Gibson Brands Forums

Gretsch Streamliner Guitars

Rabs

Love Gretsch. Had a solid body silver metal flake Gretsch from the 60's I wish I had back. I do love bursts too. Do you ever have plans to do one?

What.. a proper burst...?

Yeah, one day I will get around to it... after I have done the other 100 ideas ive still yet to try ;)

Theres 1000s of bursts already out there.. and yet only one half and half...

1489031951[/url]' post='1840282']

What.. a proper burst...?

Yeah, one day I will get around to it... after I have done the other 100 ideas ive still yet to try ;)

Theres 1000s of bursts already out there.. and yet only one half and half...

Yes, yours is the only one I've ever seen. That was the guitar that made me follow you from the start. Yes lots of bursts but the best ones to me anyway, are the ones that show off that beautiful wood grain and have a transparent yellowish finish that goes into a orange red burst around the edges. I started off liking flames and quilts the best but have seen so many I've lost interest in them.

I'm utterly astonished by how affordable they all are! Yes; even here in the UK ! !

The smaller-bodied thinline the Cap'n is playing at the start can be had for around £350 and even the most expensive of the big Jazz-boxes can be found for under £450........

msp_w00t.gif

NICE ! ! !

Pip.

They're really not that wide compared to traditional jazz boxes.

Gretsch are putting out some great stuff lately.

The Pro series made in Japan are top of line instruments. I've owned a Falcon and a Penguin and only sold them to help pay for my daughters wedding. Still own my double Annie (2 tone green) and I'll never sell it.

The Korean and Chinese Streamliners and Electromatics are beautiful guitars at really decent prices.

I'm utterly astonished by how affordable they all are! Yes; even here in the UK ! !

The smaller-bodied thinline the Cap'n is playing at the start can be had for around £350 and even the most expensive of the big Jazz-boxes can be found for under £450........

msp_w00t.gif

NICE ! ! !

Pip.

Innit...

And people tell me my guitars are too cheap [scared]

Love Gretsch in terms of looks, but I don't consider them good guitars for jazz. Obviously you could play jazz, rockabilly, rock n roll or nearly any style on them, but they don't have quite the right sound for jazz IMO. There is a reason many great jazz players chose Gibson archtops... and that was that they have the depth, warmth and mellow tone perfect for the style. I have a Gretsch G5120 in my collection, but would rarely use it for jazz and even the higher end Falcons and Country Clubs are just not right for jazz. Compared to my Gibson archtops they just don't have it. Epiphone ES 175's and Broadway's are actually a better and cheaper alternative for jazz. I still love Gretsch though, just never suited my style or sound too much. The streamliners do look cool. I wonder how they compare to the Electromatics?

They look nice...

I have a Gretsch G100CE Synchromatic Hollowbody - Black.

In ways it's awfully ugly. Single floating pup, controls on the pickguard.

It plays well, and I used it in a couple of stage sets, but no way around it, I prefer the shorter scale rather than the 25.5.

m

Archived