Gibson Brands Forums

Last one, I promise..."When the Roses Bloom Again"

sbpark

Here's a another cover. This one is a cover of Wlco's version of Woody Guthrie's "When the Roses Bloom Again. I actually think this song has been around in one form or another even before Woody Guthrie. (btw, the breathing in the beginning and at the end is my dog on the other side of the room, not me!)

Here's a another cover. This one is a cover of Wlco's version of Woody Guthrie's "When the Roses Bloom Again. I actually think this song has been around in one form or another even before Woody Guthrie. (btw, the breathing in the beginning and at the end is my dog on the other side of the room, not me!)

Congratulations on a really nice version of a song that goes back well past Woody Guthrie. For another excellent performance of it

give a listen to Ricky Skaggs and Berry Gibbs doing it on their UTube video.

Regards,

Moose

Excellent recording. There are a lot of good renditions of this old song out there and yours is one of them. It's tough to beat a rendition done with a good vocal and guitar. Your version is very real. Good, good job. You're easy-on-the-ears................This song is another one of those old traditional tunes that has a long and at times mysterious history. Various sets of lyrics and melodies. Laura Cantrell does a really sweet version of it also. She says she had a set of lyrics and couldn't find who wrote them and there was no melody. So, she used the lyrics and added her own melody. Her lyrics (or something very similar) came from around 1876. Most versions mention war (a couple speak of making moonshine and tax collectors) and The American Civil War is thought to be the war because of the reference to the "blue coat" and the grammer. Some believe it was The Spanish-American War. The first known recordings of the song are from 1902-1903.

I'd like to hear more of your stuff. Keep singing and playing. BTW, what kind of guitar are you playing? Sounds good.

Very nice recording SB!! You say you have some pitch issues? Well not that I can hear, but that's not saying that everyone doesn't have some pitch issues. I struggle with pitch myself, but I guess we all learn where our limits are and what songs we can sing and what we cant.

Superb! You got a very laid-back and cool sound. I like your style a lot. Do you gig? If not, you should. I would pay to hear this kind of stuff played live.

Lars

I've only ever played in bands, but only playing guitar guitar, never solo, and never sing. Still pretty terrified to do so by myself.

Excellent recording. There are a lot of good renditions of this old song out there and yours is one of them. It's tough to beat a rendition done with a good vocal and guitar. Your version is very real. Good, good job. You're easy-on-the-ears................This song is another one of those old traditional tunes that has a long and at times mysterious history. Various sets of lyrics and melodies. Laura Cantrell does a really sweet version of it also. She says she had a set of lyrics and couldn't find who wrote them and there was no melody. So, she used the lyrics and added her own melody. Her lyrics (or something very similar) came from around 1876. Most versions mention war (a couple speak of making moonshine and tax collectors) and The American Civil War is thought to be the war because of the reference to the "blue coat" and the grammer. Some believe it was The Spanish-American War. The first known recordings of the song are from 1902-1903.

I'd like to hear more of your stuff. Keep singing and playing. BTW, what kind of guitar are you playing? Sounds good.

Thanks for all the info and kind words! I'm playing a Martin 000-15M mahogany top, back and sides). Figured it was fitting because of Woody Guthrie. I usually play an AJ though.

Archived