Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson knobs question

Revolution Six

• 1 month later...

Most people I talk to like the knobs that look like the sixties knobs better than the ones that have been coming with the guitars for the past ten years or so. I bought replacements for several of my guitars also.

Have the replacement knobs made you a better guitar player or made the guitar sound better?

People.. stop fretting about the type face on the knobs and learn to play m7b5 chord!

I can't play my guitar until I find replacement knobs with the molded-in writing on the underside of the knob that matches what they made in the sixties! The volume is just not the same.

msp_flapper.gif

Yeah, honestly, I am picky about a guitar looking the way I want and I don't knock anyone else's opinions on this. If the type-setting of text on a knob bothers you, then find or make the ones you really want. I am picky about some things more than others, even if it is only looks, like hardware color (e.g. black chrome, black nickel, ruthenium, smoked chrome, true black (with lead, please), etc.).

I too have noticed the difference in the knob quality in the last 10+ years..

Would almost guarantee the new ones are made in china..

As far as TONE goes, A pretty knob is a good knob..

I used several of these SG knob sets on Hawks, Nighthawks & Blueshawks that we own..

ROCK ON!! Gary/Hk

Truer words were never spoken, FZ Fan.

I've always been partial to the REAL Norlin era speed knobs as the epitomized the ultimate in TONE control on an SG, especially when run through a Marshall stack.

You do realize your avatar is a tone knob right? as in the very tone knob this thread is about.

Archived