Gibson Brands Forums

Keep the Sigs? Photos and Recording Added!

BluesKing777

Ha! Nice woods...you're drifting far from the core.

If you do end up erasing the graffiti I'd suggest taking it over to Mr. Cargill.

I will be keeping my 'core'!

Mr Cargill has one same build as my Ebony guitar, but in Tasmanian Blackwood! All his fault, this Lowden stuff! Iwould have to buy though.....

CargillBlackwood_zpsijtyj58s.jpg

BluesKing777.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill Mack tells about the time, years ago, when he was hired to open for Roger Miller. Mack had just bought a new Martin D28. He was so proud to be opening for Miller that he asked him to sign the guitar. Roger Miller did so. As Bill was putting the guitar back in the case, he looked at the signature...Roger Miller had signed it "Bill Mack." Bill asked and Roger said, "Well, Bill, it is your guitar, isn't it?

[laugh] Difficult to argue about that!

Here is a short taster recording....

Standard tuning with strings that were possibly old when they were put on the guitar when it was made in 1993!

I don't think there would be many Lowdens sitting in standard tuning or played for blues, but here goes:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/chunk777

BluesKing777.

Coming from a guy who can make a barnwood guitar sound good, nevertheless, that's a 'thick' sound. Maybe the strings, as you say. Playing is top notch! Yikes! As they say in Brooklyn, you got skeels.

Not true - I need the very best guitar I can get my hands on - and hopefully there are more coming! What joyous days with new guitar! Let me froth and bubble for a mo' - it wears out soon enough, like with a luthier bill!

Now the Lowden condition....trying to suss out the truths - one being that the previous owner or the one that PLAYED it, would have to be dead or in Sing Sing. No other reason to lose this baby.

Now it appears to have been played a lot but babied, and the case has copped the brunt of a bit of travel, frets pretty worn in the cowboy parts, a couple of nicks and dents but not much for an almost 25 year old guitar.

And those strings sure didn't get changed much! I will try to make a few days to get the complete picture of the guitar's sound as it is and why I bought it, but I'm thinking the weekend visitors (Saturday - please cancel!) are not going to see me much but are going to be hearing me in the music room changing them...ba dah, ba dah, ba dah, ba dah..... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

More friend photos:

CargillLowden3_zpsnzyoogzt.jpg

CargillLowden2_zpshsj5s9pc.jpg

BluesKing777

Love the outdoor photos, BK. But people: are you serious? All this worrying about a bit of pre-purchase graffiti, and not one of you is worried about scratching from the brick weave, woodworm from the garden, or (worst of all?) headstock breakage from those beauties falling over? Really? Do we have our priorities straight here? Too much sniffing the fish glue...

Love the outdoor photos, BK. But people: are you serious? All this worrying about a bit of pre-purchase graffiti, and not one of you is worried about scratching from the brick weave, woodworm from the garden, or (worst of all?) headstock breakage from those beauties falling over? Really? Do we have our priorities straight here? Too much sniffing the fish glue...

NO Animals were injured in the making of this film....

I can assure you that I place the guitars very softly and carefully and not a microscopic mark is made! Wouldn't do it otherwise.

All my guitars look like the day I got them. I'm weird like that. (I have done more damage in my music room with mic stands and door corners). I lean the guitar I am playing at the time against my desk or amp while the guitar stands lie empty because I don't want them too close to my playing/recording area and to trip on the legs..... Had some fall over but I caught them!

Don't think the necks would break off ever, other parts maybe - the Cargill and Lowden are both multi-piece laminated necks made with multiple pieces of mahogany and thick rosewood reinforcement strips. Made this way for lower tunings not for clumsy guitarists.... It is the G and F and M brands that have the snapping problem, though luckily it has not happened to me.

P.S. nothing to do with these guitars, but the fish glue thing has come to the surface recently because Collins are making their new Traditional models with 'Protein Glue' which can be ....fish glue....

BluesKing777.

And look what I have to deal with!

This is the reply by email from my younger brother the bean counter when I sent him the above photos:

"Looks like a guitar to me …. But if you are impressed then I am too!"

Really? :mellow:

....and from younger sister:

A very nice addition!

Is it signed by Tommy Emmanuel?

She'll do well!

BluesKing777.

I just bought this 24 year old Lowden S35 cedar top with Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides.

But a previous owner got the top of the guitar signed by Tommy Emmanuel and his brother Phil Emmanuel.

Should I keep the sigs?

Interested to see what people here think.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lowden-S35-cedar-figured-Tasmanian-blackwood-acoustic-guitar-amp-hardcase-/262788752347?rmvSB=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=ktnY3TdRQ0VlftBzS4t04IiVluU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

BluesKing777.

Just play your guitar

Ha, thanks JT!

There is a scary video of the E brothers playing a whole tune like that!

That was the motivation for the photo. I asked Tommy to play a tune with me like he does with Phil. Needless to say, I was no match for Phil.

And look what I have to deal with!

This is the reply by email from my younger brother the bean counter when I sent him the above photos:

"Looks like a guitar to me …. But if you are impressed then I am too!"

Really? :mellow:

....and from younger sister:

A very nice addition!

Is it signed by Tommy Emmanuel?

She'll do well!

BluesKing777.

Sibs never get it! This might deserve a thread of its own: clueless remarks from bystanders? One that always takes me by surprise - always when you've scored a 'to die for' vintage item - "but wouldn't you rather have a nice NEW one?"😟

Sibs never get it! This might deserve a thread of its own: clueless remarks from bystanders? One that always takes me by surprise - always when you've scored a 'to die for' vintage item - "but wouldn't you rather have a nice NEW one?"😟

Yeah - "What do you want that old thing for when you have that nice one? It will look better when you paint it..."

No moral support around here at all, never was.

BluesKing777.

That was the motivation for the photo. I asked Tommy to play a tune with me like he does with Phil. Needless to say, I was no match for Phil.

Phil may actually be a touch better player but didn't go visibly solo acoustic like TE back when....

Have a look at old clips when they both play electric together - phew. Tipping towards keeping the sigs.......

BluesKing777.

Phil may actually be a touch better player but didn't go visibly solo acoustic like TE back when....

Have a look at old clips when they both play electric together - phew. Tipping towards keeping the sigs.......

Phil is an incredible flatpicker, but Tommy is much more versatile.

I first met both some years ago at the annual gathering in Nashville of the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society. Lovely guys. I've obviously gotten to know Tommy pretty well.

Phil is an incredible flatpicker, but Tommy is much more versatile.

I first met both some years ago at the annual gathering in Nashville of the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society. Lovely guys. I've obviously gotten to know Tommy pretty well.

Cool, JT!

If you catch up with TE, could you please ask him or PE if they remember signing a Lowden S35 and what the story was? They surely wouldn't sign a high end guitar very often, would they? Maybe they do, don't know, but I bet there was some real reason and some hesitation.

BluesKing777.

Cool, JT!

If you catch up with TE, could you please ask him or PE if they remember signing a Lowden S35 and what the story was? They surely wouldn't sign a high end guitar very often, would they? Maybe they do, don't know, but I bet there was some real reason and some hesitation.

BluesKing777.

I shall.

I've seen Tommy sign a lot of guitars in the spot where he signed yours. He very politely refuses to sign on the back of the instrument: either you want his signature or you don't. He signs where he signed yours, which is the spot where Chet Atkins's signature appeared on the Gibson Chet signature models. He and Phil have performed together very rarely in the past couple of decades. So, it shouldn't be difficulty to find out where/when this happened.

I shall.

I've seen Tommy sign a lot of guitars in the spot where he signed yours. He very politely refuses to sign on the back of the instrument: either you want his signature or you don't. He signs where he signed yours, which is the spot where Chet Atkins's signature appeared on the Gibson Chet signature models. He and Phil have performed together very rarely in the past couple of decades. So, it shouldn't be difficulty to find out where/when this happened.

Thanks JT...

Well, ask him about my Lowden if you see him and don't forget to mention that I was never contemplating removing his marks - it was the fully evil others here. And they have listed their names! [laugh]

BluesKing777.

Thanks JT...

Well, ask him about my Lowden if you see him and don't forget to mention that I was never contemplating removing his marks - it was the fully evil others here. And they have listed their names! [laugh]

BluesKing777.

As I recall it, a group of forumites charged you, can of Naptha and rags in hand, intending to remove the signatures. But, you risked your life and exhibited moves that would have made Bruce Lee feel inadequate, in your stunningly successful attempt to preserve the signatures. Guitar Hero is not a phrase I use lightly, but it most certainly applies to you in your defense of the signatures of the brothers Emmanuel.

As I recall it, a group of forumites charged you, can of Naptha and rags in hand, intending to remove the signatures. But, you risked your life and exhibited moves that would have made Bruce Lee feel inadequate, in your stunningly successful attempt to preserve the signatures. Guitar Hero is not a phrase I use lightly, but it most certainly applies to you in your defense of the signatures of the brothers Emmanuel.

Thanks JT.

Absolutely how I saw it too - incredibly brave act - charged by a group of mad forumite signature haters armed with Naptha and rags....except, I had the ZIPPO! [biggrin]

Though I think I got an expensive guitar in the trade very cheaply because of those signatures....sat there unsold until I played it.

So If I was to sell it (highly unlikely at this stage but who knows the world?) - I guess the Naptha would be out and the dirty black marks gone followed by a good going over with Virtuoso Polish then Cleaner and the other huge mistake the previous owner made will not be repeated - I will change the rusty strings! [thumbup]

BluesKing777.

I'm trying to come up with someone who I would allow to walk toward my guitars with a magic marker in their hand, intending to sign them. I can't name one. When you spill that first splash of gin on it and have to whip out the naptha, the sanctification will begin. That scrawl detracts from the beauty of the guitar. Sorry, but I can't get past it. jt...shame! Would you EVER let anyone sign one of your guitars?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to decide whether to implode my entire financial solvency by buying this...

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/product/view/id/135717?utm_source=EMAIL+WEEKLY+FORMAT+02%2F20%2F17&utm_campaign=EMAIL+WEEKLY+FORMAT+02%2F20%2F17&utm_medium=email

I'm trying to come up with someone who I would allow to walk toward my guitars with a magic marker in their hand, intending to sign them. I can't name one. When you spill that first splash of gin on it and have to whip out the naptha, the sanctification will begin. That scrawl detracts from the beauty of the guitar. Sorry, but I can't get past it. jt...shame! Would you EVER let anyone sign one of your guitars?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to decide whether to implode my entire financial solvency by buying this...

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/product/view/id/135717?utm_source=EMAIL+WEEKLY+FORMAT+02%2F20%2F17&utm_campaign=EMAIL+WEEKLY+FORMAT+02%2F20%2F17&utm_medium=email

Take it! Their J50 for the same money has gone! There for years and now...pppft, gone....somebody playing it.

Though I wouldn't like anyone playing my J45 with the pick so hard! Looks a bit like it was signed.

PM sent!

BluesKing777.

Absolutely how I saw it too - incredibly brave act - charged by a group of mad forumite signature haters armed with Naptha and rags....except, I had the ZIPPO! [biggrin]

I managed to snap this pic of you, flaming Zippo held aloft, chasing away the disgruntled forum members.

olympic-torch-1.jpg?w=960&strip=all

An incredibly brave act, indeed!

Really, Jed, that one's kinda rough, and has been apart, big-time. This, from one with a soft spot for guitars that've had a rough and tumble past. Depends on how it sounds and what kind of music you're looking to do on it.

BK- those photos out in the BK garden are always enjoyable; has Photobucket been behaving better for you? Dave F cued me into to the fact that Photobucket was working fine with Google Chrome; I downloaded it, and am now able to access the share links for my photos.

Archived