Gibson Brands Forums

Hanging up guitars

KingMetalHeart

I've read articles that hanging guitars up could be potentially bad,I was wondering about some of your thoughts on this topic,and I see various wall hangers that are independently made for only one guitar at a time,I see that professional music stores carry a slat board style or type that looks much nicer,one could virtually hang the guitars in any random order by sliding the neck grips in along the slot and be able to space them nicely.

I'm just not sure if I would want my Gibsons hanging on a wall and out of thier cases but they do seem to be lonely and "vegging out" in the coffins they came with, and might be played a little more often if they were immediately accessible.

Can anyone shed some light for me and if it is not a bad idea to hang them can anyone help with where I might be able to find these slatboard style interlocking wall devices?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Hey KMH,

I have heard both sides on the hanging the guitar issue. I think its ok to hang them if:

-You do not hang them on a wall to the outside meaning an internal wall would be better, especially in the winter months.

-You don't hang them over a heat source, vent or baseboard heat.

-You don't hang them where they would be subjected to direct sunlight.

-Your home has good humidity levels all year long.

I have hung one Martin on a "String Swing" https://www.stringswing.com/products/product_info.php?product_id=41 hanger for almost 10 years with no effect. I also have a violin (the wife's) on one, never had any problem.

My LP stays out of its case in a big soft chair that is close to my lazy-boy. I just lean over and grab it. I like having my guitars out and I keep the temp and humidity in my home at around 70 degrees and 40%-50% humidity year around. So far, no problems.

The LP does weigh more than the Martin, I don't know right off hand what the weight capacity for the string swing would be.

I have a couple of Hercules hangers in my music room but have never hung my LP up there - even for a second. That said, virtually every guitar shop hangs its guitars indefinitely - from cheapos to upscale LPs and PRS's (as well as upscale acoustics).

Hey KMH' date='

I have heard both sides on the hanging the guitar issue. I think its ok to hang them if:

-You do not hang them on a wall to the outside meaning an internal wall would be better, especially in the winter months.

-You don't hang them over a heat source, vent or baseboard heat.

-You don't hang them where they would be subjected to direct sunlight.

-Your home has good humidity levels all year long.

I have hung one Martin on a "String Swing" https://www.stringswing.com/products/product_info.php?product_id=41 hanger for almost 10 years with no effect. I also have a violin (the wife's) on one, never had any problem.

My LP stays out of its case in a big soft chair that is close to my lazy-boy. I just lean over and grab it. I like having my guitars out and I keep the temp and humidity in my home at around 70 degrees and 40%-50% humidity year around. So far, no problems.

The LP does weigh more than the Martin, I don't know right off hand what the weight capacity for the string swing would be.[/quote']

Thanks for the advice PMC,The articles that I have read also indicated your points,heat is the worst thing when it comes to guitars and as far as the humidity I agree that it needs to be controlled,I pull mine out of my cases and play them every so often,but I just thought that hanging them might make it easier for me,but Oilpit has a good point as well,why chance it?

Acoustics are one thing(weight is less) but I fear that leaving the solid bodies hanging might cause a warped neck,but not sure about that though.

Thanks for the link,I just see so many hanging in music stores and haven't really delved into considering it yet.

I'll have to invest in a humidor for the place as well if I decide to try my luck,I was thinking of just hanging my not so cherished non gibbys for expermentation but I compare it to the Old Yeller syndrome...

virtually every guitar shop hangs its guitars indefinitely.

And there's a nice G0 on the wall at Guitar Center in Brooklyn where you can see two pinkish discoloration spots under the ears of the headstock where it's been hanging on their hangers. Then again my mother came over to the house recently and said, "you should hang these on the wall they're all so pretty." So who am I to argue.

you can't warp the neck by hanging it. when will this myth ever die? each string puts more tension on the neck than the weight of the entire guitar. the neck can't tell what orientation it's in.

the real problems come if you hang it on a hanger that is a bad material for the nitro, they are easier to knock off of a wall, guests feel free to play them, temp/ humidity, and sunlight.

oh, and you have to dust them.

warping the neck won't happen though.

you can't warp the neck by hanging it. when will this myth ever die?

I was about to chime in when I saw modoc already set things straight. A set of .010"s exerts a little over 100lbs of tension on a guitar's neck. So basically, you have 100lbs pulling the headstock towards the bridge and if you hang it, there's anywhere from 7 to 10lbs pulling the headstock away from the bridge. That's a net result of just over 90lbs. It's the equivalent of putting .009"s on your guitar.

Surely hanging the guitar puts pressure on the joint where the neck joins with the body, regardless of whether it is bolt on or glued in? Every carpenter will to you that a piece of furniture's weakest link is the joints. I've even heard of bolt on Fender necks getting loose over years of use.

I have a rule. I leave my more precious guitars in their cases. I leave a few less precious ones out - or ones I am prepared to have the wear and tear show - otherwise I would probably play the guitar 50% less time.

Hell, I will grab a guitar if I only have 5 minutes in the morning before going to work. I couldnt do that if I had to get guitar cases out of cupboards etc.

But no hanging on the wall for me.......

I hang lot's of guitars in my studio it makes them easy to get to when needed and looks good, the rules earlier are correct don't hang them in direct sunlight or where a heater vent blows directly on them other than that there perfect. there is several hundred pounds of pressure on the strings the 10 lb. weight of a guitar won't effect it.

I've had guitars fall off stands, knocked over on stage, fallen off of furniture hell I even stuck one in a cieling fan on stage one night but with all that I've never seen one fall from a wall hook.

Well it looks like there are mixed feelings on this issue,I have always mantained that the best way to keep a guitar in the best shape is to keep it in it's case after a wipe down once played,I have never had any issues with this.

Again I thank you all for you words and thoughts on this matter.

It's good to know that certain methods can be practiced by so many that seem to know how to acheive the best results.

Archived