Gibson Brands Forums

Foreign-made guitars and sweat-shops

sparquelito

Some factories have nets set up outside the building so that workers can't jump out the window to commit suicide. That's how bad they are!

That's pretty funny!

Middle of his shift, some guy screams "I can't take it anymore!", and leaps out of a window; supervisor sticks his head out and shouts down at him "You'll be back!", right before the guy hits the net, and - BOIINNGG - he gets flung right back up through the window he jumped out of.

I failed to post a photo of mine and my wife's newly-acquired (non-American, non-UK) motorcycles.

In the foreground, her new 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S.

In the upper right, my new 2016 Suzuki DR200S.

Hers is a much more smooth and powerful machine, but mine is nimble and gives me the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

:)

xtwo_new_bikes.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UmrbgSjW4a.jpg

How many of you that love American made and don't want sweat shop goods have posted on here on an iPhone or iPad? Samsung Galaxy? They have dreadful working conditions and suicides each year.

I think Japan and Korea make guitars as good as any American guitar. We all like to be patriotic, but the world is shrinking and a man is a man wherever he is.

Back to Gibson. I think it's fairly obvious that there is a massive cost cutting/cutting corners thing happening there. Cheaper cases. Taking the nibs off certain models. Circuit boards instead or wiring by hand. I think the Custom/Memphis shop is the only true Gibson now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8GQNJ0WJb4

In terms of what constitutes a "sweatshop," I think one has to look at the industry and the culture surrounding that industry. Heck the hottest place I've ever worked was a very high-end magazine printing plant that was using heatset inks.

As far as guitars go, I'd suggest that all brands can have a pickle in there somewhere, regardless where manufactured. Brands like Gibson and Fender and their sub-price brands will do better and have generally better customer satisfaction, although up-and-comers like Eastman ain't doing poorly, either.

Compared to the '60s? Even today's low-end stuff is IMHO as good as most of what was available.

And I'll wager one would find better conditions worldwide for workers in the "better" shops now than then, if for no other reason than better temperature and humidity control of woods during manufacture of lots and lots of instruments.

m

the "only buy american" guys make me SMH. why in the world you would swear loyalty to someone who has none for you is beyond my understanding.

99% of all people get the ax if their company finds a younger person to do their job for less money. yet some how they continue to spew regurgitated dog vomit ideas that make no sense.

you're gonna buy a big ticket item. without considering what it might be, what is your plan? how many of you immediately thought "oh i would do the research and try to get the most bang for my buck."

except lots of people say that but it's not what they do. instead they buy lifestyle brands. harummph! buy american! ridiculous. you think anyone in york pa or memphis is going to care if you get laid off? are they strutting around trying to save YOUR industry? corporate america can kiss my fat little behind. i'm done crossing oceans for people who won't jump puddles for me.

That's pretty funny!

Middle of his shift, some guy screams "I can't take it anymore!", and leaps out of a window; supervisor sticks his head out and shouts down at him "You'll be back!", right before the guy hits the net, and - BOIINNGG - he gets flung right back up through the window he jumped out of.

It'd be funny if it wasn't true. But it is. They have got nets to stop suicides. You work for them, live in their building and they virtually own you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qibxm52y1v8

Archived