Gibson Brands Forums

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

saturn

I didn't "just get in" but played gig last night. It was first gig using my new PRS. I was plugged straight into PA (through Morley multiFX)  so I didn't really get the full experience of playing through a nice tube amp.  But it played and sounded great. Think I'll keep it. 😎

Edited by saturn
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, saturn said:

Played our last gig of 2023 tonight. New Years Eve Eve.  Great night that ended in a two-man Free Bird jam.  😎 See ya next year.

Mighty fine.

I haven't gigged much this year, I do a weekly acoustic jam with some "old" guys that is a hoot, but am happy to be sitting at the house this New Years eve.

Best to ya, Saturn.

• 2 months later...

Played the first full band gig of 2024 tonight. Also the first gig playing my new PRS through an amp, not just straight into PA.

Also the first gig we played at this venue. Place called B.C. Brewery. Huge stage, lot's of space inside and place was packed. Another guitar player, who has filled in for me several times in the past, was there and sat in on several songs.  No photos but here's the Set List with a few "new" songs added,  

kDuDt2x.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice one Saturn - yeah, I spose its time to get 2024 kicked off....last Friday night pub gig. It was ok - not great, not bad. The 2 opening acts were cool and interesting but not particularly high energy...I prefer to come on after some high energy (or even before some) just to get the blood flowing and the crowd up, but hey, our peers would have been home watching some cr@p on tv or checking their finances or whatever they do rather than this, so its all good eh!   [thumbup]

May be an image of 4 people and guitar

• Like 2

Last night - First gig in quite a while. Outside condo pool deck right on the Gulf of Mexico. Temperature was pretty nice with a good breeze off the water but the humidity was murder. Had to retune between almost every song. 
Got another one next week - forecast indicates almost exactly the same conditions. 
Anyone got any suggestions??? 
That was the worst it’s ever been out there!!! 

Edited by B.T.

6 hours ago, B.T. said:

Last night - First gig in quite a while. Outside condo pool deck right on the Gulf of Mexico. Temperature was pretty nice with a good breeze off the water but the humidity was murder. Had to retune between almost every song. 
Got another one next week - forecast indicates almost exactly the same conditions. 
Anyone got any suggestions??? 
That was the worst it’s ever been out there!!! 

Congratz on the gig. Hope the next one goes well. I don't what to advise on the humidity. I've played some gigs like that too. There's just no escaping it. 

2 hours ago, saturn said:

Congratz on the gig. Hope the next one goes well. I don't what to advise on the humidity. I've played some gigs like that too. There's just no escaping it. 

Thanks Saturn - It frustrates the heck out of me but the folks there were all visiting, seemingly enjoying the music and didn’t appear to mind at all.  
A good bunch! 

Well - 11:00 Thursday evening. Just got in from the second gig out on the water in a week. This one was entirely different!! Low humidity, mild breeze off the water, mid 70's, beautiful evening and an absolutely great crowd! Man! It doesn't get much better than that! I couldn't have asked for a more fun evening!! (Everything went well - sound was great and the guitars even stayed in tune this time around!!)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever I played with my full band, it was a bout a 50/50 chance I'd cross the Key Bridge to get to my gig. That will no longer be an option.

When I play with my buddy Steve, there's about a 50/50 chance I drive over another iconic bridge in Maryland, The Chesapeake Bay Bridge. That was the case tonight. The bridge was backed up with beach traffic tonight, so it took me about an hour and a half to get there. I couldn't help but looking over the water to see if any huge ships were crossing under. There weren't any. 😬

Once I got there, it was a pretty routine gig. Nice crowd. We played well. Nothing too memorable, other than the sort of ominous feeling upon approaching the Bay Bridge after witnessing the footage of the Key Bridge collapse. Kinda like the way airplanes appeared ominous for the first few weeks after 9/11.  The drive home was much quicker with little traffic.

Here is an older photo of the Bay Bridge taken from the spot of another gig a few years ago.

QhoGVeh.jpg