Gibson Brands Forums

Test Recording

BluesKing777

I have the iRig Acoustic Stage gadget, a clip in the soundhole mic from IK Multimedia.

After all these years, I now have an acoustic sound instead of piezo krezzo.

I mean, you just clip the mic which looks like a guitar pick to the side of the guitar soundhole and the extra preamp has a belt or strap clip. I just like the plain ordinary default setting - I can now run any acoustic guitar I have, new or ancient, to my other gadgets - mixer, Boss VE8 acoustic guitar pedal, record to Mac.

The lead is skinny but this is the start of a revolution! [biggrin] (maybe). Any guitar - tried it in the F hole of an archtop and the f hole of a National - strip of gaffa tape to hole the mic.

Grabbed the 1944 Martin 0-17, put the mic on the soundhole and ran the preamp to my Boss VE8 with vocal in a Shure SM58 (also in Boss), and played/sang my version of Muddy Waters' "Streamlined Woman". Theory is that it should sound exactly like this up through a PA.

BluesKing777.

Science?

My science teacher at high school caught 4 of us drinking underage at the pub....and bought us a round! Talk about elevating his 'coolest teacher' votes.

But yes, the scientists have been working long and hard so the doofy acoustic guitarist can plug in and sound like...yep, an acoustic guitarist. It has taken quite a few years too long, but that is how scientists work, isn't it? Now we are nearly too old to make use of it, but......

And I have confused BBG with science by putting the extra gadget (Boss VE8) in the mix, so to speak, even though it is the reason I want the iRig, to mic and sing with un-pickup'd guitars. I can run the iRig Acoustic Stage setup straight to the mixer or amp, but wouldn't I just use a SM57/8 or Neumann for that?

So I recorded the iRig DIRECT to my mixer and USB's it to iMac and Garageband - I did put the mixer reverb on it a bit. I just played a few parts all over the neck of my most beautiful Martin OM18 Authentic to demo the iRig straight through, but on playback I think it sounds like some movie music where the stunning girl is sitting waiting for the acoustic guitarist to finish playing before smiling at him and sharing some expensive chocolate with him or something like that.

Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/seethis

BluesKing777.

Science.......................................... where the stunning girl is sitting waiting for the acoustic guitarist to finish playing before smiling at him and sharing some expensive chocolate with him or something

More like Science fiction.......

Nope, that is the earlier model for plugging direct to phones and pads.

The newer model (IRig Acoustic Stage) is a similar mic with a new preamp that goes on your belt buckle or guitar strap, and has guitar lead out, guitar lead in, usb out for recording, charging and the 'Big Button' (antifeedback with 10 chances.)

You can also run a lead in to mix your guitar with existing internal pickup for louder gig reinforcement, hope to never do this!

I was disappointed when I got home from driving big long ways to find the Lowdens have reinforced thick soundholes and the mic doesn't clip on, but after trying it on all normal guitar soundhole...Gibsons, Martins; I tried a strip of gaffa to the Lowdens' pickguard and it works nicely.

BluesKing777.

There's always a catch, isn't there?

I would gladly go through a bag of batteries to sound like this! You could get rechargeable. Fully portable.

At home, the USB will run it, I believe.

How wonderful is the Martin Authentic, eh?

I am going to buy 2 spare units, I think, and that would be less than I paid for the stupid internal mic that will remain nameless, which makes guitars sound like cardboard boxes!

BluesKing777.

I ordered two months ago this thing for a brand new hand built custom made for me drednought and now I am waiting it to come... I am waiting my luthier to finish the guitar too ;-)

I just got my iRig Acoustic Stage last night and tried it out. I've done a couple of A/B recordings with my SJ200 and the iRig through the right channel and a Rode M5 through the left. I will post recordings photos/video here soon.

My first impressions:

1. The pickup does NOT fit the soundhole of an SJ200. It is WAY too narrow. I used BK's solution of a little double sided tape and affixed it to the pickguard.

2. Compared to the Rode with no compression or EQ and the preamp on the "natural" setting (volume dialed back), the iRig isn't bad but, of course, a little harsh compared to the M5.

3. Once I balanced both channels for volume and applied the same EQ setting and compression setting to both tracks, the iRig is quite useful.

4. I added a bit of reverb and panned both channels hard right and left and I have to say I'm impressed.

I haven't tried it on my Martin 000-28vs yet, but the pickup actually fits that soundhole.

Very interesting! BK, do you know if there is a way to use one of the versions of this gadget to combine with for example an Apogee Mic in order to record two channels, voice and guitar, at once into Garageband on an iPad? I assume this little mic won't pick up too much of the voice bleeding in. If this is possible, I guess there needs to be another gadget inbetween the two mics and the iPad, or???

Lars

Edit: I think I might have answered my own question. One of these boxes works with two mics and then into the iPad.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproduo/

Oh yes, where would we be without gaffa tape? Left hand mudflap on car would be dangling, the ensuite shower bottom corner would need re-grouting, the bell on the bike would go round and round the handlebars dinging all the way down the street, and of course, the new iRig mic would fall off the Lowdens, Nationals, archtops and Doug's SJ200! [biggrin]

So the biggest complaint online about the thing is the skinny lead between the mic and preamp probably won't go the road distance, but you know, gaffa it to the guitar to keep it secure - be like old times with the 70s Barcus Berry!

Let's hope they go Bluetooth or wireless, but they do a Bluetooth camera clicker in their products so I guess the mic needs more room?

BluesKing777.

Oh yes, where would we be without gaffa tape? Left hand mudflap on car would be dangling, the ensuite shower bottom corner would need re-grouting, the bell on the bike would go round and round the handlebars dinging all the way down the street, and of course, the new iRig mic would fall off the Lowdens, Nationals, archtops and Doug's SJ200! [biggrin]

So the biggest complaint online about the thing is the skinny lead between the mic and preamp probably won't go the road distance, but you know, gaffa it to the guitar to keep it secure - be like old times with the 70s Barcus Berry!

Let's hope they go Bluetooth or wireless, but they do a Bluetooth camera clicker in their products so I guess the mic needs more room?

BluesKing777.

I used that double sided foam tape to stick the iRig to my SJ200. It worked fine. When you peel it off, it leaves a bit on the pickguard but I just wiped it with tissue wetted with Ronsonol and it is fine.

I just posted an unboxing and audio test YouTube video of the iRig in another thread.

iRig Unboxing and Audio Test Thread

Very interesting! BK, do you know if there is a way to use one of the versions of this gadget to combine with for example an Apogee Mic in order to record two channels, voice and guitar, at once into Garageband on an iPad? I assume this little mic won't pick up too much of the voice bleeding in. If this is possible, I guess there needs to be another gadget inbetween the two mics and the iPad, or???

Lars

Edit: I think I might have answered my own question. One of these boxes works with two mics and then into the iPad.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproduo/

Thanks for the link, Lars - I need a new gadget like that one in the link, my old Presonus thingy is cutting out and shorting the circuits of the iMac - they do NOT like these things being unstable.

I will use my iRig a bit longer and re-asses IK Multimedia [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

After a request (from the dog) to record my old Gibson L-0, out it came....

Now it is a plain old scary voodoo guitar that thing, and there is hardly enough wood in the soundhole surround to hold the iRig clip on design, and something in the soundhole tried to bite me. True. <_< <_<<_< It needs new strings but there is this weird growl in there every time I try to do just that, so...the strings are really old..... :rolleyes:

So I risked all to record 2 Frank Stokes style tunes with the capo on 3rd......

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/stoked

BluesKing777.

Just excellent tracks BK. Love the sound of that L-0! Wonderful playing.

Thanks Doug!

I tried the USB in to my MacBook and it didn't 'see' it - went through everything, zip. I don't need it so won't pursue the Support Desk, especially with weekend looming that doesn't need ruining hanging on the phone.

I then ran it via the J45 to my Genz Benz acoustic amp, facing it direct, turned it up to ear splitting feedback, hit the 'big red button', feedback gone, leaned in closer with the guitar for secondary boomy bass string feedback, hit the button again, gone, deafened myself a bit. Works great!

This is a game changer gadget! Funny, not much interest from acoustic guitarists on 3 forums, but I suppose it will be in 3 years time when the Homer Simpsons ask what it is like...... [mellow]

(I ran the J45's Baggs Element pickup direct to the amp - that is horrible without my Aura box!)

BluesKing777.

Another one - surprise of the bunch - my poor old 1952 Gibson got dragged out because I have a few little cuts on my fingers from cooking - enough to get in the way of playing straight and get the 'blues face', let me tell ya - in open tuning and some slide with the Irig mic - always surprising how big a sound I get from such a little guitar! It has an undersaddle pickup from years back to run to electronics like my Aura box but the irig is now the ONE!!!!.

No photos sorry - big dramas with Photobucket charging everyone 399 bucks for 3rd party hosting. Bye to those wankers! [cursing] See AGF for details....

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/slipping1

BluesKing777.

Good opportunity to test the Imgur resizing thing I have been told about with a photo from when I played the LG1 at Woodstock...err Victoria yuk yuk:

IPtlKFJ.jpg

Place was jumpin'

jNPimRn.jpg

ONuX01X.jpg

Only went there for tis sign so I could say.....

eC1mSq7.jpg

Practiced milking the crowd! [smile]

Wd4lvjz.jpg

Seem to have the Imgur sizes now, thanks.

IPtlKFJ.jpg

Thinking: "Would the 'Guitar Out' work for headphones?"

Yes, it does! I am not sure the actual use of this yet, except for practice with the unit's sounds. but anyway....the unit would be handy if it had a phones out as well as guitar out - could use it as a monitor live instead of floor monitors, but no way on this puppy.

BluesKing777.

Archived