Gibson Brands Forums

Why don't boutique g's hold value?

JuanCarlosVejar

Bo,

Ok since you have experience owning factory and boutique here is a question:

In your opinion why would someone buy a boutique guitar, play it for a while and then trade it in? I am left handed and at lefty online guitar shops I often see people buy boutique guitars and within a few months they are up for sale again ,these are suppossed to be tonally outstanding instrument that you would never want to part with (that's the theory behind the boutique guitars at least) so I am kind of baffled when I see so much used santa cruz,collings,etc ... And the only thing that comes to mind is ..."They returned or traded it in because they did not love the sound"

What is your take on this?

JC

JC,

My take on this is that people trade in guitars of all makes and models. I don't see an inordinate number of used boutique guitars in the stores in my local area. I don't have numbers, but I would never have guessed that boutiques are traded in more often than other standard brands of guitars. Nor would I think they are traded in any less often. We have all traded in guitars. Or at least most of us have. I have traded, or sold guitars of various makes and models over the years for all kinds of reasons. Most of which had more to do with fit and feel than sound.

Bo

JC,

My take on this is that people trade in guitars of all makes and models. I don't see an inordinate number of used boutique guitars in the stores in my local area. I don't have numbers, but I would never have guessed that boutiques are traded in more often than other standard brands of guitars. Nor would I think they are traded in any less often. We have all traded in guitars. Or at least most of us have. I have traded, or sold guitars of various makes and models over the years for all kinds of reasons. Most of which had more to do with fit and feel than sound.

Bo

You're right. They don't trade or consign them in stores. They go to AGF where they do it. They spend all day arguing and griping over the most insignificant little details and specs of their boutique guitars, probably don't play them much, then get tired of them for whatever reason only to put them up for sale or trade on that site only to move onto the the next latest, greatest boutique creation that they think will change their world. I don't even know if many of those guys even play their guitars.

are people really saying that a mass produced factory gibson is equal to or better than a hand built boutique maker? I gotta disagree, read some posts on this forum re quality of current gibbys ...j, a gibson lover

Bo,

Ok since you have experience owning factory and boutique here is a question:

In your opinion why would someone buy a boutique guitar, play it for a while and then trade it in? ..<snip>...What is your take on this?

Some guys just like to try the newest flavor of guitar. They buy and sell often. For me, spending $2500 on a guitar is a big deal. For other guys spending $5000 is not a big deal. To each their own

You're right. They don't trade or consign them in stores. They go to AGF where they do it. They spend all day arguing and griping over the most insignificant little details and specs of their boutique guitars, probably don't play them much, then get tired of them for whatever reason only to put them up for sale or trade on that site only to move onto the the next latest, greatest boutique creation that they think will change their world. I don't even know if many of those guys even play their guitars.

An interesting point, to me at least, about guys who think a different guitar is going to change their world. Now that's something I have pondered over the years and didn't imagine would have occurred to anyone else. At least I've not heard or read the notion previously. Observations I've made: some of us play and enjoy multiple guitars, and will add to the stable when possible if we can afford another that calls our name. Now and then we'll snag a really good deal with the intention of using that instrument to create more cash for a future 'keeper'. Once in a while, we're surprised and the item becomes a 'keeper' instead. All that makes sense to me, but then there's another approach that doesn't. That's when someone lays out top dollar for an instrument with some kind of notion that it's going to magically make them A) Someone who actually PLAYS the thing and/or B) Someone who becomes a truly MONSTER player overnight. They blame the instrument when that doesn't happen, b!tch about tiny flaws and imperfections which it probably doesn't really have or which in no way detract from the guitar's viability if it does, cry over losing money when they offload it, buy yet another beyond top dollar instrument, and commence to repeat the entire cycle. It's not that they grow beyond a particular instrument, but rather that they somehow lack the capacity to grow into one.

All that makes sense to me, but then there's another approach that doesn't. That's when someone lays out top dollar for an instrument with some kind of notion that it's going to magically make them A) Someone who actually PLAYS the thing and/or B) Someone who becomes a truly MONSTER player overnight.

You are saying this isn't true??? Well, that's just great. <_<

In all seriousness and only speaking from my own experience, a really great sounding and playing guitar does make me want to play and practice more. As for making me play better, I'm a 62 y/o Professional Journeyman Musician and feel like my abilities reached a plateau quite a long time ago...and I'm cool with that. B)

... All that makes sense to me, but then there's another approach that doesn't. That's when someone lays out top dollar for an instrument with some kind of notion that it's going to magically make them A) Someone who actually PLAYS the thing and/or B) Someone who becomes a truly MONSTER player overnight. They blame the instrument when that doesn't happen, b!tch about tiny flaws and imperfections which it probably doesn't really have or which in no way detract from the guitar's viability if it does, cry over losing money when they offload it, buy yet another beyond top dollar instrument, and commence to repeat the entire cycle. It's not that they grow beyond a particular instrument, but rather that they somehow lack the capacity to grow into one.

Well, isn't it nice to have a scapegoat? And the costlier, the handier for posing oneself as the tragic victim of carelessness and deceit!

Ah, hell, guys, I hit my 'level of incompetence' long ago. No illusions or delusions. Also tend to spend more time with the latest 'find', assuming there is one. Now and then it even seems like there's improvement, but I'm for sure bonded with my guitars.

Just wondering: if I ever manage to score an original SJ like Woody's, do you suppose it'd help me subdue a few fascists?😒

My guitar juices got flowing in the '70s with Guild, Gibson, & Martin. Since then, I've always preferred having a rather large number of reasonably priced instruments from this primary group, both for quick salability if something new comes along that's too good to resist, and for the stimulation that comes with hearing things differently from instrument to instrument.

This formula has made it easy to work trades, and many nice guitars have passed through my hands over the years - each bringing a new experience & greater knowledge. Having a significant number of moderately priced instruments creates options. Whereas it seems that in most cases, one large investment only leaves a narrow path, and you'll quite possibly take a larger hit if you want to let it go quickly.

Gibson, and Martin, and Guild - OH MY! Although I don't view any of the above as especially moderate in price these days, my heart still considers them to be the big three. Started being seriously addicted in the 1970's as well, and would really like to bond permanently with a Martin before - well, you know.... Have owned more than my share, but none I've managed to keep - so far.

are people really saying that a mass produced factory gibson is equal to or better than a hand built boutique maker? I gotta disagree, read some posts on this forum re quality of current gibbys ...j, a gibson lover

I don't think people are saying that Gibsons are better or are on par as far as the extreme attention to detail , but to many of us they are..."good enough" (see what I did there?!) For me it's a point of diminishing returns. Kind of like cars. Sure I could afford a more expensive car, but why if my Subaru does everything I want it to and then some. I mean, it's not a cheap car, but it's not extravagant by any means but still no slouch. Plus, just because a guitar is more expensive than another doesn't mean it's necessarily "better".

Just do what makes you happy. If you want to buy cheap cars and boutique guitars go for it. If you have the means to buy luxury and boutique in all areas of your life and it makes you happy, but all means good on you! I do think there also is a group of people who become instant haters toward those who can afford boutique guitars (I personally can't afford them!).

Can't afford 'em, either. Don't hate or envy boutique buyers, though. Tend to have a strong aversion to types who attribute their personal inabilities to perfectly viable instruments, whatever the cost. Lots of fine musicians learned on - well, junk. And the hard work it takes is a firm reality, no matter what kind of guitar a person has. A sincere person playing any kind of guitar impresses me a lot more than a perpetual poser playing the most expensive axe he can find.

Archived