that was kinda reason for me to dodge the 2015 lineup altogether..

As Ronnie stated earlier, it's all down to personal preference.

I personally don't like the auto-tuning doodle on the back of the headstock, and (though I love Les Paul the man and the inventor) I really never liked that Les Paul 100 signature icon on the front of the headstock.

Weight doesn't matter as much to me as much as how the guitar feels strapped on, and what sort of tones I get out of it.

I prefer a lighter guitar, don't get me wrong, but I'll put up with a heavy guitar if it has great tone, stays in tune, and gets me lots and lots of slutty groupies at the hotel after the gig.

Uh, wait.....

[unsure]

So people are so happy that Gibson went back with the 2016 to the classic sound from 2012-2013,well let put my 2 cents here i wanted to purchase a 2016 les paul traditional and i tried it.The pups were 57 classic and not the shredding kickass pups they had on 2014-2015 models.Also its weight relieved for a Traditional i dont get it?

Well since the 2015 went down with prices i purchased another traditional in honey burst really this guitar blows and i still will try to get the standard and studio in the near future.

I find it interesting that you refer to the 59 Tribute humbuckers as " shredding kickass pups" because I bought a 2014 Trad specifically because I wanted those pickups, which to my ears sound more like 50's PAF's than the 57 Classics. Regarding the weight relief, or lack of, I don't think it really makes any difference, it just makes my Traditional feel heavy compared to my other Les Paul's.

Ian

bought a 2015 junior with brass nut and robotuners removed.i emailed gibson and recieved a new titanium nut,dropped it in and adjusted it within 30 seconds.really like the adjustable nut idea as long as the nut is made out of something really hard to do away with the wear problem.its great to be able to adjust nut height quickly and painlessly.this might be the best feature of the 2015 lineup IMO.

Well my main issues with the 2015s was certainly not the pickups or whatever they did with the weight relief...

Firstly im just not interested in the auto tuners but that can be easily fixed... Mostly though it was down to the neck size which you cant fix.. I tried a few and they were just too much for me.. So I wouldn't be interested in a 2015 model whatever the pickups were on them or even how ever cheap they have become (they had some 2015 Juniors going for £285 which is an insane price for a Gibby)..

At least this year there is choice which is the main thing people were upset with.. Either buy a 2015 or if you wanted traditional specs get a custom (or get an older year if you could find one)... Cant complain about the offerings so far, they have certainly answered that issue this year.

And if you do like the 2015s.. well it was a good year for you guys :)

well to my the 59s pickups are really good and better then the 57s but of course thats everyone own opinion i play music in the vein of old 80s glamrock Gnr,LA Guns ,Motley Crue,Poison etc.. and i guess this guitar fits the best for me.

But of course thats everyones own opinion :)

Yeah, I wouldn't call the 59 Trib pickups "shredders" by any stretch (not that they can't be used for any type of music). They are my favorite Gibson pickup (57s used to be my favorite Gibsons, but when I got my 2014 Trad the 59s converted me), so I can understand lamenting that the 2016s went back to 57s... but A) the 59s are not "shredders" and B) the 57s are still great Gibson pickups.

As for the traditional weight reliving. They've been building LP with traditional weight relief since 1983. So they've been building them that way longer than they haven't been. What's more traditional then? Regardless, it seems people continually make the mistake of thinking that the Traditional model in the USA lineup is supposed to be honoring the old 58-60 Bursts. IT'S NOT! That's what the Reissues are for. The Traditional model in the USA lineup was introduced back in 2008 because they were really re-inventing the Standard at that point (ie, going to chambering, with push/pull pots, etc). They devised the Traditional model to offer their customers the option of getting a more "traditional" Standard build (ie, how the Standard had been built during the 80s and 90s)... and that's the genesis of the Trad. It's not meant to be a poor man's R9 (though people can and do make them into that because they are an excellent foundation for such a modded build)... they were and are meant to give the buyer a choice if they didn't want all the new fangled stuff on the 2008 Standards. And guess what... those 80s and 90s Standards that the Tradtional is modeled after... had Traditional Weight Relief. So yeah, it actually is correct for them to have it. They only years that the Trad didn't have traditional weight relief was 2013-15... every other year (including 2016 now) it's had it. A little product history knowledge goes a long way toward understanding why/what Gibson intends the Trad to be... and why the build them the way they do.

I think 2016 it's gonna be a really nice year if you want to buy a new Gibson.

Doesn't matter if you wan't ol school or HP, you can choose.

Now even some awesome 7 stringed beasts!

And about the 59 Tributes, yup it's the only thing I'm missing with the 16 models.

Are they "shredders"? Well I would't call them that. Of couse they can be plugged into the right amp or with a kick a$$ pedal.

It's what I like about PAF-ish pickups they are versatile.

I can only guess why they didn't use them this year.

All I know is when they had to send me a new 59 T because my bridge pickup was shorting they ordered it from from the Custom Shop. At least that is what the guy from Europe's customer care told me.

Archived