Gibson Brands Forums

The power of marketing

RudyH

A couple of weeks ago some new member told us he was checking those fenders... and they all looked identical' date=' if that was true then all that road worn stuff is bullshit[/quote']

Yes thats true thats why they are cheap. But someone told me the custom ones that look all vintage a beat up are all diffrent thats why they are so much money.

The Les Paul's carved top was a marketing gimmick. At that time, Gibson was the only instrument maker to be able to put a carved top on an electric guitar so they did it to sell. Also, the pole pieces on the covered humbucker serve no purpose either, they just look cool.

Fender Road Worn are annoying guitars. Their poorly done, mass produced Screwed up finishes look like the Battle Dammaged X-Wing that used to sell for as much as a good X-Wing. But when you try one out, it Plays so nice and the Tex Mex pick ups give it such a great tone. I was playing that Road Worn 50's strat for like 15 minutes in GC, I usually give a guitar a minute ofr two before I move on.

So anyway, I was playing the Strat and loving it, then I'd look down at this Butt Ugly, Dirty Lookin' pickguard and the stupid looking worn out arm spot, and just get annoyd that such a lame guitar could sound a play so good.

Then I'd play a Jimmy Vaughan Strat, the same pick ups with nice finishes for $300 less, and I was feeling much better.

I just don't get the whole pre-worn out look thing anyway. Why pay for someone to make your very expensive guitar look like sh*t. Have some patient and do it yourself, over time, like evrybody else. I like to think that only non-players are interested in them but I know that isn't true.

Yes thats true thats why they are cheap. But someone told me the custom ones that look all vintage a beat up are all diffrent thats why they are so much money.

I know, I dont like that anyway... I want my guitars to look as new 20 years from now as they look today; and if they get scratched, dented or whatever, I want to know it was me that damaged them because I didnt treat them with care... not because I paid someone to beat the sh-t out of them...

Just my opinion...

Archived