Gibson Brands Forums

The Paul Hogan Show

Digger

In a thread elsewhere there was reference to Hoges being in comedy before he became known worldwide as Crocodile Dundee. Indeed he was, and he is such a funny bugger!

Paul was discovered when he was interviewed for some forgotten reason when he was a painter on the Sydney harbour bridge many years ago. Anyway he was an instant hit and that led to him having his own TV show in the 1990's.

Now Hoges really takes the piss out of Australian and mostly out of Aussie men. His co-hosts Paul Cornell (with the lifesaver cap) and his wife, the lovely Delvene Delaney were Hogan's managers and the brains behind his success.

Much of his humour is relating to Aussie people of the day and current events in Oz at the time, so much of that will pass over your heads but I'm gonna watch this right through as it beats the crap out of anything on TV here these days.

So you can see Dundee in a slightly different light and let me know what you think??

We loved The Paul Hogan Show when we were kids... well, when we were teenagers.

There was a block of time on TV (Saturday nights, I think) where it was The Paul Hogan Show from Australia, Benny Hill from The UK, and an Irish bloke named Dave Thomas(?) I think... (not be confused with the Canadian Dave Thomas of SCTV).

All skit-related, clever humor ... well, Benny Hill was more "silly" and slightly "cheap-shot" humor, but we still laughed.

We loved The Paul Hogan Show when we were kids... well, when we were teenagers.

There was a block of time on TV (Saturday nights, I think) where it was The Paul Hogan Show from Australia, Benny Hill from The UK, and an Irish bloke named Dave Thomas(?) I think... (not be confused with the Canadian Dave Thomas of SCTV).

All skit-related, clever humor ... well, Benny Hill was more "silly" and slightly "cheap-shot" humor, but we still laughed.

The Irish bloke might be Dave Allen.....a hugely popular comedian in the UK......[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I recall seeing some of his comedy shows in the uk before Croc Dundee came out. I dont remember what channel it was. I think they were shown late evening at w/ends.

Yes he was certainly funny. I remember his mates propeller cap.

Digger, there was another Oz show by a comedian of a similar time (late 1970s?). I dont recall his name but I recall him opening a show singing 'I Who Have Nothing'. He was in a dinner suit and had a harmonica in neck harness on. He blew the harp at every interval of the sung lines. It cracked me up!

I recall seeing some of his comedy shows in the uk before Croc Dundee came out. I dont remember what channel it was. I think they were shown late evening at w/ends.

Yes he was certainly funny. I remember his mates propeller cap.

Digger, there was another Oz show by a comedian of a similar time (late 1970s?). I dont recall his name but I recall him opening a show singing 'I Who Have Nothing'. He was in a dinner suit and had a harmonica in neck harness on. He blew the harp at every interval of the sung lines. It cracked me up!

I think that might have been Norman Gunston? Bloody embarrassing to think anyone else saw him!

I used to watch his show here in the U.K, he was funny. What's happened to him since the Crocodile Dundee films, he seems to have disappeared.

Ian

He moved to America with his wife Linda I think. Anyway he had a big blue with the taxation department here and I don't think he ever came back because of it. I seem to remember he and Linda broke up some time later. I think he might have goner into directing for a while?

Yes, I watched Benny Hill all the time, I never heard of Paul Hogan till Crocadile Dundee. If they had that comedy here then I missed it and I watched late night shows as a teen. Johnny Carson, the Avengers and Star Trek. He was funny.

Archived