Gibson Brands Forums

The fuzz acquisition continuum

Dub-T-123

Dub-T... I think it's time for you to consider joining Fuzzaholics Anonymous!

[biggrin]

I have another one coming in the mail #-o

I had splurged on the other one and this one fell into my lap in the meantime. What can I say, I'm hopeless!

Have you got a Boss FZ series fuzz?

Think the newer ones are COSM which sort of defeats the object....but if it sounds good.......

I don't own one but the FZ-2 is pretty cool it's based on the Superfuzz and has a really loud clean boost mode

The fuzz continuum continues. Today with an Ace Tone FM-2 Fuzz Master from late 60s-early 70s

Ace Tone was a Japanese company which later became Roland and then BOSS. So this pedal is sorta obscure but also kinda "relevant" to modern stompboxes.

Best of all it sounds really good, in a ridiculous over the top kinda way :P It's based on the Univox Superfuzz, but I have a Univox and I'm thinking the Ace Tone sounds better.

DAC994E9-A9AA-4D13-B5AE-B49E16A8ABD1_zps7wpwkjbh.jpg

FEAA5208-87D6-465F-AA3E-3F148B04C711_zpsz7u7d7no.jpg

D5F78B2C-2F78-4CBB-881B-3DFD75524727_zpsiyjmswcx.jpg

those are nice and all, but there can be only one king when it comes to fuzz. my personal favorite is this one:

EFCVFFRDHS.jpg

I would have saved a lot of money if I believed that :P

That pedal is a modified Big Muff copy. There are lots of nice Big Muffs and copies out there, but I'm glad you found one that you like

You can never have too many fuzz pedals. Never.

Congrats on the acquisitions! I bet they're killer.

Thanks! I know you're not a big muff fan but the Ace Tone would have to make you happy. It's kinda reminiscent of the sound Ty Segall gets with the Fuzz War, but buzzier and with the upper octave

Thanks! I know you're not a big muff fan but the Ace Tone would have to make you happy. It's kinda reminiscent of the sound Ty Segall gets with the Fuzz War, but buzzier and with the upper octave

Buzzy fuzz is good.

I have come around to the big muff some. As long as it has ample sweet highs and isn't too mid scooped.

Buzzy fuzz is good.

I have come around to the big muff some. As long as it has ample sweet highs and isn't too mid scooped.

I'll have to email you a little clip of the Ace Tone because I suck at describing the sound, but it's badass

I think you'd like the Russian and op amp muffs best. The Russian tends to sound less scooped and more dynamic than the American versions

I would have saved a lot of money if I believed that :P

That pedal is a modified Big Muff copy. There are lots of nice Big Muffs and copies out there, but I'm glad you found one that you like

Really aren't like 90% of fuzz designs either a Big Muff, a Fuzz Face, or a Tonebender retread? Not saying that's a bad thing, mind you. You should write an article and submit it to guitar magazines - maybe deal with the obvious first and then focus on the more unique designs that you have encountered.

At some point we really need pics of the collection you are building too. [thumbup]

Yeah Pup that's pretty much how it goes. There are even Tone Benders that are Big Muff copies, and a Tone Bender that's a Fuzz Face copy (or was it the other way around? :-k ). And really the first Tone Bender model was based on the Maestro FZ-1 so yeah it's safe to say the cloning has been going on for a while

Here's a pic with most of the fuzzes not including ones that I built. The only exception is the Fuzz Face which is a Dunlop Fuzz Face that I gutted and rebuilt with Newmarket NKT275s.

9A8DCC51-134D-473A-A80A-B182AFAB1CD0_zpsdnxy9t7s.jpg

Yeah Pup that's pretty much how it goes. There are even Tone Benders that are Big Muff copies, and a Tone Bender that's a Fuzz Face copy (or was it the other way around? :-k ). And really the first Tone Bender model was based on the Maestro FZ-1 so yeah it's safe to say the cloning has been going on for a while

Here's a pic with most of the fuzzes not including ones that I built. The only exception is the Fuzz Face which is a Dunlop Fuzz Face that I gutted and rebuilt with Newmarket NKT275s.

9A8DCC51-134D-473A-A80A-B182AFAB1CD0_zpsdnxy9t7s.jpg

Thats a great collection..love the univox ...I only have one, the jimi fuzz face mini..

Thats a great collection..love the univox ...I only have one, the jimi fuzz face mini..

Thanks!

Have you ever tried the Joyo Ultimate Octave? I got this about 6 years ago and have not wanted another since.

It really allows you to get a multitude of fuzz tones. [thumbup]

107-2.jpg

Yeah those sound great they are basically a Foxx Tone Machine clone and the Tone Machine rocks. Love how it can be tamed down or super crazy

Archived