Gibson Brands Forums

Cold weather shipping

Cougar

GAS doesn't seem to cease in cold weather (I've got 16o F. at the moment, and I feel a tickle coming on in the brain). Is shipping an acoustic guitar through such sub-freezing temps likely to cause damage? I know that a sudden change in temperature is something to avoid, but if it's cased and well packed, is it dangerous to ship in weather like this (well, beyond the usual dangers of shipping)?

Nitro, or Poly finish? IF "Nitro" then don't open the case, for several hours, until it's warmed up to "room temperature."

Then, you should be fine. The Poly finishes are thicker, and less prone to checking, but I'd still wait until it's at

room temp, just to be safe.

Hope it arrives safely, and all is Good! [thumbup]

CB

GAS doesn't seem to cease in cold weather (I've got 16o F. at the moment, and I feel a tickle coming on in the brain). Is shipping an acoustic guitar through such sub-freezing temps likely to cause damage? I know that a sudden change in temperature is something to avoid, but if it's cased and well packed, is it dangerous to ship in weather like this (well, beyond the usual dangers of shipping)?

yea, you def. want to avoid going from COLD to Room temp too fast.. And a lot depends on where you're getting it from and that it's packed properly

All will be well as long as it acclimates before unboxing/uncasing. So you'll want to refrain from the temptation to open the boxes, and uncase it when it arrives.

let it sit before you even try to unbox it. (it may be double boxed too) for about 3 or so hours, open one end of the box, and touch the case, if it still feels cold, then the guitar is still cold.. close the box lids, and give it a few more hours at least.

Stores like sweetwater, advise to wait 24 hours if the outside temps are below 35 degrees. (Slap a big ORANGE sticker right on the case too)

My last guitar acquisition was from Sweetwater, a 2018 Gibson SG Jr. It arrived during a weather "cold snap," and I

didn't open the box, until the next day. There was no apparent damage to the outside box, from shipping, so I wasn't

too concerned for the guitar inside. When I did open the box, and felt the case, it was the same warmth, then, as my

other cases, so I proceeded to open the case, and took out my lovely new guitar! It was "perfect," and no adjustments

were needed, even to the action. So, a little patience, should reward you. [thumbup]

CB

The new Gibson nitro is not like the stuff from days past. I tried to get a guitar to check and left it outside in -25 for hours and then brought it inside, did this several times and even used a hair dryer to try to shock it and... Not a single crack. I would still be cautious however if you really don't want nitro cracks.

To me the biggest worry is always humidity and guitar necks warping or sharp frets, especially when being shipped to a new destination. It will take a few days to acclimate and truss adjustments are to be expected.

My last guitar acquisition... during a weather "cold snap," and I didn't open the box... It was "perfect," and no adjustments were needed, even to the action.

OK, good to hear! Yeah, I was aware that you don't want to open the box till it has slowly warmed up to your inside temperature, but it doesn't hurt to hear that more than once.

So it sounds like everyone is saying that it's safe to buy a guitar and have it shipped. rolleyes.gif

I've never ordered one on line before but was thinking about it.

Every one in my sig was bought online except the Dot. Well, and the Motif. So it's an issue! I've had some real good luck with online purchases. Except in the past month or two.....

So it sounds like everyone is saying that it's safe to buy a guitar and have it shipped. rolleyes.gif

yea,, quite safe. I've bought so many guitars online in the winter, I've never had a problem. when ya think about it.. how do the stores get them to sell them to us?

Archived