Gibson Brands Forums

New John Mayer signature guitar

saturn

I know this will just turn into a big John Mayer bashing thread, but oh well. rolleyes.gif

https://reverb.com/n...-like-prs-model

Interesting story. Maybe not, but it is to me. A few months ago, another machine shop that we do business with brought in a part to sub-out to us. It needed some EDM work, if you know what that is. Anyway, the part was for a mold for part of the knobs on a locally made guitar. eusa_think.gif All we had to do was cut the entire outer dimension down, while making sure it stayed exactly around the same center line. Simple stuff with the EDM. Here is the part

O94KVO7.jpg?1

DkKeXSq.jpg?1

While the guy was there talking to us about this job, he commented they were working on some other parts too. He said it was some secret prototype model and the only thing he knew was the initials JM. I said probably John Mayer. Well fom the article above, my suspicion was right.

OK. Now FZFan can tell us how much he doesn't like JM. msp_biggrin.gif

He said it was some secret prototype model and the only thing he knew was the initials JM.

Actually that was MY secret prototype thankyou, but obviously PRS couldn't pay me the huge royalties I specified so......they went and got some other bloke.

:lol:

EDM is spark eroding right? Had some dealings with it when I was still working.

Yes Electro Discharge Machine. Basically a .009 wire with an electric charge, which cuts it's way through steel or aluminum. Kind of like a super precise jigsaw.

I saw the new John Mayer PRS guitar the other day online. I can't remember which online store was advertising it. It's essentially a PRS Strat copy, candy apple red solid finish, looks like a Strat. For me, it's yet another PRS Les Paul or Strat copy and if I want a Les Paul or a Strat, I'll get a Gibson Les Paul or Fender Strat. John Mayer, as a guitarist, doesn't impress nor influence me at all. Not a fan.

Now that is what I like to hear. The last 2 sentences brought me to tears. I have no issues with PRS. If I could afford the one I want I would buy it.

I can afford them. I choose not to. Back when we were having that discussion with he who shall not be named, I actually went out and tried about 30 or so PRS guitars. They're ok but for that kind of price, I could get a few Strats, a couple Les Pauls and have guitars that, to me, feel and sound better. They're just not my thing for the looks, the neck or the tone. And, I played the under $1000 ones and the $4000+ ones. But, that's just my opinion. There's other guitars I'd rather have more than a PRS just judging by the ones I played.

So if we are saying a new 4k PRS, how may new Strats and LP's could your really buy. We talking Mex Strats or Am? A nice new Am. Strat = 1.6K and and a new LP Trad T = 2.5K. So several Strats and LP's not too realistic. If we are talking new USA Made. Now you may have a different idea that I do.

Used? American Strats used go for $800.00 to 900.00 around here. Teles about the same. There's a 2017 Les Paul Traditional on American Musical Supply for $1600.00. So, a few. I get what you're saying though.

Now that is what I like to hear. The last 2 sentences really chocked me up. I have no issues with PRS. If I could afford the one I want I would buy it.

I've never been taken, with PRS guitars. I DO think they're beautifully made, and finished. But, I can't deal with the

headstock shape, for one thing, and every one I've demoed, SE or the very expensive American made versions, have (IMHO)

very "generic" sounding pickups, for lack of a better description. But, a lot of people LOVE them! So...what do I know?

LOL [biggrin]

CB

JM, Mr. I had sex with every hot chick on the planet, has 100 signature models. He has 4 or 5 Martin Sigs alone. Geez How many of us come home from work and puts on a JM cd? I can say not ever not never. Zappa, The Beatles, Yes, Led-Zeppelin, King Crimson, The Who of course, but JM give me a break.

And what is that picture of the metal plate. I never would have associated that with JM or a guitar.

No the plate was not part of the JM sig. It's just for the tone/volume knobs on a regular PRS.

JM, Mr. I had sex with every hot chick on the planet, has 100 signature models. He has 4 or 5 Martin Sigs alone.

I can't say much about his bedroom performances, nor could I pretend to care.. He's a great player, but how many great guitar players, are even floating around here on this forum.. (we all know... A lot.......) so, what's the big deal here? I don't get signature models period.

How many of us come home from work and puts on a JM cd?

I liked Continuum.. for a while... eventually, it wore off.

Glad to hear your the meds have dissipated the JM influence you were under. My BB King Sig guitar kills. There are way to many but BB is more than deserving. If they are done right and for an artist that is well deserving, it's not an issue with me. I can't stand JM's voice or music, but he can play. That is what infuriates me about him.

Ah! yes......... so maybe he needs to just not sing???

I'm sure he'd welcome any and all suggestions like that.. don't you???????

!!!LOL!!!

I know some signature guitars are fan favs, but I dunno,, I've just never "burned" for one..

Ah! yes......... so maybe he needs to just not sing???

I'm sure he'd welcome any and all suggestions like that.. don't you???????

!!!LOL!!!

I know some signature guitars are fan favs, but I dunno,, I've just never "burned" for one..

I have people all the time asking me to turn up my amp and not sing. :D

I would love to have the Ace Frehley signature guitar or Jimmy Page. I've played the Jimmy Page replica and it was NICE. I didn't have $10,000.00 at the time. I'd rather have a really nice non-signature guitar that I'd actually play though. Oh, I do.

Well if you have a Les Paul that is a signature model. I believe and don't quote me but this guy named Les Paul who used to be a fairly decent player has his signature on it.

well, I have 2. so.. I suppose, but not so much, actually.. it is then I guess it isnt. right?

Archived