Gibson Brands Forums

The old man is gone

E-minor7

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .One of the godfathers ~ One of the greatest poets ~ Definitely the wisest

Mister Cohen ~ FB%20-%20Leonard%20C..jpg Thank you, Sir

. . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Somebody'd better go sit with FB; he might could use some company...😔

"There heroes in the seaweed

There are children in the morning

They are leaning out for love

And they will lean that way forever..."

Ah..Thanks Anne.Just been round talking to my brother and sister about him.Had a beer in his honor.

Loved his writing, his voice,the way he picked that nylon string and like EM7 said his wisdom.

Always been amused by people who say "oh gawd music to commit suicide by"..not at all..uplifting and plenty of subtle humor if you really listen.

Just hope it wasn't my recent cover of "Famous Blue raincoat" with the sharp E string that shuffled his mortal coil.

Terrible, uncanny news. I've been having a sincerely L. Cohen retrospective for the past week, trying to get my kids to appreciate him, and had been hoping that his recent statement about just waiting to die was not indicative of anything particular. Clearly not a man to make meaningless statements.

Sad news. Very talented man. I was often confused by some of his lyrics, but upon further reading they would sink in and I'd think "Wow!" It seems that it's often that way with the great ones. They kind of see things from a perspective that many haven't been honored with until one of them shows it to us.... Good human being too. "So Long Marianne" and "Bird on A Wire" are awesome, but so is "Hallelujah." Epic songs to me. His way of looking at love and the contradictions of life was really unique. Many people who simply hear his voice, but don't anything else about him, might wonder why he's trying to sing. To me, the thing about Cohen is that you had to know who he was and where he was coming from. He was not a singer, but he had an amazing and poignant way of saying things in a song that sounded incredibly human. Very unique individual. Maybe even more unique than people like Dylan, Cash, Springsteen, and a few others.

Lately, I believe he'd commented about his failing health and being near the end and that he was in a hurry to finish his latest album. Another giant that walked the earth when we did.

Archived