Gibson Brands Forums

Is it illegal to copy a Hummingbird with over 90% resemblence to market them ?

gotomsdos

Hi, guys out there !

I have a law issue to consult with you.

Is it illegal that someone or company copies a Gibson guitar(maybe over 90% resemblence. But brand name and logo is entirely different from "Gibson") such as A hummingbird to market them (commercially)?

Any input would be appreciated.

Probably 10% would be enough if the 'copying' included the little orange label inside, the logo on the headstock and the pick guard.

It's features like that - not the shape of the body or the shade of the sunburst that would be considered infringing on a feature.

Hi, guys out there !

I have a law issue to consult with you.

Is it illegal that someone or company copies a Gibson guitar(maybe over 90% resemblence. But brand name and logo is entirely different from "Gibson") such as A hummingbird to market them (commercially)?

Any input would be appreciated.

Which country's laws are you asking about?

Have a long-time friend who has a Lyle guitar. It's a copy of a Dove and looks very close. All laminate. Made in 1968 in Japan. This copying of Gibson and Martin has been going-on for decades. Some of it licensed and legal, some of it on the shady side.

I can't imagine much of a reception if I arrived at my lawyers office and asked him about a counterfeit guitar

He'd tell me to get a life.

Yours is better spoken than mine - I can hear him now saying "What are you, a ******?" 😨

Nothing says Gibson more than a Kevin Kopp...well except Gibson

ya but Kevins Guitars are just better.. so are alot of others. Walker, to a Collings.. Just better..

Archived