Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson acoustic classic Nashville artist

mz-s

Sharing this here because I see a lot of folks sharing videos of them playing music in the classic Nashville/country western vein. The artist is Margo Price, and she released her debut record earlier this year on Third Man Records.

I got the record shortly after it came out and totally love it. I am a big fan of Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Tammy Wynette, among others - the classic Nashville country sound, and also other country artists like Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson. Of late, country music like this has been on the decline outside of the artists above mentioned that are still with us and touring/releasing new music. Incidentally, Loretta Lynn has released 2 new albums this year and both are awesome as well.

Anyway, back to Margo Price - she's risen in popularity a lot since her new album, and here's a 30-minute session she recorded with KEXP. Highly recommend you watch it, I think you'll like it:

If you don't want to commit to the full 30 minutes, you at least have to see her performance on SNL earlier this year of "Since You Put Me Down" -

What do you think?

A country artist that doesn't try to rap. How about that?.........I like her. She has one of those honky-tonk voices. Sounds kind of like Jeanne Pruett (who I think is still performing at The Opry). To me she kind of revives the sound of a by-gone era. Good stuff to my ears. The current day country "boy bands" wouldn't know what to do with a song that wasn't prepped with "auto-tune" and loud backing tracks............Love to have her guitar.

Decades ago, when beancounters were taking over Country, Willie and Waylon and friends took their toys to Austin and took control back. That domination lasted for a very long time. When control was finally regained and they were all kicked out, even Johnny Cash, it's been a steady downhill slide.

I've been hoping for a comeback for a long time, but, like "pop" music, some people simply like what they are told to like.

And so it goes......

Decades ago, when beancounters were taking over Country, Willie and Waylon and friends took their toys to Austin and took control back. That domination lasted for a very long time. When control was finally regained and they were all kicked out, even Johnny Cash, it's been a steady downhill slide.

I've been hoping for a comeback for a long time, but, like "pop" music, some people simply like what they are told to like.

And so it goes......

Austin doesn't seem decades ago, but it certainly was. And Outlaw Country was the best thing around for a load of reasons. A fresh revolution would be to my liking, too, and by definition another might be likely to come around - hope I'm around to experience it😐

Archived