Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage

Blue_Notes

I picked up a 2011 Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage today and I'm starting to have a few little doubts about its authenticity. I'm hoping its just paranoia.

Its looks and sounds amazing and the logo looks the real deal, the craftsmanship also looks top notch but just a few little things are bugging me. For instance the tuning pegs dont have Gibson Deluxe written on the back of them and the truss rod cover doesnt say Hummingbird. Did Gibson make this particular model without these details?

Also, there is a small black fabric velcro loop inside the guitar that seems to have no apparent use considering the guitar has no pickup. Im hoping someone can help me with this?

There's nothing obviously wrong from the pictures. Not all tuners used by Gibson say "Gibson Deluxe", and not all Hummingbird truss rod covers are engraved.

How about some close up photos of the back of the headstock and the label inside, as well as other details?

You got yourself a Bird. Nothing wrong with those tuners - go and check yourself. There are lots of head-stock close-ups to be found.

Only 'different' thing - as mentioned above - is the tr-cover. Unlike the nice one in Sal's thread and every other HB, it appears to be all black.

That's from the period before the Hummingbirds were born.

Never mind, see it as personality, , , or find a white edged version - they should be affordable.

Well, be glad, , , especially as the guitar hook you so well - and welcome to the voliere ^

The truss rod cover really doesn't mean anything. They crack easily when being reinstalled after a TR adjustment and they're cheap on ebay. The Velcro loop could have been a factory mistake in that they thought it was going to be a standard bird or maybe someone installed a pick up then removed it. It sure looks like the real deal and your reaction to playing it pretty much dispels any chance of it being a knock off.

Out of curiosity, did it come with a case? If so, is it tan with a pink interior?

Of course, the only way to tell for sure is to mail it to E-minor7 and he'll check it out out for you. Assuming it's authentic, he'll send it back without the Cali-Girl case and the strings (especially if they're a few years old) but at least you'll be able to sleep at night if he says it's real.

Congratulations on your new bird (and it's an elite one) and welcome to the family.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure its not a fake and as I said earlier I think I was just being a little paranoid about it. I've taken it to my luthier for a full set up as the action was a little high. It was hard to part with it but I know the few days without it will be worth it.

Archived