Gibson Brands Forums

New Dog - Music Room Locked Up!

BluesKing777

It was a really sad time a while back when our old Labrador got sick and died...

We have all the dog stuff, dog door, yard, walking track, beach and the Boss wanted another dog for her birthday, so we rescued another dog:

Cujo's cousin, devil's daughter, hole digger extraordaire - one fully untrained and previously abused Pointer cross - my garden has gone west! And the music room is locked. And there is a hole in the old orange couch! And she has put on about 7 kilos already, according to vet.

GXwqBC0h.jpg

BluesKing777.

So sorry to hear about your ol' companion- feel free to post a favorite photo with her (if I recall) and one of your wayward gits.

Good luck getting Cujo II to understand how to behave around the guitars.

Thanks 62!

She has no interest in guitars, I see, and runs off if I play one...but I'm used to that.

She has appointed herself guard dog of the house already, to the fright of the real estate agent door knocking.

And when I call her and call her and call her and stares back to say: 'No!', well, out comes the big guns: food!

"Ha ha, I have the food and you will learn to sit, stay, drop, come back or I will eat it!"

It Worked! :mellow:

(may not have been quite that quick but you know, we like a good story.)

BluesKing777.

Glad you're giving her a chance at a decent life! She has a face that inspires attraction and brings out the dog lover in me, for sure. The Samoyed I rescued years back dismantled an entire couch before I got smart enough to research how their jaws develop and provide less expensive alternatives for him. Dogs are sometimes the best people I know.

Glad you're giving her a chance at a decent life! She has a face that inspires attraction and brings out the dog lover in me, for sure. The Samoyed I rescued years back dismantled an entire couch before I got smart enough to research how their jaws develop and provide less expensive alternatives for him. Dogs are sometimes the best people I know.

Thanks Cowboy!

Should see my garden! I didn't know I had pipes where they are now!

And in Sing Sing, they must wake and get fed at 5am with lights out at 7pm! I can't talk to anyone until at least 10am. Training her to be a rock and roll hours type next.

BluesKing777.

- bit better than jail, eh?

Thinking about it, I don't remember ever saving an animal.

But I once rescued a woman, who threw herself from the platform to the tracks, , , with the train comin'. .

Also spent a night in the penitentiary many years ago. That sure made me feel like a dog.

Aww, sorry to hear about the old hound.He was a star here.

Happy for the new doggy dame getting a chance for a finger pickin' blues filled bucolic life at Chez BK777 though.

Thanks FB!

It could be a while before the 'bucolic life' bit! Extract from a Pointer Dog site:

The Pointer is an active dog who needs one to two hours of exercise daily. Exercising the Pointer's brain is equally important. It's important to remember that this breed is very intelligent. If he doesn't have something to do in the yard or house, he will make his own entertainment, and chances are it's not something that will please you.

Pointers are very active and require vigorous exercise every day. If you do not have the time or energy to exercise your Pointer at least one hour each day, then you should not purchase a Pointer.

Pointers can be very destructive when they are bored or don't get enough exercise, especially when young. This can result in chewing, digging, and many other negative behaviors that can lead to expensive vet bills and replacement costs.

Pointers are wonderful family dogs who thrive when they can spend time with their people. A Pointer should not live outdoors but should enjoy the same comforts as his family.

Although Pointers do very well with children, especially when raised with them, they are not best suited for homes with toddlers. They can be rambunctious as puppies and can unintentionally hurt small children by knocking them down or swiping them with that wagging tail.

Pointers are not suited for apartment dwellings; they do much better in homes with a large fenced yard where they can expend some of their energy.

Pointers generally do well with other dogs and other pets, especially if they're raised with them. They may, however, be very interested in pet birds, and the two should be protected from each other. You don't want your Pointer injured by a parrot's beak, and you don't want him trying to retrieve your parrot, canary or finch.

Pointers are strong and energetic with a mind of their own. They're not a good choice for first-time dog owners or people who aren't strong enough to handle them and give them the exercise they need.

Training is a must with this breed because he has a will of his own. Training can take time, but once the foundation is there, there is no limit to how far Pointers can go in various dog competitions.

Pointers are average shedders and require only minimal grooming.

Yikes! Lucky for me, she is a Pointer CROSS!

BluesKing777.

Congrats on the new addition....she looks intelligent and I am guessing she can run like the wind! Rescue dogs are special....we just recently added our third....all three of ours are just "socially awkward". Guessing they were never raised around people, who knows. Well, enjoy the new addition!!

Thanks!

On with the new kid - a pity we can't do that with family and friends - just go get another one!

So the new dog has never been inside a house, through a dog door, on a couch, in a car...everything is new to it and it is nearly 18 months old. I have no idea where it came from before the Dogs Home, not sure if I want to. So it is learning all this stuff above, plus 'sit', drop', 'stay', 'come' and a whole lot of 'don't do that!' Plus I have started her running next to my pushbike to get a run.... until today, I have been lucky not to run into a lot of the local horror dogs but today, they were all out after work - I have to get off my bike and exit stage left with my dog across the grass away from the others - these are our instructions from the Dogs Home behaviourist, who we have to meet again on Friday! A bit of fooey, but they are doing their job to try and stop a bad match of dog and owners by screening a bit more. But if they could see her right this moment on the tv room couch after a nice, big doggy dinner....well, what a paddock she has found!

BluesKing777.

Very sad to lose a dog. Longtime companions - to paraphrase Ol' Cowboy 'I like most dogs better than most people most of the time."

My favorite thought on the subject - a quote I can't remember which ancient British writer - "The only problem with dogs, is that they are too short lived."

Labs are one of the most 'laid back' breeds. Pointers - we've only had one- are Very Active. And at 18 mos, she's at the top of her game, - like a 5 year old child.

She'll settle down. Most important to train them immediately on what are THEIR toys and what (everything else) is not. They learn that fast - trick is, you have to watch them like a hawk for a week or two until they do. Once they get past their 'teenage' years - they are BFFs for sure! CONGRATULATIONS - a NDD is always better than a NGD in my book !

(That's 'my' 2 y/o German Shepherd sleeping by my J45. Our other 3 dogs are there with him.)

At present, my Alaskan Husky is sleeping in my recliner, teacup Chihuahua (Cujo) is bedded down with the cat (Cammie, who's bigger than he is by half) in the kitchen, Morgan (the Collie) Arlo (Collie/Black Lab who looks like a bear) and Fred (supposedly a Labradoodle, but looks all Lab - named for Freddie Mercury) have taken over the laundry room. I love 'em all!

Some houses full of dogs there!

Do they like the Gibsons?

My Better Half was told by her work friend that to stop the dog digging holes everywhere, you put one of their doodoos at the bottom of each hole, so she has been out there doing this before going to work... [unsure]

And the dog just ran up to me working here on the computer, looked me straight in the eye and those eyes said there had been "Treachery" and that as revenge she might eat a Gibson! One in the hallway is the "Decoy" Bird copy, hope she gets that one first!

Meanwhile, I need to somehow concentrate on work - may have slip the lead on the dog and make her sit next to me for a while - every dog I have had hated computers and laptops! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Some houses full of dogs there!

Do they like the Gibsons?

My Better Half was told by her work friend that to stop the dog digging holes everywhere, you put one of their doodoos at the bottom of each hole, so she has been out there doing this before going to work... [unsure]

And the dog just ran up to me working here on the computer, looked me straight in the eye and those eyes said there had been "Treachery" and that as revenge she might eat a Gibson! One in the hallway is the "Decoy" Bird copy, hope she gets that one first!

Meanwhile, I need to somehow concentrate on work - may have slip the lead on the dog and make her sit next to me for a while - every dog I have had hated computers and laptops! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

All my dogs are OK with Gibsons, thankfully. The only digger we've had recently was a Siberian that I had to give up when I broke my knees and couldn't take care of her (theoretically my youngest daughter's dog, yeah right...) for a few months. The only damage to speak of was from my middle daughter's English Bulldog pup who did a good job of demolishing a new pair of $200 boots. All in all, it's interesting and not too stressful☺

Almost 40 years ago: "Hey Ma, is it alright if I come home - I have run out of money?" "Fine - don't bring that dog!"

It was one of 3 rescued dogs I have taken - a big black and shiny galoop! Now I had been working late shifts and I had a nice quiet rental place in the mountains with an acre and a half almost with Cyclone fence all round and no way out for doggie. I woke to this noise - the dog had eaten a mattress, I mean eaten all of it! And I went walkies because he was obviously bored and this kid saw me with the dog and said: "Hey mate, is that your dog? He comes over my place to have lunch with my mum every day! And she gives him the lamb bone on Sunday!" [mellow] You're kidding - how can this be?

BluesKing777.

Archived