Gibson Brands Forums

Question for Raptor

DuaLeaD

It is a Les Paul Elegant that I had custom made for me in 2004. It took 8 months to build, and I worked for a few weeks with Gibson working out the details of the finish. I had the top upgraded a bit, the finish is custom, I changed the binding and plastic colour, and had a push/pull pot put in to put the two pickups out of phase. Here are a couple of pictures (at least until Photobucket gets mad and stops the viewing.).

GeorgesGibsonblue008.jpg

GeorgesGibsonblue013.jpg

Raptor

Let me second DuaLead's opinion of your guitar. Additionally, you seem to be The Authority on this site and always have insightful, informed answers.

I've noticed on more than one occasion that you made a comment about Photobucket getting angry. Is it a problem when we post pictures from there? That's the only reason I made an account.

Well, not really angry, but I have a free account there and in January a couple of days after I put up some pictures I got an e-mail saying I had exceeded my bandwidth and should pay for an account. They stopped showing the pictures I had posted until the start of Feb, then 're-opened' them for viewing. I am not sure if it is the size of the pictures, if I had too many out there, or what exactly. So far this month no problems, but I keep expecting it to happen again LOL. I usually put the pictures on my own webpage but I am still getting things up and running after some major computer changes, so I decided to use photobucket for a bit. I am sure others run into it from time to time, but for the average user there probably shouldn't be any problems.

Thanks for the kind words.

No they didn't allow me to pick the top, but I was specific about waht I wanted the top to look like and what I wanted it to look like with the finish on. I did a fair bit of back and forth on it with them before I ordered, and let them know that I trusted them completely. I spoke to someone at the CS many months after I got it and he told me a lot of the CS people commented on the guitar when it was being made and still remembered it. Pictures of it being made? That would be hard to come by, but I imagine they would look something like this.

P2235146.jpg

P4025510.jpg

GuitarGod, I was in the navy for over 16 yrs and was injured and permanently disabled. I used some of my severance pay to buy the guitar. I played in a cover band consitently from 1993 to 1999 while in the navy, and got to play gigs in bars and clubs all over the world, including playing for the USO in the Persian Gulf in 98. I am still working in defence/aerospace and am at a point where I can afford some nice guitars. You will own some nice ones in your lifetime too I am sure.

Edited because I used your avatar not your nick, called you Led Zepp at first.

DoubleSixx they were excellent to deal with, but I have a great shop here and a good friend who takes good care of me there. In the end, there is a leap of faith to some degree. You have to remember that the guitar is being handmade and might have some minor imperfections, and there is always a chance that the end people might interpret what you are saying differently. So I took my time, sent pictures of the colours I wanted, the pattern I wanted the burst applied with (notice that it runs around the edge at a constant distance, like the Robot's). The guitar came out beautifully, they really took their time and did an excellent job with it. I got another quote for another custom order the next year, but they stopped making one offs before I could order it.

GuitarGod' date=' I was in the navy for over 16 yrs and was injured and permanently disabled. I used some of my severance pay to buy the guitar. I played in a cover band consitently from 1993 to 1999 while in the navy, and got to play gigs in bars and clubs all over the world, including playing for the USO in the Persian Gulf in 98. I am still working in defence/aerospace and am at a point where I can afford some nice guitars. You will own some nice ones in your lifetime too I am sure.

Edited because I used your avatar not your nick, called you Led Zepp at first.[/quote']

if i could i would change my name to Led Zepp.it is and always will be my favorite band.

I think it's the most beautiful guitar on the forum....Worthy of dedicating a thread to. I've never seen anything like it and probably never will.

The blue reminds me of waves. It almost looks like it's flowing, like the ocean....

So how did you convince your wife this was worth 10 grand? That's what I want to know haha....

**I'm surprised Gibson let you mess with the logo....A lot of pride riding on that logo but it turned out very nice. Are those inlays pawa shells?

GKingN, I think you are confusing a cover band with a tribute band. A cover band plays other peoples songs, sometimes close to original, sometimes with little twists. A tribute band plays the songs of a particular band only. In other words a cover band usually plays music from several different bands. We played a little bit of everything, from Dylan to Floyd, Mathbox 20, U2, Eagles, Boston, AC/DC, 38 Special, Skynyrd, Oasis, VanMorrison, CCR, BTO, Beatles, Stones, Blue Rodeo and many others. We played everything from folk to metal, but mostly classic rock.

GeetarAxl, the Custom Shop stopped doing one off custom orders at the end of 2006. Now you need to order a minimum of 25 to get them to consider it. I ordered this one in Sep 04 and they discontinued the Elegant in Jan 05, so this was one of about 2 dozen back orders (Elegants) made in 05. In 2007 they brought back the Elegant in limited production as part of the 'popular demand series'.

DuaLeaD and DoubleSixx, the inlays and logo are abalone or Paua(if you are in New Zealand), and the abalone logo is normal on the Elegant, as are the inlays. I have never seen as much colour in other abalone inlays on other Gibsons. They have a lot of green and blue in them and I think they went out of their way to put extra nice inlays in to match the finish.

TimA, when I first saw the BFG in a low res pic I thought "Cool a quilt top Gibbo USA", now they have it in a washed blue finish too. Although I love the tone of the P-90/498 pickup combo, I can't get past the unfinished thing. To me, it looks like someone stopped working at the end of the day, and someone broke in and stole the guitar before it was finished. They sound great and are fine guitars too, glad you enjoy yours.

Archived