Gibson Brands Forums

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

saturn

Played our monthly show at Mt Branch Golf Course tonight. I didn't have much time to go over material since I got home from Delfest on Monday and was wiped out from 4 days of music, partying and camping.  But I managed to fudge my way through everything. Also, we lost our sound guy, so we  had to run everything ourselves.  Our bass player works for a sound company, so he can do everything, it's just hard to run sound and play bass. He has wireless so he can walk out front and check.

The weather was perfect and crowd great, even by this place's standards. And I don't think I've ever been happier with my rig sound. After getting my PRS amp fixed at the factory, it sounds better than before. Plus that new Morley pedal is working fantastic. The band even tells me how much better it sounds. 

I had gigs lined up for Thursday, Friday and Saturday  (band, acoustic, band), but I bowed out of Friday's acoustic gig and our our friend Quinny is doing it in my place. 

I don't have photo from gig, but here we are at Delfest. Steve, the one taking photo, and Quinny next to him, are two guys who are playing Friday without me. The other guy is Mark, a buddy of ours. 

j9OnQOe.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK. It's been almost 2 months since this thread has had action.

Just got back from a gig at a MD winery called Basignani. A beautiful area north of Baltimore called Sparks.  We play there about 2 times every year. We almost thought it was going to be canceled due to bad storms, but weather cleared up. Since we had to wait for storm to pass, we were late setting up and started about 30 minutes late. The humidity was unbearable during set-up. I was drenched in sweat before we played a note. Then the temp dropped and we had a breeze and the humidity declined as we played. But by the time we were breaking down there was no breeze and it was more muggy than ever. 🥵 

But it was a sold out night despite the weather. People pay $10 to get in, and can bring their own chairs or blankets to sit on and their own food, or buy hand made brick oven pizzas there. They sell bottles of wine and people drink them right on the grass or in under pavilion which is off to the side.  Lots of people dancing on the grass right in front of us.

It was an awesome night!  My band is called Sagamore Band, so I will have some Sagamore Rye before retiring for the night. [cool]

• 3 weeks later...

Got in about 11;30 from band gig tonight at a bar on the bay in East Baltimore. Beautiful venue and great crowd. Lots of dancers, young and older. Even had some ladies come up and play tambourines with us.  

I was having an issue in the first set with my amp getting a booming feedback when I used high gain. Even if I muted the strings, it would still this weird, low pitched feedback  After talking to our bass player/sound guy, he said he had some of my mic'd guitar amp coming through my monitor and he could take that out if I wanted. I said yes please. I can hear my amp directly, I don't need it in monitor. That solved the problem, and 2nd and 3rd sets were fine. 

BTW. What happened to the Pinned thread of our rehearsal/gig footage?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great gig tonight with the full band. It was a beautiful night on the Columbia Lakeside.  The load in/out was a PITA but the crowd was awesome and we sounded really good. 

Since my wife actually got some footage of us (me) for once and since that other thread went away, I'll post a clip here. If I had known my voice was so prominent , I would have been more self conscious. I'm no singer.  From where I stood, my vocal was more buried in the mix.  

• Like 2

Just getting home from a duo gig at another Rams Head bar. Great night and great crowd. Had a friend from back in the day come out too. So this bar has TV's all over.  While we are playing, I'm watching 3 different screens. One has Orioles beating the Red Sox.  Another has the US Open Tennis tournament and another screen had Chive TV.     It's hard to keep track of what you're supposed to be playing, when you're also watching 3 TV's    

• Like 1

Played a high school reunion tonight. Classes 1965-1985. Beautiful outdoor venue at an Equestrian Center in Harford County Md. Weather was perfect.  Probably 700 people there. Another band played before us and they were very good. I think most of that band also went to this high school because they seemed to know many of the guests and they stuck around after they were finished playing.  It was a fun gig, we played well and the people enjoyed it.  

I actually played 3 gigs this week, Thursday, Friday (acoustic) and tonight. Now I'm gonna pour a little tequila, watch Orioles highlights and then go to bed, then enjoy  Sunday watching The Ravens. 

• Like 2

Got in late this afternoon from an all-day gig at an outdoor sporting event.

Shared the stage with another band, and traded sets.
A lot of fun, but a LOT of work.
It was a Thursday afternoon load-in and set-up, and an all day Friday playing affair.
We  combined forces with the other band, re; PA gear and mixers.
Which brings its own degree of pain, trust me.

Our drummer girl Heather played for the first time ever in front of hundreds of people.
And she did just great!

A few  hours after arriving home, I finally got everything put away and the guitars polished and hung up.
😙

Tl19hKK.jpg

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Got in late this afternoon from an all-day gig at an outdoor sporting event.

Shared the stage with another band, and traded sets.
A lot of fun, but a LOT of work.
It was a Thursday afternoon load-in and set-up, and an all day Friday playing affair.
We  combined forces with the other band, re; PA gear and mixers.
Which brings its own degree of pain, trust me.

Our drummer girl Heather played for the first time ever in front of hundreds of people.
And she did just great!

A few  hours after arriving home, I finally got everything put away and the guitars polished and hung up.
😙

Tl19hKK.jpg

Congrats to Heather for nailing her first big audience show, and to you and the rest of the band for a successful gig!  I can only imagine the head aches associated with PA/mixer/etc. sharing. Weather looked great for the show, btw!

PS  - My daughter just got accepted into The University of Alabama's Aerospace Engineering program. ROLL TIDE!

Edited by Sheepdog1969
clarification
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Congrats to Heather for nailing her first big audience show, and to you and the rest of the band for a successful gig!  I can only imagine the head aches associated with PA/mixer/etc. sharing. Weather looked great for the show, btw!

PS  - My daughter just got accepted into The University of Alabama's Aerospace Engineering program. ROLL TIDE!

The weather was indeed great.
60 degrees F when we arrived to the river on Friday morning at 06:45 am, but a toasty 85 degrees when we loaded out in the afternoon at 3:00 pm.

Yeah, Heather was stoked. And her entire family came out at one point to see her play.
They sat out on the grass in lawn chairs, under a pop-up awning that we had set up for them.

Say, do PM me, reference the Alabama-bound daughter.
The Redstone Test Center (the place I just retired from, and the host agency for the big sports fest gig we played yesterday) would be a great place for her to apply for meaningful employment some day.
AND they like to bring engineering students in as paid interns during the summer months.
I would like to assist in getting you guys linked up with the chief engineers who manage the internships.
Most of the intern hires end up coming to RTC to work after they graduate.

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

That's impressive! [thumbup]

Heh heh.
The Test Center had one of their logistics guys camp out there on Thursday evening to guard all the equipment and gear.
All of our amps, mic stands, PA heads and mixers were there under tarps, and there were fest tents, tables, chairs, trophies, ice chests, and a variety of support gear that had to be watched over.

A very peaceable and beautiful place to camp out, I reckon.

5080662c66210.image.jpg

5051816834_e19c5f9bd9_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Friday night Tavern Gig.  I love playing here.  The room is not easy to mix, the section people play in has a cathedral ceiling which drops to an 8foot flat ceiling towards the back. 

I have two Bose S1s on poles left and right of me, my board is behind me.  The S1s do a great job filling this room.

Good night too.  Room was full from the start (about 30 people).    6 to 9, home by 10!  at may age, that's a winnah!

c9YwngX.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kidblast said:

Friday night Tavern Gig.  I love playing here.  The room is not easy to mix, the section people play in has a cathedral ceiling which drops to an 8foot flat ceiling towards the back. 

I have two Bose S1s on poles left and right of me, my board is behind me.  The S1s do a great job filling this room.

Good night too.  Room was full from the start (about 30 people).    6 to 9, home by 10!  at may age, that's a winnah!

c9YwngX.png

Excellent!

Doesn't get any better than that.

😃

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Excellent!

Doesn't get any better than that.

😃

A big plus is the people there are fantastic to work for. 

50 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Many congrats @sparquelito and @kidblast.

I've only done 2 gigsd this year so am envious - want to get out there again.

Spark - that must have been a marathon....6.45 A.M?

[thumbup]

it's good to get yourself out there, sometimes it's a bit of work to get a rotation happening.  But it's worth it if you enjoy doing it.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

Many congrats @sparquelito and @kidblast.

I've only done 2 gigsd this year so am envious - want to get out there again.

Spark - that must have been a marathon....6.45 A.M?

[thumbup]

Thanks, man.

I wake up by 4:00 am every day of the week, seven days a week.

Wish I could sleep in, but I can't.
My body clock is a sadist.

The 06:45 show time was to finalize the set-up and get everything ready for a 08:30 start time.
🥲

Edited by sparquelito

22 hours ago, kidblast said:

c9YwngX.png

beautiful guitar. I have the poor man's Epiphone version, lol. 

On 9/30/2023 at 10:51 PM, surfpup said:

Car show.... 4 hours.... 4 sets..... tired. I'm too old for this. But it was fun. Decent weather...  and playing outside no one complains about you being loud.

Man do I know that feeling.  played a gig in Easton, Md. Friday night, got home & in bed around 3, Saturday night gig on Hooper's Island, Md. on the Chesapeake Bay. beautiful spot, and gig was just 6 to 10 but an hour dr. I laid around like a slug all day Sunday. I don't bounce back like I used to. I don't bounce at all anymore ...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow so by random I was wondering if these forums were still around; it's been a long long time since I posted anything. Last gigs for Sept 29th for one band and Oct 6 for the other band. That's it for the year it seems but between the two bands we did a fair amount of shows this year. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, djroge1 said:

That's it for the year it seems but between the two bands we did a fair amount of shows this year. 

Ah, that's cool to hear you've been seeing plenty of action. I think we've had 4 gigs this year [laugh]...but there's still time!

I found a quick video grab from one couple weeks back: 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxxiv2Fh2E0/

• Upvote 1

Had a private party gig tonight. It was at the community center of a nice neighborhood up in Havre de Grace Maryland. 

Gig went very well, but drive home was about the worst, most stressful drives home I remember. Almost an hour on I95 South, with a misty rain and low visibility. My windows kept fogging up and I could barely see the lines in the road. But I obviously got home OK or I wouldn't be posting here. [smile]   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Friday 24 Nov; just got in from my 1st gig in ages and only my 3rd this year.

I got called for this one last week -  jazz duo, me backing my sax player friend who I've known for many years, an hour set playing at a reception before a charity dinner in a huge posh hotel.  The Elvetham Hotel in Fleet, Hampshire UK is an old country estate with a massive mansion and adjoining church which is now an hotel and wedding venue.   I walked through a reception room in this hotel which is larger and higher than my entire house and has the complete legend of King Arthur written/painted in illuminated script on the ceiling.

I love playing duo with a sax on standards, and consider myself very lucky indeed to be able to play with this guy.   First time we've done it since 2018.  I had to wood the shed all week and I'm pleased to say I got my technique back up despite my fretting hand problem (Duyputrens Contracture).  I made plenty of goofs (mostly because I was looking at pretty ladies not my chart) but no-one was listening too closely, in fact I couldn't hear much guitar myself because of the noise of the reception. 

Goofs - just recover and get back in time and on the right chord ASAP....I've had a lot of practice at it..[wink]

I didn't even take my valve amp but played through a powered wedge monitor; transistor, vol, treble and bass.  It was pointing at the sax player not me...didn't need reverb.  I played my best jazz guitar, a big long-scale shallow Knight archtop with original Schecter Z Plus pickups.

As it was only an hour I was back home by 9pm.  A plate of hot battered onion rings and a bottle of Abbaye De Vauclair Belgian Amber beer.  Good gig, happy evening and a great start to the weekend.  The big guitar is back in its case and I've got my ES 139 out to review some of the charts.   I really dig chords with walking bass; maximum swing to bop!   

NKnight2.jpg

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just got done unloading and unpacking from a gig.
Spend most of yesterday loading in and sound-checking, and all day today playing a large Christmas party (350 to 500 people, at various times, in a huge aviation hangar) and then loading out.

Sore as a runned-over dog.

I'm 64.
Is everything supposed to hurt this bad?

🫤

Post script.
I did save a lot of wear and tear on my back by leaving the amp and Shure 57 at home.

Pedal board directly into the PA mixer.
*boom*  Easy money.

christmas-gig-2023-jpg.1194017

Edited by sparquelito