Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson History

Beerad12

Given some of the latest thread topics touching on the history of Gibson; from Kalamazoo to Nashville, from norlin to HJ, and Ted McCarty's role in the company, I was wondering if you guys could share the names of some the books that cover these topics and more regarding Gibson history. Pip, it seems like you are well read on the subject. Any recommendations?

Thanks fellers,

Beerad

I have one,

Gibson Guitars, 100 Years of An American Icon by Walter Carter.

The story of how I got the book is interesting. Sent to me by Henry J. and signed. I had a guitar on backorder for a long time back in 2004.

Some how Henry got wind of it. Eventually, the guitar arrived (about a 5 / 6 month wait) a few days later, so does this book with a note, "Thank you for your loyalty to Gibson, hope you enjoy the book"..

I have one,

The story of how I got the book is interesting. Sent to me by Henry J. and signed. I had a guitar on backorder for a long time back in 2004.

Some how Henry got wind of it. Eventually, the guitar arrived (about a 5 / 6 month wait) a few days later, so does this book with a note, "Thank you for your loyalty to Gibson, hope you enjoy the book"..

That's very cool.

...The story of how I got the book is interesting. Sent to me by Henry J. and signed. I had a guitar on backorder for a long time back in 2004...Some how Henry got wind of it. Eventually, the guitar arrived (about a 5 / 6 month wait) a few days later, so does this book with a note, "Thank you for your loyalty to Gibson, hope you enjoy the book"...

That's really rather cool!

msp_thumbup.gif

...Pip, it seems like you are well read on the subject. Any recommendations?...

I'm not really that well-read - mostly just stuff I've picked up over the last 40 years or so. The books I do have which are interesting and informative enough to be recommended by me are;

'The Gibson Guitar since 1950' (volumes I and II) by Ian C. Bishop.

Published in 1977 and '79 respectively they might only cover a period of less than 30 years but an awful lot happened in that time! They are also of interest because much of what we now consider ancient history was still fresh and, in some cases, current - by which I mean he discusses models just being released or expected to be released in the very near future. They are just under 100 pages long (each), all the illustrations are in black and white and he gets a few things slightly wrong but still well worth a read.

'Gibson Guitars; Ted McCarty's Golden Era 1948-1966' by Gil Hembree. 2007.

This book tends to polarise opinions. Dryly written - some would say to the point of boredom - it is nevertheless a fascinating, well-rounded, impartial and in-depth 341-page account of the period mentioned in its title and it also makes mention of things which happened after Ted McCarty left the company. Again; all photographs and reproductions are in black and white but if you are interested in the History of Gibson (and of the acquisition of Epiphone - itself an interesting sub-plot) and not merely wanting to look at gorgeous centrefold-esque photographs of gorgeous guitars (there aren't any!) then it cannot be faulted. An absolute treasure-trove of info, reproductions of catalogue pages (both Gibson and Epiphone) and with interviews with most of the men and women responsible for all those iconic guitars we know and love. Highly recommended. By me, that is...

'The Beauty of the 'Burst' by Yasuhiko Iwanade. 1996.

If you are wanting to look at gorgeous centrefold-esque photographs of gorgeous guitars this is the place to come........as long as your tipple of choice is Sunburst Les Pauls!

Almost 90 'bursts from '58-'60 are shown in all their beauty and most are shown in five views (see snap below) which cover 'general view', 3/4 body ("'burst view"), 'back view' and both front and rear of headstock.

The 'Beauty', however, isn't just skin-deep. After all the snaps Iwanade goes on to dissect and discuss several important and fundamental attributes of the guitars. The chemistry of the dyes and how their composition changes over time giving us all those amazing variations in colour/tone. How the wood for the body was selected, cut and used. How the PAF is constructed and how various things add up to variations in tone - and much more! Incidentally the foreword is written by one Ted McCarty...

'The Les Paul Guitar Book' by Tony Bacon. 2009 (my copy).

Pretty comprehensive. Takes us by the hand and tells a tale starting with the genesis of the LP and then details the changes chronologically through the '50s, '60's '70's and so on in decade-long chapters up to the present day. In each decade/chapter he also discusses any other changes/events relevant to the story - such as the move from Kalamazoo to Nashville, for example - in enough depth to make the narrative an enjoyable read. Great appendix info re: model changes year-on-year and so on.

There's lots more stuff to be gleaned from other publications (such as Mike Abbott's 'The Guitar and Amp Sourcebook) but as far as Gibson-only books are concerned the ones mentioned are my go-to's.

Edit : Just for a giggle I made a pastiche along the lines of the 'Beauty of the 'Burst' double-page-spreads featuring my own R0. These are the views mentioned in the spiel above;

Alo-resfinished_R0dpsmock-up_zpsb1355c74.jpg

msp_laugh.gif

Pip.

1519388243[/url]' post='1919085']

I have one,

That's an interesting story. Uncle Henry can I have a signed book too? I promise to be good from now on.

I have one,

That's an awesome story. I know some folks are kinda hard on Henry but that was a class move.

Archived