Gibson Brands Forums

2016 HUMMINGBIRD VINTAGE

BirdMan81

I never got the link/ video as I only have a cell. My first choice of strings would be the Gibson's. I'm in concurrence with Em7 about the plastic pegs. I have always kept something in mind, with the exception of the action. I think Gibson has gone to the extreme/ technology of today to develope the pristine sound of the instrument. I personnally would not change anything yet except the strings. I feel Gibson would NOT cut corners to compromise our beloved sound of one of the most prized guitars "Hummingbird" by cutting cost of bridge pins. I would give it a whirl first.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does sound very good. Like the first specimen it already has that vintage vibe inherent in the tone. I thought this one sounded a bit sitiffer, a little tighter than the first one .... but thats to be expected given its a brand new guitar. Will sound fabulous when she starts openign up more, which I think will happen faster with a torrified top (i have a Furch guitar i bought 6 years ago with a torrified top and it open up quicker than any of my other guitars i bought around that time)

Will be intersting if you hear a difference with the bone bridge pins .They always enhanced the tone on my guitars EXCEPT on my HB TV. I was shocked how thinner the tone became and lost that nectar vibe of the Bird. Put the plastics back in and it came right back.

Every time I see pictures of this model, it gets clear I would be in some kind of panic if I didn't have one myself. A strange little kick.

[thumbup] its really nice when someone puts your feelings into words!

+ one on the Masterbuild 80/20 strings (just leave them on for a while, just play, play, play)

Grrreat !

I managed to find the old #1 test and made the A/B back'n'forth myself.

Have to say I like the new one better, no kiddin'. Seems looser - more dry - perhaps even warmer.

To me it has all what the Bird is about and easily match the finest of the torrefieds I've heard so far.

Another thing is that the Bird as a model - no least this one in particular suits you vocal splendidly. They go like hand in glove. I'll give all 3 vids an extra listen later.

Regarding strings, take the Masterbuilts and let them break in - it will bring that smokey haze up in the honey-voice, remembered from Jesse's, , , and mine too for that matter.

Pins ? , , , try your way forward - it'll be a part of the fun. Never underestimate plast.

A 3-facet-Q comes up :

How would you compare the 2 necks - string-spacing at the nut, but also exact width and overall thickness ???

I would have to say they are similar. But i feel as though the first one I owned had a wider fingerboard. Can this be? String spacing seems similar, again if anything, the first bird had more space between each string. (but this could just be my imagination). Thickness of the necks seem about the same. If anything, my new bird seems to have a thinner neck...again is all from memory...and i might be crazy?!

Who on this board has owned a cooked top gibson the longest?

I would have to say they are similar. But i feel as though the first one I owned had a wider fingerboard. Can this be? String spacing seems similar, again if anything, the first bird had more space between each string. (but this could just be my imagination). Thickness of the necks seem about the same. If anything, my new bird seems to have a thinner neck...again is all from memory...and i might be crazy?!

Who on this board has owned a cooked top gibson the longest?

If you check Wildwood's inventory on line, you'll see they show variations of the neck measures, which in my eyes is very classy.

I presume the difference you recall might either be the nut-spacing, not overall nut-width, or maybe as you say, the effect of finer neck sanding nuances.

The 2 left in my 1000 days marathon A/B/C/D differs = The slightly wider necked one has slightly narrower spacing :-)

They were born within the same 40 days in the early summer of '12.

I had a good look at the "before" guitar and the replacement and the difference is striking. This opinion won't be very popular with the guitar experts here.

The first guitar has a perfectly quarter sawn back. The wood is actually quite amazing. The replacement is a flat sawn mess.

The top on the "first" guitar is a wonderful example of a AAA quarter sawn top The medullary rays (silking) are spectacular.

The top on the replacement is not AAA. It's not even AA and it's also not even close to an "A" top. It is quarter sawn and it has a nice medullary pattern but the pitiful thing is full of pitch lines. These are the dark lines that run thru the grain. These are full of pitch and are not of good quality. It's only a matter of time until the nitro finish will start sinking into these lines and the top will look like the mess that it is. A AAA top has absolutely no pitch lines. Only a top of this quality is put on a very inexpensive instrument not a classic Gibson Hummingbird.

The pickguard covers the rosette and comes up to the sound hole. That is not even close to what a Hummingbird pickguard looks like. It's a flubber mess. By the way it will come up it's only a matter of time.

The color of the guitar is subjective but it isn't even close to what a Hummingbird should look like. It's a tobacco sunburst and not even close to a Heritage Cherry color it should be.

I'm sure that the fretboard is just fine and the binding is perfect, but really? Get the first guitar back if at all possible. You paid a premium and you should get a great guitar.

ALL OF THE 2016 HUMMINGBIRD VINTAGE GUITARS COME WITH AA COOKED SPRUCE TOPS! Not AAA, not A, but AA, per Gibsons website:

image_5.png

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. Looks like WildWood Guitars has a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage with a very similar "flat sawn mess" back as mine. Shame on them for selling such a "pitiful" guitar:

image_3.png

Looks like the Pickguard is in the same location as mine too! Imagine that? Right all up in the sound hole's face! Just like the original Hummingbirds. It's also made of plastic (not flubber) just like the one that I'm holding in MY hands right now! I'm guessing that may be the root of your post: (you not owning one and wishing you did). Even my Hummingbird Vintage full of "pitch lines" is better than your hummingbird vintage....oh wait that's right...you don't own one do you? As far as your "pitch lines" comment saying that my finish will fail over time: you have provided ZERO evidence regarding this....and searching the Internet yields ZERO evidence to this as well.

Again, a quick visit to your profile shows that you have a history of harassing other board members (per your own comments):

image_4.png

It's a shame that the moderators of this board let a memeber like you hang around. Don't worry, your dumb comments will not make me leave this community like the last poor guy you harassed!

ALL OF THE 2016 HUMMINGBIRD VINTAGE GUITARS COME WITH AA COOKED SPRUCE TOPS! Not AAA, not A, but AA, per Gibsons website:

image_5.png

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. Looks like WildWood Guitars has a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage with a very similar "flat sawn mess" back as mine. Shame on them for selling such a "pitiful" guitar:

image_3.png

Looks like the Pickguard is in the same location as mine too! Imagine that? Right all up in the sound hole's face! Just like the original Hummingbirds. It's also made of plastic (not flubber) just like the one that I'm holding in MY hands right now! I'm guessing that may be the root of your post: (you not owning one and wishing you did). Even my Hummingbird Vintage full of "pitch lines" is better than your hummingbird vintage....oh wait that's right...you don't own one do you? As far as your "pitch lines" comment saying that my finish will fail over time: you have provided ZERO evidence regarding this....and searching the Internet yields ZERO evidence to this as well.

Again, a quick visit to your profile shows that you have a history of harassing other board members (per your own comments):

image_4.png

It's a shame that the moderators of this board let a memeber like you hang around. Don't worry, your dumb comments will not make me leave this community like the last poor guy you harassed!

Look I'm just trying to help you get a good guitar. You paid a lot of money and deserve the best. I personally don't care what you do or how your guitar stands up. I don't have any money involved. You do.

I have three Hummingbirds. All are original vintage guitars from the early 60's. I have been involved in the music industry for well over 35 years. I have worked for 3 major music manufactures.

You need to read your warranty if you think the finish is covered.

No one wants you to go. I enjoy your enthusiasm and hope that this is only the first of many Gibson guitars you buy. You're right it was not my place to try to help you.

The guys happy with his guitar, dont ruin the party.

Everybody else on the forum thinks the replacement Bird looks great, does that make them all clueless aswell?

We dont all need to be cork sniffers.

quote name='Hogeye' timestamp='1461030590' post='1762086']

Look I'm just trying to help you get a good guitar. You paid a lot of money and deserve the best. I personally don't care what you do or how your guitar stands up. I don't have any money involved. You do.

I have three Hummingbirds. All are original vintage guitars from the early 60's. I have been involved in the music industry for well over 35 years. I have worked for 3 major music manufactures.

No one wants you to go. I enjoy your enthusiasm and hope that this is only the first of many Gibson guitars you buy. You're right it was not my place to try to help you.

If you really are trying to help I appreciate it. Can you see from my point of view how your posting (in multiple threads) could be conceived by me as antagonizing and provoking? The last thing I want is this guitar to have a finish that sinks into these so called pitch lines 5 years from now. Again, if you are trying to help please provide some support and evidence of this claim. I did some research on my own and came across this site:

http://www.lmii.com/wood-gradin

According to them, my new guitar actually has a better selected top because the grain lines are very tight, or close together.....which make for a stronger top. Some would argue better tone too. I see nothing about pitch lines on this site. Can you please direct me to more information if you truly are trying to help?

Also, it would not make sense that a guy as high up as Don Ruffatto at Gibson would send me a replacement guitar with this kind of problem after all the trouble I had with my first guitar. And I would think he would be able to recognize pitch lines as a potential problem. How do you explain that?

Finally if you are truly trying to help....what do you suggest I do?

*you are correct in that the warranty does not cover the Finnish, thanks for pointing this out but I was already aware of this.

If you really are trying to help I appreciate it. Can you see from my point of view how your posting (in multiple threads) could be conceived by me as antagonizing and provoking? The last thing I want is this guitar to have a finish that sinks into these so called pitch lines 5 years from now. Again, if you are trying to help please provide some support and evidence of this claim. I did some research on my own and came across this site:

http://www.lmii.com/wood-gradin

According to them, my new guitar actually has a better selected top because the grain lines are very tight, or close together.....which make for a stronger top. Some would argue better tone too. I see nothing about pitch lines on this site. Can you please direct me to more information if you truly are trying to help?

Also, it would not make sense that a guy as high up as Don Ruffatto at Gibson would send me a placement guitar with this kind of problem after all the trouble I had with my first guitar. And I would think he would be able to recognize pitch lines as a potential problem. How do you explain that?

Finally if you are truly trying to help....what do you suggest I do?

*you are correct in that the warranty does not cover the Finnish, thanks for pointing this out but I was already aware of this.

I would refer you to the previous post on wood grading. You will have to look at the "B" top to find a description of yours. I'm sure you have all the guitar that you deserve. Enjoy it.

I would refer you to the previous post on wood grading. You will have to look at the "B" top to find a description of yours. I'm sure you have all the guitar that you deserve. Enjoy it.

Your reply again is passive aggressive in that you believe I deserve a lesser quality guitar than what I paid for. What an assh@le you are!

Looks like I'll be reaching back out to Don to see what he thinks of all this......is there a Gibson Rep on this board who would like to chime in?

Hey birdman, I'm in full agreement with you! Maybe Don can get the webmaster's attention. Hang in there! I believe the others will be in agreement, because there are more pro's here than 1 con.

Thanks for the support. I could care less what Don thinks of Hogeye's poor forum etiquette..I'm just currious about what someone at Gibson thinks of the guitar top. If it truly is a B top than its not what I paid for. Gibsons website clearly says that the hummingbird vintage comes with a AA top. I m also curious if Don actually saw my replacement guitar with his own eyes. The crappy thing is it's all up to Gibson at this point....they could come back and say it's a AA top and that would be the end of it.....

Dont worry about Hogeye ..... some people just have an overinflated opinion of themselves. (unwarranted)

Enjoy the forum and keep on posting, you have a great Bird there mate.

Thanks for the support. I could care less what Don thinks of Hogeye's poor forum etiquette..I'm just currious about what someone at Gibson thinks of the guitar top. If it truly is a B top than its not what I paid for. Gibsons website clearly says that the hummingbird vintage comes with a AA top. I m also curious if Don actually saw my replacement guitar with his own eyes. The crappy thing is it's all up to Gibson at this point....they could come back and say it's a AA top and that would be the end of it.....

I would refer you to the previous post on wood grading. You will have to look at the "B" top to find a description of yours.

I would say low grade D plastic top with paper printed mahogany staÿle back and sides.

Heck it is probably not even a genuine flubber pickguard...

... and i've been in music industry for many years !

... was cleaning desks.

Don't worry about your guitar. It's gorgeous!! It is obvious that you have doubts about the quality of the instrument you just bought. That is okey and understandable when spending a lot of money, but in this case it is not necessary. You should be enjoying the honeymoon right now, instead of worrying if you married the right "bird". She is beautiful, and has a great personality that stands out in a crowd. Wood is a natural material and variations between sets only adds to the individuality and desirability of the instrument.

Lars

Don't worry about your guitar. It's gorgeous!! It is obvious that you have doubts about the quality of the instrument you just bought. That is okey and understandable when spending a lot of money, but in this case it is not necessary. You should be enjoying the honeymoon right now, instead of worrying if you married the right "bird". She is beautiful, and has a great personality that stands out in a crowd. Wood is a natural material and variations between sets only adds to the individuality and desirability of the instrument.

Lars

Thanks Lars !

The "look" of the top now doesn't really bother me....I'm not an elitist.....but if what Hogeye's says will happen....does happen.....then I'll be upset if the finish sinks into the "pitch marks". And since the warranty doesn't cover finishes ....I'm just SOL at that point.....

Well, if, and that is a big IF, that happens hopefully you have played the guitar hard and long, leaving scratches, dings, finish checks and pickmarks. A good finish is thin and will show the texture of the wood as it ages. It is also bound to show signs of use. It is a natural part of the ageing process of a frequently played guitar. The more you use it, the more you will love the character marks. They make the guitar yours. Just imagine if you send this one back and after a week with a new guitar you put big ding on the top. These things are bound to happen if you play the guitar...

This is my 74 year old J-45. It is full of "scars" and I would't want it any other way.

DSC_0186_zps85228b7a.jpg

Lars

Archived