Gibson Brands Forums

Suspect Les Paul on Ebay?????

Rabs

[quote name='pippy' timestamp=

A 2006 with no holes drilled for a p'guard, though. Interesting. I wonder why not?

Can anyone remember what was on offer like this 11 years back?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

EDIT : It has thin binding in the cutaway; round-point traps; a Nash' T-o-M; a one-piece back; single-ring vintage Klusons...etc..etc...

Is it a Standard Faded with a pair of covers added to the p'ups? If so then it's a rather desirable model!

My 2004 LP did not have the pickguard attached (was included though) and no holes were drilled. I think this was common back then. I am not convinced it is a faded. Looks too glossy to my eyes. Looks like a standard to me.

My 2004 LP did not have the pickguard attached (was included though) and no holes were drilled. I think this was common back then. I am not convinced it is a faded. Looks too glossy to my eyes. Looks like a standard to me.

Yes; the glossiness was something which I noted but thought could be explained away by ten years of polishing.

I suppose it's hard to say with 100% certainty without seeing the guitar 'in the wood'.

eusa_think.gif

And there were definitely some LPs which came un-drilled but with p'g in the case. Can you please tell me whether your Standard has thin binding in the cutaway, zeplin? It was my understanding that the Standard of the time had wide binding but I may well be completely wrong!

Pip.

Yes; the glossiness was something which I noted but thought could be explained away by ten years of polishing.

I suppose it's hard to say with 100% certainty without seeing the guitar 'in the wood'.

eusa_think.gif

And there were definitely some LPs which came un-drilled but with p'g in the case. Can you please tell me whether your Standard has thin binding in the cutaway, zeplin? It was my understanding that the Standard of the time had wide binding but I may well be completely wrong!

Pip.

It has the thin binding. It may not look like it the photo and it all that I have available, but it is the same width all way round the guitar.

DSCN3917.jpg

It has the thin binding...

Thank you for the reply and clarification, zeplin. I'll have to try to remember that detail in future.

msp_thumbup.gif

Still; looking at the shine on yours it seems much more glossy than the one featured in the OP...

Here's hoping Larry gets to wander along the street to sort this detail out!

Pip.

Thank you for the reply and clarification, zeplin. I'll have to try to remember that detail in future.

msp_thumbup.gif

Still; looking at the shine on yours it seems much more glossy than the one featured in the OP...

Here's hoping Larry gets to wander along the street to sort this detail out!

Pip.

Mine is a standard. I was making reference to there being no pickguard installed as I believe was the practice during this time frame for most LPs. Sorry for the confusion. In looking at the OP a second time it may be a faded but as was mentioned prior these came with zebra pickups but they could have been swapped.

After doing a search for LP fadeds most pics had no PGs mounted and no existing screw holes.

My 2005 faded standard has no pickguard holes either. It came in the case. So the pickguard for this one is probable wherever the case is located.

That pinkish binding is common on the fadeds too. Really that's the only thing I don't like about them.

No.

They usually go for around the £1,400 mark so for under a grand? As long as the scrawl comes off (lighter fuel might work) then even if we dial-in buying an aftermarket case for £80 it means the buyer got a reasonably good deal.

IMO, of course.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm with Pippy. That Was a bargain! Perhaps rightly so with the pen issue to be dealt with but still.

Archived