Gibson Brands Forums

Price Check Aisle 3

Joe M

Not that I could afford this at even half the price, but is this price reasonable for what it is?

http://www.elderly.com/instruments/acoustic-guitars/flat-top-acoustic-guitars/gibson-sj-100-1941.htm

Don't know. Check back in a year. Did they finally sell that SJ-200 from the same era that they had? They were asking $125,000 for that one. For quite a while.

Nice enough SJ-100, but did you see the case?:

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-09%20at%205.52.44%20PM_zps48n3fu3t.png

A beauty. Original cases for late 50's Les Pauls pushing past $6000.

Probably. Stan rarely misses or misleads concerning instrument values when he's selling. The fact that it's a consignment adds some to the sticker, though. Surely not an instrument for the working musician.

If I owned an instrument worth $28,000, and especially one worth $125,00, I'd be selling it. For $4,000 or less, I could easily replace the guitar with one that sounds just as sweet to my ears and does what I need for my music. Plus, I'd have more money in the bank. If I were a collector who sold and traded for heirloom instruments, I'd likely think differently, but I buy guitars because I like playing them. Not knocking those who collect these historic and often famous instruments. Just giving the view of someone who intends to play them when I buy them.

Not that I could afford this at even half the price, but is this price reasonable for what it is?

http://www.elderly.com/instruments/acoustic-guitars/flat-top-acoustic-guitars/gibson-sj-100-1941.htm

I would probably pick up the 000 as well while there. That has been there for a while as well. Round out the collection with a bit of this and ....:

http://www.elderly.com/instruments/acoustic-guitars/flat-top-acoustic-guitars/martin-000-45-1936.htm

BluesKing777.

I played that guitar a month or so ago. It's as fine a Gibson as I've encountered. A huge, warm, yet crisp tone. What's not to like about a vintage super jumbo with mahogany back and sides?

Well, the price, I suppose. But, just imagine if you'd bought it a decade or two ago. I do think that one thing folks who question vintage guitar prices fail to consider is that the prices have consistently risen. Demographics and aesthetic sensibilities being what they are - the older folks collected vintage guitars will soon be no more, I believe that those days are gone (except with respect to the rarest of guitars). But, I can offer personal testimony that, with careful buying and selling, it was very easy to net sufficient resources to cover the cost of a modest guitar collection, making the collection free but for the time, effort, and pleasure of the process.

John, I think you misunderstood the purpose of me posting the original question. I have no problem with a dealer, or anyone, for that matter, asking for whatever they want for whatever they want to sell. More power to them. And, it's of course, all relative; why should a CS HB cost hundreds, if not thousands, more than a HB Standard? Is the quality of the materials that much better? The skill of the builder(s) that much better? CS Strat or Tele selling for thousands more than an American Standard? Were the old ones really that much better than new ones? All rhetorical questions. I'm afraid that many people believe that because something is old, it's better than a new one, whether it's a guitar, car, or whatever. Vintage guitar prices are what they are because sellers can ask for them.

I'm sure that, as you said, the guitar plays and sounds great; hopefully it's still there the next time I take a trip to Elderly and I can play it also, like you did. I have no doubt that it's a fine guitar.

Bottom line is that, unfortunately, the only buyer for a guitar like that one is going to be a collector and will put it in his vault, or wherever a collector puts his guitars, and only take it out to show it off to his friends. Sad, really. How many great guitars will never get to be played again the way they should be?

John, I think you misunderstood the purpose of me posting the original question ...

Oh, no disagreement here. I simply wanted to post my perspective that the vintage guitar market presented opportunities that the new or newly-used guitar market did not.

A simple example. A few years ago, a new J-45 and a WWII-era Banner LG were the same price. Folks had a choice of buying the new J-45 and. if needed, selling it a year or three later for half the purchase price. Or, folks could buy the Banner LG and, if needed, selling it a year or three later for twice the purchase price.

Archived