Gibson Brands Forums

The summer voice

E-minor7

Heavy rainless summer here - one can hardly breathe. Assume the guitars are swollen anyway - wrong ? . . . No low-action probs for sure.

They actually all sound tremendous and not least the 63 Southern Jumbo seems to have reached a new level of wealth. Never had this much core.

Then again everything changes during heatwave and as we know people glide into some kind of trance. Half blurred, half hypnotized while melting on the pavements.

So what do I hear - are the sounds less dry, slower responding, fatter ???

And how are things where you are - how do your acoustics react to high temperatures without rain. What do you think ?

The blessed'n'dizzy deaf

No problem here, but I live in Florida, If it's over 77 F (25 C), the central air is on, and all is well. Outside now, it's 88 F (31 C). Inside temp about 75F, humidity at 43% right now. The guitars sing.

My problem can be in winter, when it is cooler, but humidity is high (60% +). Action goes up, sound can go muddy. You roll with it.

We live on our boat in Maine in the summer. It can get hot, it can get cold, but the humidity on the water is always high, unless a cold front has just gone through. My carbon fiber guitar on the boat doesn't care about temperature or humidity.

We had almost two weeks of cloudy days with drizzle here, temperatures were pretty mild. One morning I noted humidity was 92% outside (although it wasn't raining), 85% in my living room and 79% in my little air conditioned studio. Another day it was 90% outside, 84% in the living room and 77% in the studio. So we had a whole string of days like this. My 1965 J-50, 2008 J-50 and 2012 Martin D-15M were all sitting on their stands in the studio and look/sounded the same as usual.

Yesterday it cleared up and was beautiful with about 50% humidity. Was playing my 2008 J-50 for couple hours at a special spot in my woods out back until it got dark, it sounded great. Another beautiful day today, will probably do the same thing but maybe I'll also bring the 65 J-50. :)

real inconsistent here, (North East US - Boston Area)

The RH can go from 49/50 up to 79/80 in a matter of 24/36 hours.

temps the same. It was in the high 70s to mid 80s © and sunny this weekend Monday morning came and it was back to 45 and rain.

My pool water temp was close to 79 on Saturday, It's gotta be back to at least low 70s again by now.

I keep the guitars mostly cased when not played, so they don't really get much of a change to react to the climate in the house or on our deck.

It's 99F with 26% RH on our covered porch right now. Highs have been 95 - 100 for 2weeks now. But inside its always between 71 (when we're home) and 74. And the Music Room RH has been between 45 and 50 for months without need for outside interference. So they're all as happy as a pig in mud. And sound even better!

. . .

We live on our boat in Maine in the summer. It can get hot, it can get cold, but the humidity on the water is always high, unless a cold front has just gone through. My carbon fiber guitar on the boat doesn't care about temperature or humidity.

I've been looking for a way to fast forward past the zingy new string sound and get right to a more aged sound, in case an a/b/c comparo comes to mind. But what if the 3 comparators are all wearing different strings? Unless anyone can offer up a suggestion of strings that avoid the new string zing, maybe I just need to get thou down to the waterline.

In the summer.

Reassuring to hear all guitars are well, , , and sound good during the hot period.

And interesting too as a whole lot of people tend to believe their acoustics get better in the winter where they dry out and respond clearer/faster.

This could point toward the following conclusion = That we have winter-good and summer-good as 2 different sonic characters - both valid and valuable.

The dry, immediate, woody voice and the mushier, fatter, 'more core' swollen version.

The excitement and mystery 'bout these 'living' creatures goes on, , , , and on. .

Archived