Gibson Brands Forums

Question about for sale instruments

rbpicker

Olie,

The tulips were a drop in to the existing tuner holes, as I recall. I’ve done many tuner swap-outs and now and then you need to ream out the holes just slightly. I did need to drill a small hole for each to accommodate the additional mounting screw in the back. Overall an easy project. They really reduce the weight on the headstock, and look better in my opinion. They could be swapped for open back Grover’s or Waverlys, likely within minutes.

Hope this helps, Olie.

Roger

Olie,

The tulips were a drop in to the existing tuner holes, as I recall. I’ve done many tuner swap-outs and now and then you need to ream out the holes just slightly. I did need to drill a small hole for each to accommodate the additional mounting screw in the back. Overall an easy project. They really reduce the weight on the headstock, and look better in my opinion. They could be swapped for open back Grover’s or Waverlys, likely within minutes.

Hope this helps, Olie.

Roger

Thanks a lot, Roger. I like the overall look of those tuners more than the originals.Have you any insight as to how the swap would affect re-sale value?

Well, that’s a tossup. To some it’s an advantage, to others, not. If resale value is an important criterion, you may want to leave the originals. To me it was not an issue at all. I change out the modern tuners on all guitars whose vintage counterparts would have sported open backs. I.e. not a D35, but yes on a D28, J45, etc.

Roger

Holy cow things move fast around here sometimes!

Talk about...

I skipped the question because I never paid much attention to the Trading Post.

Then, this morning I wondered how this thread got to two pages and clicked it.

Sal, you are a MONSTER.........

Good luck to all involved !

Archived