Gibson Brands Forums

Journey across the pond

Megafrog

Yeah but do they still serve warm beer?

Ha.. We also currently have a CO2 shortage.. Which means shortage of beer and fizzy drinks and even meat (apparently they use CO2 to gas them).

My kid and I are taking a train from London to Manchester, he wants to see the football museum and the stadiums. Should that be fine?

Probably.. From what I know its on the outskirts of Manchester at the moment so the city should be fine... Who knows though.. The heat isn't backing off yet they said its so bad they will need it to rain to fully put it out.. Its getting to about 30 degrees at the moment (86 Fahrenheit ) which I know isn't exactly mad heat in some places. But our homes are built for cold weather with wall insulation all over, carpets.. Makes it all the worse at nights...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-44667762

I am getting ready to fly out tomorrow and have added a trip to Manchester. Any idea what there is to do in Manchester? My kid wants to go so I am looking for stuff to do.

Ohh by the way.. Time Out is a good place to find stuff to do. Also theres very good Curry in Manchester, they have something called the Curry Mile...

https://www.timeout.com/manchester

After going in the Dawsons in Manchester yesterday, I am left wondering how Gibson guitars cost so much less in the UK after converting pounds to dollars? 2018 SG Special converts to about $840 US versus $1099 in America. Les Pauls have similar margins too.

After going in the Dawsons in Manchester yesterday, I am left wondering how Gibson guitars cost so much less in the UK after converting pounds to dollars? 2018 SG Special converts to about $840 US versus $1099 in America. Les Pauls have similar margins too.

Remember though.. Cos of the way the yearly model system works the 2018s have been out since last September... We are about to get announcement for the 2019s soon I think.

So what do you think of out small island so far :)

Remember though.. Cos of the way the yearly model system works the 2018s have been out since last September... We are about to get announcement for the 2019s soon I think.

So what do you think of out small island so far :)

I love England. Last night was nuts with the football game here in Manchester. Part of my family is from Liverpool so going there is always fun.

The 2018s drop way sooner here than the US. I did find a 2014 melody maker sitting at Dawsons I almost made an offer on. They were asking £499 for that one or the same price as new.

I could easily be convinced to be an expat and relocate here.

I love England. Last night was nuts with the football game here in Manchester. Part of my family is from Liverpool so going there is always fun.

The 2018s drop way sooner here than the US. I did find a 2014 melody maker sitting at Dawsons I almost made an offer on. They were asking £499 for that one or the same price as new.

I could easily be convinced to be an expat and relocate here.

Until you experience your first winter :P

Apart from the issue of living in fully insulated homes. This place is awesome in the summer. LOVE the late nights...

Well have a good one and I expect a full report with pictures when you get back [thumbup]

And yes you experienced a very rare thing last night with the football.. I don't even watch football in general but even I watched that...

Until you experience your first winter :P

Apart from the issue of living in fully insulated homes. This place is awesome in the summer. LOVE the late nights...

Well have a good one and I expect a full report with pictures when you get back [thumbup]

And yes you experienced a very rare thing last night with the football.. I don't even watch football in general but even I watched that...

I work for a Danish company that sends me there in winter. Are English winters worse than Copenhagen ones?

I work for a Danish company that sends me there in winter. Are English winters worse than Copenhagen ones?

Well the thing is its not about how cold it gets... The problem over here is that apart from a couple of months of the year (if we are lucky).. Most of the year its just grey dull and damp out there.. Its that total grey dullness that gets you after a while, literally not seeing the sun for months.. Its hard to explain if you have never experienced it. And again I know they have it worse in other places but its not pleasant. The other thing apart from that is the total changeability of the weather which is just really really annoying.

Your pond's a hemisphere, when you come in July, it's;

"Welcome to Summer, flush the toilet on the left."

Have you ever been to the UK before?

Are you going to be in London?

If you're coming to London, I recommend the same awesome guitar strap as I recommended the guy travelling the pond that's hand made in London found in a place any guitar enthusiast'll love (Denmark St. London) (London Borough of Camden on the boundary of City of Westminster/Soho) - it's a very nice strap, my favourite in all my travels so far, and it's right here in my hometown. A world class guitar strap.

The gentleman who makes these also distributes these to shops up and down Denmark Street - they're called Bearstraps.

Think of it as a really cool guitar strap/thing from your travels to London if you want, but it's an excellent strap.

I know it's fun to travel and I know it's fun to have something nice that reminds you of your travel, and what better thing than something (for me at least) you'd use everyday, because me, that's what I do, I use my Bearstaps guitar straps everyday.

I use them for my Gibsons.

I’ll take particular notice of the toilet flushing thank you~

I was there for 12 months on a working holiday when I was 16, (1962/63) and there for a year. We’re going to be in London one night, on a tour for 5 days and then another 3 nights there and then on a flight (or 2) back home. Looking forward to it very much.

Thanks for the info on guitar accessories and whilst I have some guitars still, I haven’t been able to play them for some time.

Ha.. We also currently have a CO2 shortage.. Which means shortage of beer and fizzy drinks and even meat (apparently they use CO2 to gas them).

Chuckle....you chose not to answer my question about warm beer, was that an evasion?

Not that I care I really don’t drink now but it would have been fun to have a taste.

Chuckle....you chose not to answer my question about warm beer, was that and evasion?

Not that I care I really don’t drink now but it would have been fun to have a taste.

Ha.. Sorry but I don't drink so cant really answer that I was hoping someone else would... But from what I know, no. They don't serve warm beer in pubs... Im sure though if you wanted one it could be arranged... :D

Ha.. Sorry but I don't drink so cant really answer that I was hoping someone else would... But from what I know, no. They don't serve warm beer in pubs... Im sure though if you wanted one it could be arranged... :D

Chuckle....It ws warm back all those years ago and I’ve been giving Brits hell about it ever since then.

It would be embarrassing if I was wrong~

Oddly enough I got this through the post today.. It does seem the 2018 blowouts have started

wXGsw8v.jpg

I was only planning on seeing the Cure play at Hyde Park this past weekend but then the opportunity happened to see Clapton the next day and I am so glad I did! Eric is not the same player he once was but the last song of the night he was joined by Carlos Santana on stage. Talk about an amazing weekend of concerts at the beautiful Hyde Park!

...The other thing......is the total changeability of the weather which is just really really annoying...

Really?......msp_scared.gif......The changeability and unpredictability is one of the things I actually really like about the British climate and weather!

We were up in my old stomping ground of Edinburgh for the spring break last year and we had rain, hailstones, sunshine, howling wind, a tiny flurry of snow and a beautiful, mellow sunset all in one day. My daughter couldn't believe it.

Pip.

Really?......msp_scared.gif......The changeability and unpredictability is one of the things I actually really like about the British climate and weather!

We were up in my old stomping ground of Edinburgh for the spring break last year and we had rain, hailstones, sunshine, howling wind, a tiny flurry of snow and a beautiful, mellow sunset all in one day. My daughter couldn't believe it.

Pip.

Hey cut it out I want summer otherwise my lawyer will be involved....Grin~

Archived