Gibson Brands Forums

First Audition

carranoj25

For what it's worth, of the 4 formal "auditions" I've been on in my 45+ years of guitar playing...... I CRASHED & BURNED at 3 of them! Although..... two of those bands called me up about a year after the audition and offered me the "chair".

I've also been on the "selection committee" at auditions for a college jazz "Big Band". I kind of felt sorry for some of those kids, as the formal audition process can be pretty brutal, especially at the college and university level.

Anyway, here's my last minute advise:

Be as prepared as possible.

Show up and be ready on time. 7:00 usually means ready to play at 7, not walking in the door at 7 with another 15 min. to set up.

Bring ALL the personal gear you need for your setup.

Have ALL your gear smoke tested and ready to go. Cables checked, fresh batteries in pedals, spare strings, etc.

and most of all.....HAVE FUN.

More great info. I was just told this by one of the guys.

"The studio has laney heads (a 6L6 & EL34 versions) with 4x12 cabs. The heads are 2 channel with a boost all foot switchable. Lead guitarist brings his own head"

So I should be good to go. Just wish I had a couple longer cables. Also need to bring a extension cord because I use an adapter with my pedal

Went well! I did my best and had a ton of fun. Maybe Ill get a call back maybe I won't, but I finally got to feel what it was like playing with other experienced musicians in a loud/rehearsal setting. Now IM HOOKED. I even got to improvise a solo on a Van Halen song because the guitarists' amp blew a fuse or something like that. Rock n Roll!

Now IM HOOKED.

Glad to hear it went well. I agree,, playing with others is where it's at. I pretty much quit playing 25 years ago because I lost people to jam with. I was bored playing alone and just lost interest.

There is nothing that compares to playing with other people.

Hope they call you but if they don't there will be others. Don't sweat it.

Think of this one:

"Würzel was literally shaking when he auditioned for Motorhead. I said, Christ, mate - sit down, have a couple of vodkas. You'll be alright.

Then he plugged in, and he WAS all right. But unbeknownst to him, he'd already warmed my heart. The letter with his audition tape said, 'I hear you're looking for an unknown guitar player. Well, there's no one more unknown than me.'"

-Lemmy Kilmister

• 2 weeks later...

Yup to all...

Sorry I missed earlier comment, but the guys did the OP very well.

Just one extended comment as follow-up though...

Note that Larry got calls a year later!

And... that sounds frustrating at first and good for the "later," but think of it this way - sometimes there's not a "fit" with time, place, other players and a band's "book." That's not bad because it can be frustrating to have plenty of skill, if not "talent," but just not fit with a given group at a given time and their book.

Frankly I've made more money with a reliable bunch of folks of medium skills and good bookings (as in a house band) and had more fun with less drama, than with more talented but somewhat erratic folks.

What happens, happens. But I'll add that once you're hooked, you'll find a way, frustrating as it may be at times. Just be reliable and obviously enjoying the gigs. That way if band #1 doesn't work out, at worst, you'll have a rep of being reliable and decent to work with. The assumption that you're at minimum competent will be there too if the first two are mentioned first.

Best of luck regardless!

m

Hey all! So i ended up getting the gig! Feels very good to play in a group at a rehearsal studio. Something I know deep down I've just been craving and I can finally bring it to the surface. This is a great way to start, however, I am practicing my butt off because I want to get a lead guitar spot somewhat soon. Thank you all for your advice. Rock n Roll must survive

Hey all! So i ended up getting the gig! Feels very good to play in a group at a rehearsal studio. Something I know deep down I've just been craving and I can finally bring it to the surface. This is a great way to start, however, I am practicing my butt off because I want to get a lead guitar spot somewhat soon. Thank you all for your advice. Rock n Roll must survive

I wouldn't be in such a hurry, although I admire your ambition.

But remember, many, many, many a guitar player and band has been torn apart from ambition.

GOOD "rhythm guitar" is where it's at. And I mean that with every bone in my guitar player body and every once of feeble experience and wisdom I can muster.

If you make it your ambition to be the best rhythm guitar player you can be, you will enjoy a good and prosperous career as a guitar player. Bands that are serious, or any good, will always pick the best based on that. They make better players, better musicians, and better riftsters, better songwriters.

If, on the other hand, your leads are great, but your rhythm playing is average or so-so, you will be in a long line of guitar players with no gigs because the good rhythm players have put bands together and don't see the need to add another guitar because they got it handled.

I wouldn't be in such a hurry, although I admire your ambition.

But remember, many, many, many a guitar player and band has been torn apart from ambition.

GOOD "rhythm guitar" is where it's at. And I mean that with every bone in my guitar player body and every once of feeble experience and wisdom I can muster.

If you make it your ambition to be the best rhythm guitar player you can be, you will enjoy a good and prosperous career as a guitar player. Bands that are serious, or any good, will always pick the best based on that. They make better players, better musicians, and better riftsters, better songwriters.

If, on the other hand, your leads are great, but your rhythm playing is average or so-so, you will be in a long line of guitar players with no gigs because the good rhythm players have put bands together and don't see the need to add another guitar because they got it handled.

Hey Stein, thanks for the advice. It makes perfect sense that Rhythm is of utmost importance. That is the reason I wanted this gig. It helps me contribute to the music more by learning new ways to play rhythms. I do also want to get my leads up by tenfold so I make that a priority as well.

Also, thanks Kelly!

The thing about rhythm guitar is that it's different if one is doing close-to-original-covers or doing new music or at least new versions of other folks' well known material.

Sometimes you're copying, but sometimes you're setting up the entire feel of the music.

One example of the latter is in gypsy jazz... another in the way pre-electric guitars were used toward the end of the swing era with chord leads, etc., that never dropped the rhythm itself.

Good luck, but most of all, have fun and enjoy. Those things remain with you long after any given gigs.

m

Archived