Gibson Brands Forums

New Website design questions

Shadow

Hello folks,

I wanted to ask some questions to the group, "What do you all think of the design, and functionality?" and also "How would you change the Search or Navigation to make it easier to use?" As one might have expected we have received several Talk2Us emails concerning the website. Some of the comments good and some of them were bad. The one thing that I have seen that is missing is the suggestions for how we can improve.

I guarantee that I will read all your comments. I will even send PM’s when more clarification is needed.

Thank you

S

Shadow,

I find the new site difficult to navigate. Especially when you're searching for different model guitars or even similar models, but differnt lines.

What I miss is the information as to what has been discontinued. There are a couple of guitars that I was interested in that just disappeared when the new site was launched.

A suggestion would be to mimic Apple's iTunes coverflow, but using guitars. I think it would be awesome to scroll through a virtual stack of Les Paul's, stopping on the one I want and clicking through to further information and diffferent finishes. It could be organized in a similar why with a SG, Les Paul, ES and Archtop scroll.

It's not all bad though, I do think the brighter appearance is better and highlights the guitars better.

Hope this helps.

twelvenotes,

Thank you for the information.

If you would not mind give a couple search example that you find difficult to perform. (PM them if you want)

As we moved everything under one big tent, I know that some of the items became harder to find. Which is why examples will help me to try and add functionality that will help with this.

Discontinued model's, I know everyone wants to see them. I will keep you posted on what I can get done in this area.

Specs??? They are coming.

There's some parts I dont like that much but, I'm sure its just a matter of time for me to get acustomed to the new site... The one thing I dont really like is the new gallery format... I liked it better when we could look at complete pics of the guitars, bu I think it's better that way because counterfeiters wont be getting that info (how a real gibson looks) directly from you. That doesnt stop them from downloading pics from the forum or from sites such as guitarcenter or musiciansfriend though...

All in all I think the new site is great, lots of things have changed so its just a matter of time till everyone gets to know and like it.

Thanks for asking! You guys are doing a great job.

Just an observation, but to me there is something about navigating first by body shape and then "brand" that blurs the distinction between the high and low ends of the line. Not to sound like a snobby cork-sniffer, but the Epiphones seem to be randomly mixed in with the Custom Shop offerings by default and I'm not so sure that approach helps either brand define itself to the market.

The photography seems excellent, but when you're looking at (apparently) the "Overview" page of a specific model, the features and details seem a little difficult to find up in the corner. Perhaps the four "Overview/Features/Finishes/Buy Now" buttons should all appear grayed-out in the the nav bar below the main guitar image once someone has clicked a specific model??

And... I hope you're able to get ALL available models up soon (339/336/356 fans are in a panic).

Clayville,

I feel that we have addressed this by allowing searching by Body or Brand at any time. Does this not resolve the brand - body blur? Since the release I have also reworked the search to only show you what is available when a body or brand has been selected. Does this add confusion? Or make it simplier.

The order list that you see when all brands and bodies is actually done by popularity.

"Perhaps the four "Overview/Features/Finishes/Buy Now" buttons should all appear grayed-out in the the nav bar below the main guitar image once someone has clicked a specific model?" Do you think that the submenu options should be darker and easier to see?

I will pass this on to our content producers.

(339/336/356 fans are in a panic).

Thanks.

On the body/brand thing: I was referring to more of a navigation issue than a search one, and it flows from my notion that perhaps the differences between (say) a Gibson ES Dot and an Epi ES Dot should perhaps be more readily apparent. And that, say, the various Gibson ES-335s should perhaps be together when navigating (not just searching) rather than having Epis or 137s or whatever get in the way of exploring the possibilities. Begs the question: If the order is by "Popularity", meaning... what? Units? Dollars? or (heh, heh) cultural impact of the music made with them?

's OK... you don't have to answer that one!

I'm (decades into my guitar life now) a bit prejudiced towards the CS-level components and craftsmanship -- and that's partly a product of Gibson's long-term marketing efforts, partly a result of evident quality, and partly what my ears tell me. It seems to me that if GMIC has spent decades and many dollars successfully educating/training the market to believe that the high-end is, well the high-end for good and proper reasons that were apparent and clearly delineated, maybe the online presentation should reflect (or even guide) that a bit more than it seems to do. The "blurring" seems to undermine it somewhat. I realize some folks get hung up on what's CS, what's not, what's Memphis, what's Nashville, etc. but if I put on my "marketing guy" hat it seems that some of the CS mojo is a bit squandered the way the navigation works now. Just food for thought.

I DO think the submenu options (once you're on a model page) are a bit hard to recognize -- now they seem like a secondary item up in the corner under the search bar instead of a semi-crucial way to do more than look at the (wonderful) pictures. Maybe it's the thumbnail secondary images loading low and centered that draws my attention away from where I need to go next for additional info?

One other minor thing regarding navigation: If I'm in one family of guitars (say, Electric) it's not entirely obvious how to switch to a different family (say, Acoustic). I did eventually figure out that I could click Products in the central horizontal navbar or go back to the upper pull down menu, but it seemed to me that I wanted to look back in the upper left corner where I had made the selection from the page with static links after clicking Products up top (if that makes any sense). There are (I see now) already two ways to switch family, but the sequence of clicks I made seemed to remove an option -- the one I had used.

clayville,

I wish that I knew how the popularity is figured.. All I do know is that is a field in which a integer is placed that determines the order that my search is performed. :-)

Thanks for the the info on the submenus, I will make some suggestions to the designers and see what we can do.

Also I know there has been some talk about branding the Search Images, so that brand can be determined by looking at the photo. I will check the status of this.

Thanks.

twelvenotes' date='

Thank you for the information.

If you would not mind give a couple search example that you find difficult to perform. (PM them if you want)

As we moved everything under one big tent, I know that some of the items became harder to find. Which is why examples will help me to try and add functionality that will help with this.

Discontinued model's, I know everyone wants to see them. I will keep you posted on what I can get done in this area.

Specs??? They are coming.

[/quote']

Narrow your search down to Les Paul's and seven pages come up. Scroll through a page or two and click on a guitar. Now back click and you're right back at the beginning of the Les Paul's having to click again to get to the second or third page of guitars.

I appreciate the fact that Gibson is looking for feedback to make things better. Good work and thanks!

The navigation on the website is really frustrating. For example, if you browse the Les Pauls, you have to go through all of the 6 pages to get to page six (each one takes ages to load). But once you get there, if you select, say a Les paul Special, have a look at it and then try and page back to page 6 , instead it takes you back to page 1 and you have to start all over again - and scroll through all the pages back to 6. I give up after a while.

Also, some of the links just dont work. One of the Les Paul or Junior links just takes you nowhere, so I am concerned that it hasnt been carefully tested.

Finally, I agree with the previous post, concerning ceased models. Suddenly a model you have been looking at and considering buying, just disappears. No explanation. A classic example is the Les Paul Faded Double Cutaway. It has just vanished - despite the fact that it is only a recent model release. Nobody in any of the stores seems to be able to tell me what has happened to this model, but you would expect that the site would be the major source of information. The drastic cut back in the color range for the LP Studio is another example.

Overall, the site has great potential to provide historical source information for the future - for both dealers , collectors and ultimately historians - particularly given the web is replacing written material - so I think Gibson should factor this into website design.

I hope this is useful and doesnt sound like a list of whinges. It is meant as constructive criticism.

Great feedback.. THANKS!!!.. We have already talked about the fact that you can't search for an item. Select the item, and then return to the page that you were looking at. This will be changing, to allow for this. I can not give and exact ETA, but soon. I will find out about the Les Paul Faded Double Cutaway and will let you know what I find.

Thank you for the help,

S

Yo Shadow...

First, the dark type on light background is great - and something too many web sites lose.

Second... RE: Gibson V. Epi - Yeah, perhaps separate by brand, then body styles. But on the Epi jump, perhaps note it's a Gibson brand with the highest possible quality import at a price point everybody can afford or something along those lines.

I mostly hit the forum, some lessons and stuff... although I sometimes wonder if the site is more directed to the teen-20 market than to the older musician who, pro, semi-pro, former pro or pure amateur, might better afford the Gibson brand. That's just a thought.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I think web sites inherently have become difficult to design as they grow almost exponentially. Getting a "common sense" jump is increasingly difficult. Getting pages to load in less than half an hour on cable modem and without ruining one's ears is increasingly difficult elsewhere. Finding a page you can read because of "artistic" but nonsensical design of dark background and almost-as-dark type is increasingly difficult.

So... the fact you're always willing to mess with design to make it easier for users, an effort at simplicity and ease of navigation that you care about improving... hey, that's what brings me back and makes me think "Gibson."

It's like guitar playing: When you think you're "there," you ain't. You're very good and obviously always trying to be better and that, my friend, is about the highest mark I can give anyone for anything.

Oh, yeah - as you can see by the avatar, I'm an old guy. I make my living in communications and my life on a six-string when I can...

I would have thought that the marketing gurus would have wanted to keep the Epi and Gibson lines on separate sites. Seems like a big mistake to me. Maybe it's a cost thing, but it seems a little short sighted to me. I own an Epi and a Gibson, and they're aimed at completely different markets.

I think of my Gibson as "This is the nicest guitar I'll ever have and I wanna be buried with it."

I think of my Epi as "I couldn't afford anything better and it's fine, but it's not the best. I'll play it until I get rich and can buy something better."

Just my thoughts.

Great feedback.. THANKS!!!.. We have already talked about the fact that you can't search for an item. Select the item' date=' and then return to the page that you were looking at. This will be changing, to allow for this. I can not give and exact ETA, but soon. I will find out about the Les Paul Faded Double Cutaway and will let you know what I find.

Thank you for the help,

S

[/quote']

Terrific Shadow. It is great that you are asking about it.

Regards,

I would have thought that the marketing gurus would have wanted to keep the Epi and Gibson lines on separate sites. Seems like a big mistake to me. Maybe it's a cost thing' date=' but it seems a little short sighted to me. I own an Epi and a Gibson, and they're aimed at completely different markets.

I think of my Gibson as "This is the nicest guitar I'll ever have and I wanna be buried with it."

I think of my Epi as "I couldn't afford anything better and it's fine, but it's not the best. I'll play it until I get rich and can buy something better."

Just my thoughts.

[/quote']

I agree with this 100%.... I've had two Epis, but traded both in for a Gibson, which is what I really wanted. Nothing against Epis - I liked both of the ones I owned, but they were no Gibsons, that's a face. They should not be marketed on the same website as Gibson. It waters down the Gibson brand.

I don't know if the intent was to sway people looking at Epiphones into Gibson territory, but honestly it's the wrong approach. It's almost insulting to Gibson owners. Again, not slamming Epiphone, but let's face it, a Gibson is a quality instrument that feels and plays as such - and you get what you pay for. An Epiphone is NOT a Gibson nor ever will be (Wilshire Reissue aside) - it's an oversees made instrument, and again, you get what you pay for.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I also would like to see the discontinued models on the new website.

I have an Apple computer and cannot open anything past the first page of any guitar selections. Is the site not Apple freindly or is anyone else having a problem. I could navigate fully on the old website.

it takes ages to look at all the guitars so maybe do something like the old page, like on the old page whatever guitar you were looking at, it said this on a drop down list, you could put this back on but names and small pics of the other guitars, hope you understand what i'm saying.

cheers shadow

Shadow,

Do not forget about the "Guitar Of The Month" pages either. They are totally gone. Also (just me) I liked the Robot guitars seperate on their own link and not mixed togethor - but here we go again, what mixes the best is subject to interpretation. The Robot microsite I thought was very well done but I can see that it took a lot of bandwidth to download. Good luck...........

Archived