Gibson Brands Forums

Jason Isbell cover "Cover Me Up"

sbpark

Nice job on a great song. I was wondering about the same thing themisal speaks to. Your delivery is very understated, vs. JI lets it rip in select spots on the original. Is that a conscious choice by you? Nice guitar work, too, very clean. Thanks!

Nice job on a great song. I was wondering about the same thing themisal speaks to. Your delivery is very understated, vs. JI lets it rip in select spots on the original. Is that a conscious choice by you? Nice guitar work, too, very clean. Thanks!

I don't belt it out on that part simply because I can't do that yet! My voice isn't very powerful, but just started lessons yesterday, so hoping to get much better with better range and pitch over time!

I think the song is boring save for the dynamics he can add with the power vox in parts.

Don't fear it. Belt it. Practice it. It makes certain parts of the song grab the audience bing bing boom, and then collectively come down with you when you descend.

My opinion...

Agree 100%.

I kind of like that laid back attittude you bring to the song. I don't mind the lack of dynamics, but understand Sal's point of view.

I also like the way your recordings sound. Very, very natural to these ears. How do you record and what gear do you use?

Lars

I kind of like that laid back attittude you bring to the song. I don't mind the lack of dynamics, but understand Sal's point of view.

I also like the way your recordings sound. Very, very natural to these ears. How do you record and what gear do you use?

Lars

Just use cheap gear. A Rode NT-1 that gets most of my voice with a little guitar and have that mic about 2-2.5 feet away, then a Shure SM57 maybe 8-10 inches away pointed at the guitar around the 12th fret, both going through a Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 preamp, and using Logic on an old Macbook Pro. I'll mix the levels between the two tracks, check the phase/polarity, add some EQ, compression then reverb and it's a done deal. Takes me about 10-15 minutes to mix.

Just use cheap gear. A Rode NT-1 that gets most of my voice with a little guitar and have that mic about 2-2.5 feet away, then a Shure SM57 maybe 8-10 inches away pointed at the guitar around the 12th fret, both going through a Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 preamp, and using Logic on an old Macbook Pro. I'll mix the levels between the two tracks, check the phase/polarity, add some EQ, compression then reverb and it's a done deal. Takes me about 10-15 minutes to mix.

I record in Garageband/iPad with an Apogee mic picking up both guitar a voice at once. I love the simplicity, but miss the opportunity to mix two tracks of voice and guitar seperately. If I ever learn to sing properly, I will invest in some new gear. No need right now, or as we say in Swedish, no point throwing pearls to pigs. In America, I believe there is a similar saying involving a polishing cloth and a turd... [biggrin]

You don't need more than you have. You've got both talent and just enough gear to capture it beutifully.

Lars

Archived