Gibson Brands Forums

Musical instrument industry under investigation

Rabs

Huh??

https://www.mia.org.uk/2018/04/our-industry-under-investigation/

The MIA will offer all possible support to the investigation. Please contact paulmc@mia.org.uk if required

Musical instruments and equipment: suspected anti-competitive agreements 50565-6

The CMA is investigating alleged anti-competitive agreements in the musical instruments and equipment sector under Chapter I CA98 and Article

Case timetable, Date, Action

April 2018 to Autumn 2018 Initial investigation: information gathering, including issue of formal or informal information requests to parties. CMA analysis and review of information gathered. State of play meetings with parties under investigation.

April 2018 Investigation opened

Case information

On 17 April 2018, the CMA launched an investigation under Chapter I of the CA98 and Article 101 of the TFEU into suspected breaches of competition law by various parties. The investigations relate to alleged anti-competitive agreements and/or concerted practices in relation to musical instruments and equipment.

This investigation is at an early stage and no assumptions should be made that competition law has been infringed. The CMA has not reached a view on whether there is sufficient evidence of an infringement of competition law for it to issue a statement of objections to any of the parties under investigation. Not all cases result in the CMA issuing a statement of objections. Further detail of the CMA’s procedures in Antitrust cases is available in our guidance.

As a result, it would not be appropriate at present to include any further estimates of the timing of any later investigative steps at this stage.

....On 17 April 2018, the CMA launched an investigation under Chapter I of the CA98 and Article 101 of the TFEU into suspected breaches of competition law by various parties. ....

Oh, the "Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union." I guess it's good they don't identify the "various parties," who are apparently innocent until proven guilty. Their business would likely have suffered....

Wow,,a bit off topic ,,but I chatted w/a bandmate last night,,and he said the FCC is banning certian wireless gtr/mic units that are within "certain" frequencies,,and itll be unlawfull to own/operate the older ones that do transmit on there "banned" freqs,,,What the heck? that makes an awful lot of wireless units basically useless,,why cant they just leave us alone,,jeeez already.

Wow,,a bit off topic ,,but I chatted w/a bandmate last night,,and he said the FCC is banning certian wireless gtr/mic units that are within "certain" frequencies,,and itll be unlawfull to own/operate the older ones that do transmit on there "banned" freqs,,,What the heck? that makes an awful lot of wireless units basically useless,,why cant they just leave us alone,,jeeez already.

There is more to it than that, but essentially, yes. All of the big name wireless makers are having trade ins and buy backs to get the old ones off the market. It really isn't a catastrophe.

rct

• 2 weeks later...

Because the feds have sold those wireless frequencies to the mobile makers to expand on WiFi coverage? If I am correct its all in the 600MHz band that the older wireless mics and guitar senders lived in.

• 3 weeks later...

Huh??

https://www.mia.org.uk/2018/04/our-industry-under-investigation/

The MIA will offer all possible support to the investigation. Please contact paulmc@mia.org.uk if required

Musical instruments and equipment: suspected anti-competitive agreements 50565-6

The CMA is investigating alleged anti-competitive agreements in the musical instruments and equipment sector under Chapter I CA98 and Article

Case timetable, Date, Action

April 2018 to Autumn 2018 Initial investigation: information gathering, including issue of formal or informal information requests to parties. CMA analysis and review of information gathered. State of play meetings with parties under investigation.

April 2018 Investigation opened

Won't affect Gibson then!

Case information

On 17 April 2018, the CMA launched an investigation under Chapter I of the CA98 and Article 101 of the TFEU into suspected breaches of competition law by various parties. The investigations relate to alleged anti-competitive agreements and/or concerted practices in relation to musical instruments and equipment.

This investigation is at an early stage and no assumptions should be made that competition law has been infringed. The CMA has not reached a view on whether there is sufficient evidence of an infringement of competition law for it to issue a statement of objections to any of the parties under investigation. Not all cases result in the CMA issuing a statement of objections. Further detail of the CMA’s procedures in Antitrust cases is available in our guidance.

As a result, it would not be appropriate at present to include any further estimates of the timing of any later investigative steps at this stage.

Archived