Gibson Brands Forums

Not bonding with my SJ200

sbpark

This could all be made up in my head, or maybe my tastes have changed. I had a 2012 SJ200 I foolishly parted with last year, and have wanted one ever since. Recently came across a mint 2008, got it for a steal, had ti set up, installed a Bob Colosi bone saddle and bridge pins, which did result in a slightly noticeable difference in sound (better), but still not bonding. The guitar has what I'd describe as a very rich bass and shimmery highs, but unlike most other Gibsons that have that trademark midrange bump, this SJ200 seems to sound more scooped, kind of like a smiley face pattern on a graphic EQ, if that makes sense. Maybe Im just used to my AJ and HD-28. Both are tone monsters, while the SJ is kind of like a J45 Custom on steroids that has the "Gibson sound", with just more of everything that a regular J45 has, which a richer low end, and the HD-28 is just a huge, warm sounding, more balanced sounding guitar (lacks the mid-range bump that J45's have, but still a very big sounding guitar). I also have a Waterloo WL-14 which is inspired by the old Gibson L-00's, so that thing is also a honky, midrange machine.

Part of me says just keep it because it sounds so different than the rest of the herd, while another part of me just says there's no sense in keeping it if you aren't gonna play it. I will admit it's a nice, pretty sounding guitar when finger picked or lightly strummed/crosspicked, but sounds a bit hollow/empty/lacking and somewhat harsh when strummed harder, and lacks the complexity and richness of the AJ and HD-28. It's almost like what I experience when I play a Gibson slope shoulder or a Martin dread then pick up a Taylor, where I'm like, "yuck, that's too clear, shimmery and pretty with no growl!" It's just too "well-behaved" if that makes sense.

Good thing is I know I can EASILY sell it for more than what I paid for it, or just break even if I wanted to sell it fast, given the guy who I bought it from, who was the original owner sold it to me at a huge discount because he needed the cash.

Maybe this SJ200 is really how they sound and I'm just more into how they look but not into the sound?

Wow...all that and not your cup of tea?

Well I have a home for her here if your willing to unload it to me.

Sound like you've gotten used the AJ/HD-28...I might have to stay away from getting an AJ/SJ/HD-28 for now as I might have the same dilemma. [thumbup]

Give it time to settle in before you let her go.

Trans

I hear ya. The uninitiated (which you seem not to be) see that big ol' jumbo and figure it will knock walls down with its' power..........but it ain't so. To my ears the SJ-200 has never been about volume and power, but about a sweet, stardust-like shower of tone. Not one of the warmer sounding Gibson offerings, a great lightweight strummer, despite its' imposing appearance. The maple versions do have a dry, tight bottom but, as you say, there's none of the famous Gibson 'thump'.......but that's not what the 200 is for. I think it unfair to compare your 200 to an AJ or an HD-28 as they are completely different beasts. The Super Jumbo 200 has its' place........perhaps not at your house.

I wonder..........what was it about the 2012 model that had you hankering for another, that now seems to disappoint.........?

Buc's observations of it's sound being akin to the stardust shower , (shimmer, to me), and not necessarily the warmest of the line, ring true here, as well. And what warmth it may've had went further away with the swap to bone saddle and pins, as you've noted the scooped mids. Gibson sends the maple super jumbos out the door with Tusq for good reason. Swap 'em back in, and experiment with strings before you set it free.

I hear ya. The uninitiated (which you seem not to be) see that big ol' jumbo and figure it will knock walls down with its' power..........but it ain't so. To my ears the SJ-200 has never been about volume and power, but about a sweet, stardust-like shower of tone. Not one of the warmer sounding Gibson offerings, a great lightweight strummer, despite its' imposing appearance. The maple versions do have a dry, tight bottom but, as you say, there's none of the famous Gibson 'thump'.......but that's not what the 200 is for. I think it unfair to compare your 200 to an AJ or an HD-28 as they are completely different beasts. The Super Jumbo 200 has its' place........perhaps not at your house.

I wonder..........what was it about the 2012 model that had you hankering for another, that now seems to disappoint.........?

I agree 100%, and from owning one in the past, I learned it wasn't about volume and power as you mentioned. Sweet and "stardust" as you say, is a great way to describe it. And although it seems contrary if you watch a guy like Pete Townshend play one, it's not really made to be hit super hard (or at least mine's not). I mean, the low end does resonate through the guitar and you can feel it in your body vibrating through the guitar, but it's not like the J45/AJ low end obviously. I guess if that's what I wanted in duplicate I'd get a J45 to compliment the AJ, right? Also as you mentioned, it's not a warm guitar either.

Not really sure what it was about the 2012. Maybe it's just my mind putting that guitar on a pedestal and giving it a larger than life sound as the time passes, probably erroneously. I think a lot of us may do that when we let a guitar get away over time me might make it out to be more than it really was. Most likely it was nothing special, just a good 'ole SJ200.

so what exactly do you not like about the J? is it muffled? or just to boomy?

Neither really. Just too shimmery and polite? Maybe a little thinner of course compared to my other guitars. Not great when strummed hard, but is pleasing when fingerpicked or lightly strummed.

I'm a big SJ200 fan, and what you're describing is sort of what they do-lovely rich bottom end, sparkling highs and a subtle midrange.

I find most people look at the SJ200 and expect to strum it hard and nothing else, but as Townes proved, they're a superb fingerpicking guitar and tend to favour fingers or light strumming.

I also have a '41 RI SJ100 with Hog back and sides, and that thing is a GREAT all rounder with endless headroom.

The SJ200 is a strong all rounder too, but it makes you work for it...you sort of have to become "an SJ200 player" to get the best out of it, IMHO.

If you want decorative maple but with a bit more midrange, try a Dove. Absolutely love mine.

'Stardust like shower of tone' as Buckaroo describes it is a pretty apt description of the super jumbo.

However, I disagree it doesnt have the Gibson low end thump, my J-150 sure does and the percussive bottom end bluesy numbers sound tremendous on it.

The midrange if you strum through it is not as prevalent as a J-45 or AJ, it is more subtle. But strike a rockin' Dsus2 or Asus2 first poition strum and that midrange and Gibson growl comes out clear.

Plugged in it is my favourite gutiar but quite a margin as it is a great strummer but actually has a ton of growl when you up the volume and dig in, but always balanced.

And lastly, it is actually not that bright, especially once the strings settle in. It has a warm, maple syrup type tone that infact is very, very sweet.

Thought it could be good to share again this vid from a year ago where i compared a few of my guitars with fresh strings. Note the J-150 I think sounds rather warm, even with new strings, and very warm and delicate fingerpicked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNcDl8cnCtE

Archived