Gibson Brands Forums

what are you working on?

stumps

I try to learn a song a week, and sometimes the songs are pretty easy, just have to learn the words but the chord changes are easy. Sometimes the songs are hard and it means I'm adding some skill if I can learn them. This week I've got a bit of a challenge - I'm learning "I Will Follow You into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie - it sounds simple, but the chords are not the run of the mill progressions, so this is the first time I've hit these chords in this order and it's a challenge for me. The good news is that each time I play I'm getting better, hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have it down and I won't be flubbing any chords...

this got me thinking, what is everyone else working on? Anyone working on a tough song? a new technique?

I was thinking about this Puccini aria, Nesum Dorma (I think) but the chords are hard and it's real high. I think Pavorotti sang it. Anyway, I picked up this album titled, "UNDONE" which is a two disc album and it's a tribute to Robert Earl Keen. It starts out with Reckless Kelly singing "Think IT OVER ONE TIME' so I'm learning that. There is one called "LINVILLE TRAIN" that i'm starting to fool around with. There's some great acoustic players playin' and singing REK songs. I'd never heard of most of them and I'm finding some new talent to listen to. Check it out, you'll like it just for all the acoustic stuff on it. I listen to it when I'm driving then bring it in and listen inside, ha. I think I like it.

Well, I go on all sorts of weird little musical trips. Right now I'm working on I Wanna Be With You by the Raspberries..... I can do almost the entire song in bar chords and it's good practice for moving up and down the neck. I always seem to pick songs that are part enjoyment, part practice for skills acquisition. This is one of those.

Sitting On Top Of The World by Amanda Marshall. The song itself (chords) is easy enough, but coordinating the rhythm with the singing is challenging me.

Lastly, I'm playing Southside of Heaven by Ryan Bingham, mostly because I love it, but it's a 6 minute song and I'm trying to strengthen my left hand to hold the shapes for 6 minutes (he's anchoring his ring and baby finger on the C and G on the 2nd and 1st string throughout the song..... hand gets tired after about 2 1/2 minutes of that.) Again, this one's part enjoyment, part skill acquisition. In this case, just pure strength for my left hand.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure! :-)

hey there stumps - could you post a link to the tab you're working off of for that tune?

There are many out there' date=' could this be it?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/death_cab_for_cutie/i_will_follow_you_into_the_dark_crd.htm[/quote']

yeah, that's the chords, I usually type out the lyrics and put the chords over the actual lyric where it happens, alot of places don't have it right.. but that's it. What tripped me up big time was the Bb, because that's basically an "A" style bar chord on the first fret, and it's not all the comfortable, esp. going from F or directly into an F from that. I shouldn't whine, as it's making me a better player... but it's going to take practice for me to make it sound flawless on all the changes. The finger picking was a natural discovery for me, esp. if you have the tune in your head already. It will be a fun song to play, once I make it my own. Funny, left hand fatigue is not something I get a ton of, but by the time I start the 3rd verse on this song it's talkin' to me.

have fun... great to hear what everyone is working on, a nice way to spread some good ideas...

Just finished up an arrangement of Bessie Smith's "Electric Chair Blues."

I have started putzing with Blind Blake's "That Will Never Happen No More." Rev. Gary Davis wasn't lying when he said Blake had a real sportin' right hand.

In open tuning - for some fun worked out CCR's "Born on Bayou"- in Open E and played as a shuffle.

Slowly working up the nerve to finally sit down and take a stab at Curley Weaver's version of "Tricks Ain't Walking No More."

I watched Austin City Limits last night and saw Nick Lowe do a nice one-man-one-guitar version of "Peace, Love and Understanding" and woke up with it on my brain. So I spent the day working on that. Here's a Youtube version:

Nick Lowe

Just out of curiousity, are you guys real live gigging musicians? Me, no. Jams once in while.

Just out of curiousity' date=' are you guys real live gigging musicians? Me, no. Jams once in while.[/quote']

no...

have performed for money, but it's been many years. I do it for my own satisfaction, perhaps again but for now I'm a busy man, I can't see taking any more evenings away from my family. plus I'm still rubbing the rust off in spots

"Anji' date='" a la' Paul Simon, [/quote'] ..which he got off the late Davey Graham.

Wining Boy Blues - Jelly Roll Moron as played by Dave Bromberg

Shake Sugaree --Libby Cotten, also played by Bromberg

Dying Crapshooters Blues-- Willie McTell. His version and Paul Geremia.

btw Bromberg's Try Me One More Time is a wonderful cd. Solo acoustic, great picking and great singing.

Well' date=' I go on all sorts of weird little musical trips. Right now I'm working on I Wanna Be With You by the Raspberries..... I can do almost the entire song in bar chords and it's good practice for moving up and down the neck. I always seem to pick songs that are part enjoyment, part practice for skills acquisition. This is one of those.[/quote']

Ha! My musical soul mate, where have you been all my life, lol? I learned "I Wanna Be With You" this past summer and my daughter loved it, but my wife was like "are you ever going to play anything else?" What a great song. One that I started, but find to be a bigger challenge is "Go All the Way." Lots of crazy changes in that great song. Love the Raspberries! They are one of the premier Power Pop acts of all time.

Right now, I'm working up an acoustic version of a song by the Good Luck Joes called "The Middle of Me." It can be checked out here:

Ha! My musical soul mate' date=' where have you been all my life, lol? I learned "I Wanna Be With You" this past summer and my daughter loved it, but my wife was like "are you ever going to play anything else?" What a great song. One that I started, but find to be a bigger challenge is "Go All the Way." Lots of crazy changes in that great song. Love the Raspberries! They are one of the premier Power Pop acts of all time.

Right now, I'm working up an acoustic version of a song by the Good Luck Joes called "The Middle of Me." It can be checked out here:

[/quote']

Wow, that's amazing! I never would have dreamed someone else would be working on that song LOL I'll bet there's more of us closet Raspberries fans out there haha! Once I get a grip on IWBWY, I'll take a shot at Go All The Way. Thanks for the tip, Power!

I'm trying to put two songs together for my next open mic. "Into the Mystic" by Van' date=' and "Love in Vain" RJ version.....[/quote']

now dont get me wrong i love van morrison...he is a lot more soulful than people seem to give him credit for...

regardless my one and ONLY beef with him is that he mentions "gypsies" like every 2 songs...i dont know what his deal is with "gypsies" but it drives me nuts...if anyone on here is a gypsy first off i would be surprised...secondly i am not making fun of gypsies...i read somewhere technically they have been one of the most persecuted groups of people throughout modern history...im just saying let go of the gypsies van morrison...let them go

Wow' date=' that's amazing! I never would have dreamed someone else would be working on that song LOL I'll bet there's more of us closet Raspberries fans out there haha! Once I get a grip on IWBWY, I'll take a shot at Go All The Way. Thanks for the tip, Power![/quote']

I missed this tour, but they still sound pretty great, especially considering all the years that have passed:

regardless my one and ONLY beef with him is that he mentions "gypsies" like every 2 songs...i dont know what his deal is with "gypsies" but it drives me nuts...if anyone on here is a gypsy first off i would be surprised...secondly i am not making fun of gypsies...i read somewhere technically they have been one of the most persecuted groups of people throughout modern history...im just saying let go of the gypsies van morrison...let them go

I'm thinking that when you squat on private land' date=' have a habit of littering and stealing, and sometimes practice cultish social rules, you tend to draw a fair bit of persecution.

Having said that, I try and [i']only[/i] play songs about gypsies. I am only free when I sing of Gypsies.

I Understand that Van Morrison's mother's family were all gypsies, and that his dad had actually rescued her from an arranged marriage.

I'm thinking that when you squat on private land' date=' have a habit of littering and stealing, and sometimes practice cultish social rules, you tend to draw a fair bit of persecution.

Having said that, I try and [i']only[/i] play songs about gypsies. I am only free when I sing of Gypsies.

I Understand that Van Morrison's mother's family were all gypsies, and that his dad had actually rescued her from an arranged marriage.

well stumps...i never knew that!

that would make a lot of sense actually!

i need to start researching more before i start beefing with people!

thanks for setting me straight!

Archived