Gibson Brands Forums

2016 HUMMINGBIRD VINTAGE

BirdMan81

I had a good look at the "before" guitar and the replacement and the difference is striking. This opinion won't be very popular with the guitar experts here.

The first guitar has a perfectly quarter sawn back. The wood is actually quite amazing. The replacement is a flat sawn mess.

The top on the "first" guitar is a wonderful example of a AAA quarter sawn top The medullary rays (silking) are spectacular.

The top on the replacement is not AAA. It's not even AA and it's also not even close to an "A" top. It is quarter sawn and it has a nice medullary pattern but the pitiful thing is full of pitch lines. These are the dark lines that run thru the grain. These are full of pitch and are not of good quality. It's only a matter of time until the nitro finish will start sinking into these lines and the top will look like the mess that it is. A AAA top has absolutely no pitch lines. Only a top of this quality is put on a very inexpensive instrument not a classic Gibson Hummingbird.

The pickguard covers the rosette and comes up to the sound hole. That is not even close to what a Hummingbird pickguard looks like. It's a flubber mess. By the way it will come up it's only a matter of time.

The color of the guitar is subjective but it isn't even close to what a Hummingbird should look like. It's a tobacco sunburst and not even close to a Heritage Cherry color it should be.

I'm sure that the fretboard is just fine and the binding is perfect, but really? Get the first guitar back if at all possible. You paid a premium and you should get a great guitar.

gasoline on a fire......

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a good look at the "before" guitar and the replacement and the difference is striking.

Then you must admit we see cross-grains on #1 in post 81 on page 5 as well. Perhaps not as much, I don't know - lighting plays a role here.

This opinion won't be very popular with the guitar experts here.

The first guitar has a perfectly quarter sawn back. The wood is actually quite amazing. The replacement is a flat sawn mess.

The top on the "first" guitar is a wonderful example of a AAA quarter sawn top The medullary rays (silking) are spectacular.

The top on the replacement is not AAA. It's not even AA and it's also not even close to an "A" top. It is quarter sawn and it has a nice medullary pattern but the pitiful thing is full of pitch lines. These are the dark lines that run thru the grain. These are full of pitch and are not of good quality. It's only a matter of time until the nitro finish will start sinking into these lines and the top will look like the mess that it is. A AAA top has absolutely no pitch lines. Only a top of this quality is put on a very inexpensive instrument not a classic Gibson Hummingbird.

My Martin D-18 Custom (only 7 made) has this pattern (especially on both upper bouts) and sounds like royalty. It's from 2005 and the nitro shines as it shone from birth.

The pickguard covers the rosette and comes up to the sound hole. That is not even close to what a Hummingbird pickguard looks like. It's a flubber mess.

Not sure what you mean. As I see it this guard sits more or less where these guards sit. Try to look it up.

Btw. I thought the so called flubber is used on the Standards, not the TV's and torrefied new ones. Is that wrong ?

By the way it will come up it's only a matter of time.

Why, , , and will they all start to curl, rise and fall ? , , , the guards of this Board, , , of other Forums in this world, , , and other worlds.

The color of the guitar is subjective but it isn't even close to what a Hummingbird should look like. It's a tobacco sunburst and not even close to a Heritage Cherry color it should be.

Very few people would claim there is a final or correct hue for Hummingbird bursts (or fx J-45's for that matter). They come and came in all nuances through the years - just like when presented by Mother Nature herself. Excuse me, , , nothing different or 'wrong' with #2, , , as there's no 'right' in the colour-realm of H-Bird tops, back'n'sides.

I'm sure that the fretboard is just fine and the binding is perfect, but really? Get the first guitar back if at all possible. You paid a premium and you should get a great guitar.

Not sure if you are serious here, , , but dramatic, definitely YES ! .

Hey birdman81 play your guitar, it's Beautiful. I agree with you about the replacement you got. By the way, if one looks at the vintage hummingbirds pickguard at the sound hole, it is supposed to cover it just as yours does! I've always had a very high opinion of Gibson. There may be small errors every once in a great while, however; Gibson does not produce a bunch of junk as some may opinionated reviews maybe. I'm curious to hear the thermally cured top demo you're putting together. Play on man ! Congratulations again!

Wow. Glad my '65 HB has the natural top. Sure would be a bummer to find out it was 'wrong' after all this time. My pickguard sits wrong, I guess. At least the color is still crisp on the engraving -

I'm a flatpicker, too, so they must have done that one right. Take heart, Birdman: by the time you're as old and crusty as I am, that guitar will still be a serious buttkicker! Don't suppose you want to retrofit yours with the dreaded adjustable bridge; I changed mine to fixed around 1972, but went back to the original within a year when I came to the conclusion that now and then you have to trust your own ears, opinions, and (bless 'em) Gibson. Rants like this are probably why my wife sometimes accuses me of being an axxhole.

Please, OldCowboy, could you cycle or recycle a pic or 2 of that 60's Bird. .

With sounds if possible ^

As soon as I can get my daughter to give me a hand with the process - she's great with cameras and computers - whereas I can easily mess up with an electric toothbrush!

Sounds good -

As soon as I can get my daughter to give me a hand with the process - she's great with cameras and computers -

whereas I can easily mess up with an electric toothbrush!

No don't ever go tonerite with that thing.

I had a good look at the "before" guitar and the replacement and the difference is striking. This opinion won't be very popular with the guitar experts here.

I GUESS I DONT KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT WOOD CUTS TO RESPOND TO THIS.....PLEASE STATE YOUR CREDENTIALS IN WOOD SELECTION...MORE RESEARCH FOR ME TO DO I GUESS....I BETTER START READING.

WELL AGAIN...YOU SEEM TO KNOW MORE ABOUT WOOD SELECTION THAN ME, BUT I WAS TOLD THAT DON PICKED THIS ONE OUT AND IT WAS THE NICEST ONE THEY HAD ON HAND , WHO KNOWS.....MAYBE THE ONLY ONE THEY HAD...GIBSONS WEBSITE SAYS THAT THESE GIBSON HUMMINGBIRD VINTAGE GUITARS ALL COME WITH AAA SPUCE TOPS.

The pickguard covers the rosette and comes up to the sound hole. That is not even close to what a Hummingbird pickguard looks like. It's a flubber mess. By the way it will come up it's only a matter of time.

THE PICKGUARD IS NOT FLUBBER.

Hogeye was kidding i hope/guess, he compares to the standard while it is a vintage bird.

It's a tobacco sunburst and not even close to a Heritage Cherry color it should be

Vintage is not supposed to look like a standard HCS.

Birdman your bird looks beautiful and unique, i'm impatient to hear some of it.

Every time I see pictures of this model, it gets clear I would be in some kind of panic if I didn't have one myself. A strange little kick.

Time for you to play now.

What will be utterly interesting for us all - besides the coming A/B - is how it 'opens' over time. The process of a thermally cured, thus already ahead, top is something we don't know much about.

You are hereby sent on a mission, BirdMan. Our first man on that job went missing in action - lords bless him. We now count on you.

Keep all senses focused - your mind balanced and bold. Good Luck, Sir. .

Personally, I would be extremely happy with the woods on your new guitar. I really do hope you don't have second thoughts about this one. Very, very few guitars have woods that are "perfect". It is a natural material, and as such it does not do perfect very well. There is nothing wrong with your guitar!!

Congratulations!

Lars

Personally, I would be extremely happy with the woods on your new guitar. I really do hope you don't have second thoughts about this one. Very, very few guitars have woods that are "perfect". It is a natural material, and as such it does not do perfect very well. There is nothing wrong with your guitar!!

Congratulations!

Lars

Thanks Lars...over all I'm more happy that the fretboard binding issue is fixed. I'm not really sure if Hogeye is just trying to get me going (A quick look at his profile comments leads me to believe he just likes messing with board memebers). I don't really know too much about "Pitch Lines" if that really is a thing or what. But I would find it hard to believe that after all of this, Don Ruffatto would send me a REPLACEMENT guitar made of sub par (only A grade) spruce. I guess either way I'm covered by the warranty if the Nitro starts to "Sink into the pitch lines" down the road. Uploading a sound demo now.

Okay I tried to play the exact same thing in the exact same location in my house using just my cell phone. Only difference is in these videos I'm using a .70mm pick and in the first video earlier in the thread i was using a .60mm pick.

Here is the first half:

Here is the second half:

Apologies in advance for any mistakes...I'm no pro :)

BONUS POINTS FOR ANYONE WHO CAN NAME THE SONGS PLAYED!

The next step will be to change strings and add the bone pins:

image_71.jpeg

Thoughts on which strings? I also have a set of Elixer Poly Webs.

. . . What was the original question?

You almost scared me away from the video 2 demo by reaching for the capo right out the gate. But then at t=1:06, I did recognize a little of the demo that David from Guitarist did in the

in Gibson Artist's thread 31 March.

Are you sure you want to harden the sound of that Hummingbird nectar with bone pins? A potential install of the Elixir Poly's would probably bring things back to warm, or maybe too much back. 'Never will forget going to a recently opened GC store and playing a handful of freshly minted guitars. They all sounded tight. Yours will open up with all of that playing.

So, it looks like the fret ends extend over/into the neck binding? Maybe a close up pic is in order (?).

Nice rosewood selection on that fretboard, too. ; ).

Grrreat !

I managed to find the old #1 test and made the A/B back'n'forth myself.

Have to say I like the new one better, no kiddin'. Seems looser - more dry - perhaps even warmer.

To me it has all what the Bird is about and easily match the finest of the torrefieds I've heard so far.

Another thing is that the Bird as a model - no least this one in particular suits you vocal splendidly. They go like hand in glove. I'll give all 3 vids an extra listen later.

Regarding strings, take the Masterbuilts and let them break in - it will bring that smokey haze up in the honey-voice, remembered from Jesse's, , , and mine too for that matter.

Pins ? , , , try your way forward - it'll be a part of the fun. Never underestimate plast.

A 3-facet-Q comes up :

How would you compare the 2 necks - string-spacing at the nut, but also exact width and overall thickness ???

It has a head stock! It has a head stock!

It's a keeper then. Definitely.

And the sustain on it is for days and days...Amazing.

When these strings break in (a couple of weeks) you'll be hearing endless 'bird honey.

BONUS POINTS FOR NAMING SONG PLAYED:

I was Young When I left Home by the great

Superb. And the love will only increase as it ages, even in a few weeks/months you will see a huge difference in volume, at least that's what i experienced with my standard.

By the way like E-m said, i'd go for the 80/20.

BONUS POINTS FOR ANYONE WHO CAN NAME THE SONGS PLAYED

Pride & Joy, Vaughan

(so you can notice i watched them all)

Archived